• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audio Science Review's measurements are so different compared to other sources?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I just bought an S.M.S.L Sanskrit 10th MK II, saw the measurements, and some usability reviews, and it was enough to give it a try. Measures beautifully and it is small enough. The DAC ranking @pozz provided is really useful for filtering results by multiple categories. Thanks for your help.
Thank @Koeitje. He came in built the interface to fix up what was months and months of manual data collection and chart-posting.

That project is being expanded by the way. It's just taking a while.

OP
KeithPhantom

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now, the second part of my question addressed if there is a hidden agenda or if the sponsorship of many audio forums is interfering with the objectivity and interpretation of measurements. There are many myths that this site and Amir has a hidden agenda, and the other side states that by Schiit sponsoring forums such as SBAF and Head-Fi, objectivity could (or is) be censored. I don't know if any of these is true, and I would like to know more specifics and how they relate to any measurements and statements from both parties.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir doesn’t have a hidden agenda he has made it perfectly transparent it is world domination.
Keith

MRC01

Major Contributor
Now, the second part of my question addressed if there is a hidden agenda or if the sponsorship of many audio forums is interfering with the objectivity and interpretation of measurements. ...
Amir certainly has his opinions, just like any other person. You could call that an "agenda" but it's not exactly hidden since he adds his opinions to the end of his reviews. He's been surprised by his own measurements several times, for better or for worse. And he's double-checked his own work when challenged.

Of all the various audio groups I've participated in over the past 30+ years, this site has the most technical experts, the shortest half-life for BS, and the most favorable signal-to-noise ratio.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, the second part of my question addressed if there is a hidden agenda or if the sponsorship of many audio forums is interfering with the objectivity and interpretation of measurements. There are many myths that this site and Amir has a hidden agenda, and the other side states that by Schiit sponsoring forums such as SBAF and Head-Fi, objectivity could (or is) be censored. I don't know if any of these is true, and I would like to know more specifics and how they relate to any measurements and statements from both parties.
Well there is no question there is at Head Fi. I, like many others, have had factual posts censored because it didn't fit the image desired of an advertiser. I quit taking part in that forum as a result.

Others may or may not be influenced by advertisers. But do some rather questionable things in regards to what posting the for what could be many reasons.

One of the oddest things I've seen are over at SBAF's, where often Atomic Bob or someone else's measurements actually matched Amir's. Their disagreement was Amir calling a certain measurement poor engineering and the other site saying it wasn't while showing the same result. And then denigrating Amir's knowledge and measurements.

OP
KeithPhantom

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I think Amir is secretly a short seller. He publishes negative reviews to drive down stock prices and make himself rich!
As if he were a force to reckon with in the public equity sector...;)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Please prove that you do not have a hidden agenda for starting this thread? How about prove that I don't have a hidden agenda by asking this question? You can't do either, right? Easy way to sling mud at someone, wouldn't you say?

Amir is more transparent about his measurements than most people providing measurements online, and as another member has pointed out, he has been able to replicate Amir's measurements. He is not beholden to advertisers or manufacturers to provide products for review.

The next time you see someone say Amir has a hidden agenda, demand they provide evidence that such an agenda exists, rather than playing into their FUD.

Canuck57

Forum Donor

Specifically, it's in their financial interest to not piss off their sponsors and jeopardise future cash in flows. They can do this by presenting the measurements in the best possible light (examples have been provided earlier in the thread) and by favourable subjective comments. Their reviews never have headless Pink Panthers or Pink Panthers reaching into a Piggy Bank.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the FUD about Amir is so idiotic. I don't know the guy, but the site is clearly a passion. Nobody goes and spends the money he does then begs for donations and actually breaks even. It's obviously a massive money loser. He buys most of what he reviews, or gets it sent by readers, because almost all the manufacturers don't want real reviews. They want bullshit praise. Super Best Friends, Head Fi, and almost every other site, YouTuber, and "journalist" are a bunch of brain dead shills or cultists at best, and con artists at worst. Even if they're not paid for their "work", they don't want the gravy train of audio equipment to stop. There are a few other good sites that actually measure and intelligently go off the measurements. Data Bass and Audioholics come to mind. There are at least a couple non-English sites that do this, too. Nobody has had the dedication that Amir has shown, though. Nobody has honed their testing procedures as much either.

OP
KeithPhantom

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
LOL! No. THX is a marketing thing with minimal hurdles.
Well, I guess it meant something. By the way, I don't buy labels, I buy measurements.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess it meant something. By the way, I don't buy labels, I buy measurements.

THX R&D is run by Laurie Fincham, who I remember from KEF in the 1970s. He was part of a furious anti-BS trio with his boss Raymond Cooke and Peter Walker of Quad. They would have fit in real well here at ASR. I remember them saying, "If you hear musicality from your system, close your doors, shut your windows, and call us now! We'll be right there to measure it!" I can't believe Laurie does "just marketing" now ... unless California changed him.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
To the OP: If you’re not sure, just hang out on this forum for a few weeks. Amir is clear about what he measures, how he does it, and why. There are enough others here with real expertise that if someone challenges his measurements he will frequently either explain his rationale or test using someone else’s parameters. There is no way he could sneak anything past the membership here if he were trying to (which he obviously isn’t). There are enough people with engineering and science backgrounds who are willing to call BS that we can all feel comfortable that the measurements are sound and factual.

I’ve said before, if people are coming to this forum expecting the standard recommendations about what “sounds the best,” they’re in the wrong place. The focus of this forum is finding what products are well-engineered and follow scientific principles. No one is claiming that the top DAC on the list sounds better than the 20th; however, it is engineered better and Amir has demonstrated that.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
A lot his measurements are replicated by others.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
:facepalm: Traps for young players.(Dave Jones voice intensifies)

Top Bottom