• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU v2 + SMSL SP200

Maglix1337

Hello, so i have been thinking that it's time to change my audio hardware and i've got dilemma between THX 789 and SMSL SP200 (Especially with SMSL that it doesn't have medium gain, just low and high). For the DAC, I am definitely decided that i'll go with this one (SMSL SU v2),i read a lot reviews about it, even here on forum and i'm hearing that it is very highly recomended. The audio hardware i've got now is just sound card (Sound Blaster Z), which is not bad i think for beginner like me, but i have it about 2-3 years and when i finally bought DT 990 Pro 250Ohm and began to listen Loossles audio and especially high quality audio then i started to look after DACs and AMPs because it will probably or really improve the sound quality and stage of sounds but will it be audible improve by a lot ?

For the THX 789 there is just one problem that i live in Europe (Slovakia) and there aren't any retail shops that sell this Amp, i know about drop website, but i dont want to wait too long for hardware but if this one is better then SMSL SP200 by a lot, i can wait for shipment from Drop.

About SMSL SP200, does it really have channel imbalance where left channel is more louder then right ?

Or is there any better DAC (for example Topping E30 ) or AMP (example JDS Labs Atom) ? I want to just buy and want it to be the end game for me, so that I didn't have to buy another for a long time.

Last edited:

Budgeter

It seems like you are having really high expectation for the new gear. I personally think you will be disappointed because of that. Therefore, you should go with high performance per price devices like E30 and Atom. They are in the range of absolute transparency so you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between them, and they can easily drive 990 pro 250 ohm.
If down the road, you want to color the sound, then it will be a different story.

velasfloyd

I had this very same equipment: smsl su8 v2 + sp200.

if you are here you want to be free from audio BS from other forums.

- dac will not improve the sound. Only transform digital to analog. Everyone will sound the same if they are good enough (aka, recommended by amir)
- amp will only give you more volume, in the case you need it. Thats the reason is called amplifier

I sold both of them cause they dont improve nothing. Just listen music from computer or dap or cell phone and you will be just fine!!
Now, the only reason to buy dac or amp:
- you need more volume
- some convenience (inputs-outputs-battery-pot)

For example. I dont like to listen music from phone, cause it does not hace prev and skip buttons. So I have a dap.

I want a nice pot to manage the volume, so I have xduoo xd-05 because I love its pot and I can use ir at bed.... again, just convenience

If you want better sound, listen to different masters of your favorite cds. Or try different headphones. Enjoy your music.

now, about the equipment you are asking for, my opinnion:

- smsl su8: nice, beauty. But the screen is small and you need the remote to control it. Cant change volume from the device in itself.
- sp200: nice and beauty. Didnt found any channel imbalance at the volumes I normally listen. The volume pot is crap. Cheap plastic and I didnt like it because of this.

OP
M

Maglix1337

If we are talking about coloring the sound, i suppose, it would have cost me i expect even more than the combination of dac and amp what i mentioned. I know that dac is just convertor, but does it not really affect the sound to sound better and the same for the amp ?
So i will probably go with topping e30 and atom amp, their price is a good reason to buy them and after reviews they dont seem to be a bad choice.

Last edited:
OP
M

Maglix1337

So i ordered Topping E30 and Atom AMP, i am very excited to see the result of these two against SBZ. Thank you for advises.

Top Bottom