• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had some makers mark 46 over the weekend, really liked it.

Also had tequila, gin, vodka... No beer !

All in the same glass. Tequilla, gin, vodka, rum, triple sec, sour mix and a bit of Coke for color. It's Long Island Iced Tea.
There is a bourbon called Larceny which tastes a lot like Makers 46.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am finding Glenfiddich to have a bright but well-integrated top end with mellow tubey goodness in the mid-range.

As the power level approaches clipping eye-sight distortion will increase and channel separation will suffer.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Dogen

Forum Donor
The last of a bottle of 11-year old Havana Club dark rum we brought back from Cuba. Smoothest rum I’ve ever tasted; absolutely no alcohol bite. Apparently this was Fidel’s favorite. And it’s true, they keep all the good stuff for themselves.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
suomi-viina-muovipullo.jpg

and
schweppes-indian-tonic-water-muovipullo.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20200626_200957.jpg

At a Japanese-style cocktail bar. Lots of wood panels and giant JBLs. A fabulous Dark and Stormy.

Edit: and an even better shochu + umeshu + calvados cocktail aged for over a year in a barrel. I was bracing for a sickly sweet-sour taste with umeshu, which I often find unbearable but this was not found here.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone ever use dishwashing soap and a sponge with a glencairn? Ever since I poured a peated whiskey, the peat has lingered despite multiple washes with filtered water (we have a dispenser), and it intrudes on my unpeated stuff (especially the glorious buttercream, honey and cola syrup of the Craigellachie).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about some Serrano infused vodka? Take a tiny slice of a Serrano pepper, a slice of onion, kosher salt and cover with vinegar in a small glass. Give it 1 minute in the microwave and let it sit until cool. Add a piece of the onion to vodka on the rocks and drink cold vodka with heat. The onion will be very hot if you eat it.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
xlccbgmce7d51.jpg

A gift from an uncle just getting into whiskey (bought a case of this stuff). Very weird and processed. Smells like nail varnish and cheap pine like you find in Ikea. I went back to the (rapidly-dwindling) Craigellachie after - that dark chocolatey, butterscotch popcorn-y, wholemeal-y, herbal, lime and blackcurrant jam gift that keeps on giving.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
xlccbgmce7d51.jpg

A gift from an uncle just getting into whiskey (bought a case of this stuff). Very weird and processed. Smells like nail varnish and cheap pine like you find in Ikea. I went back to the (rapidly-dwindling) Craigellachie after - that dark chocolatey, butterscotch popcorn-y, wholemeal-y, herbal, lime and blackcurrant jam gift that keeps on giving.
My reference book on Malt Whiskies (MacClean) gives the following tasting notes for the 'Auchie':-

Delicate, fruity and zesty as new-make, with a floral-fragrant, light cereal and citric nose when mature. Smooth mouth-feel, sweet, then dry with roast almonds, fruits and butterscotch. Short finish.

Sounds rather nice.

S

Top Bottom