• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Round-up of small, battery USB DAC/Amp/Bluetooth receiver devices

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From their perspective, it is the right move. Trade and capitalize on the hype and fanboyism.

Hi,

Indeed.
I did not see that Bob replied.
And Qudelix's replys is quite honest to me :

"As we tested similar products in this segment, we found that they are all within the same performance range.
5K shows a slightly lower noise floor and marginally better performance than the others, but we don't think it would represent a significant difference".

Quite unusual for a product launch is it not ?

Still I think it is urgent to wait for objective measurements that can be mixed with subjective listening.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Doesn't sound promising at all. If they believe in their prosuct at know that the measurements are solid, why not let it be measured and gain some hype? It prob will result in more sales and ive read that that is quite important for businesses!=) haha
Because of the hype and fanboyism around this product -- and ASR has not been immune to it --public perception today is that this product is the bee's knees, the second coming of Christ. Why disabuse folks of that (premature and yet unwarranted) notion with measurements? Qudelix is playing it marvelously.

PenguinMusic

Hi,

It seems like your are on the opposite side and have already decided that this product won't meet your expectations. Sort of reverse fanboysm...

Me, I am thrilled about the features and the fact that those are the people that were at the origin of the Ear Studio ES100.
I am interested in it...
But I will wait for objective measurements and subjective feelings (not only sound but build quality and ease of use and reliability) before I decide to go for it or to turn to an ES100 or to go for Fiio BTR or Shanling UPX or to simply stick to my already wireless built-in B&O H9.

Regards.

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Because of the hype and fanboyism around this product -- and ASR has not been immune to it --public perception today is that this product is the bee's knees, the second coming of Christ. Why disabuse folks of that (premature and yet unwarranted) notion with measurements? Qudelix is playing it marvelously.
Well, how can people know it will be so good when it isnt measured? It seems to me that hype, commercials or top score (pre)review's doesnt matter at all if they dont have measurements to show.. and for the company,if they are sure that the numbers and values is correct it must only be positive to have it measured by the community, rather than let it hype up until the measurements show that it eventually isnt so good as they claim?( i hope it will be solids though)! Good products is fun!=)

karnana

Well, how can people know it will be so good when it isnt measured? It seems to me that hype, commercials or top score (pre)review's doesnt matter at all if they dont have measurements to show.. and for the company,if they are sure that the numbers and values is correct it must only be positive to have it measured by the community, rather than let it hype up until the measurements show that it eventually isnt so good as they claim?( i hope it will be solids though)! Good products is fun!=)

They are a little weird. They ignored their forum more than a month, now they are online all the time. They didn't make a Kickstarter, went directly to presale. All I know is they are honest and give very detailed good answers to questions they have been asked. I think they are just a very small team concentrated in making the best product they can. I don't think they are hiding anything by not sending it to ASR... It feels like they are just overwhelmed by the whole process.

What I'm expecting is an aptx adaptive codec capable btr5 which has parametric EQ and ES100 software quality with it. For $110 that's a very good bargain. People shouldn't get their hopes up because no matter what they do the chip in design has it's own limitations.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Go
Visit the Qudelix 5K thread on Head-Fi where one or two clowns have already crowned it King. Before they even got their hands on it. Is it any wonder Qudelix is eschewing tests and is betting on Head-Fi.

Hi,

It seems like your are on the opposite side and have already decided that this product won't meet your expectations. Sort of reverse fanboysm...

Me, I am thrilled about the features and the fact that those are the people that were at the origin of the Ear Studio ES100.
I am interested in it...
But I will wait for objective measurements and subjective feelings (not only sound but build quality and ease of use and reliability) before I decide to go for it or to turn to an ES100 or to go for Fiio BTR or Shanling UPX or to simply stick to my already wireless built-in B&O H9.

Regards.
Where did you get that? How can I know that since the product is not even out? I am calling out BS - people proclaiming it great before it's out -- and you call me the fanboy? Fanboy of keeping it real and honest, yeah.

Last edited:

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Go

Visit the Qudelix 5K thread on Head-Fi where one or two clowns have already crowned it King. Before they even got their hands on it. Is it any wonder Qudelix is eschewing tests and is betting on Head-Fi.

Where did you get that? How can I know that since the product is not even out? I am calling out BS - people proclaiming it great before it's out -- and you call me the fanboy? Fanboy of keeping it real and honest, yeah.

Yeah, i saw it! I`ll not bash anyone now, but im stunned that alot of people at Headfi believe in f.ex cables and other audio myths. And just the insane hype they create before anything has even been tested/reviewed properly? This is my personal meaning : doesnt it serve everyone in this hobby well if the community are being critical and objective to new products in the market? then we will get better and improved products instead of hyping up stuff that can be utterly crap?

Im far far away from an expert and im a newbie at headgear, but after reading myself up a bit there is alot to be critical about when it comes to high end audio gear=)

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Indeed, "reviewing" a product without having had it in hands is a little peculiar.

Reminds of that professor that had to review my Ph.D Thesis. I sent the thesis to him wrapped. He returned it still wrapped but still wrote the review...

All you can reasonably comment on at this point is :
- look
- components (as given be manufacturer)
- features (as announced by manufacturer)
- price for features/look/components

You can then draw some EXPECTATIONS, but that is all they can be... Expectations.
Those are what I have. And beyond those expectations, I also have HOPE that those will be met or even surpassed.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Doesn't look like this will be a measurement king if those -93 dB results are to be believed on those numbers.

Got my Qudelix 5K in and subjectively, it sounds fine. Mostly got it to use aptX Adaptive from my phone, the app needs some of the promised features like PEQ and better documentation as to what the buttons do, but, I mean, it's fine. Get a BTR3K for wireless (I like how it can switch between devices) and a Tempotec Sonata HD for wired usage and it'll be better than an all-in one device, I think.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
How Qudelix compared to BTR5?

BTR5 might measure better based on manufacturer stats, and is better as a standalone device since you can configure some settings like your EQ preset and device charging from the BTR5 itself. But I think as the Qudelix app gets developed further, and once that PEQ is enabled, it's going to be the way to go even if you lose a few inaudible dB of SINAD.

PenguinMusic

BTR5 might measure better based on manufacturer stats, and is better as a standalone device since you can configure some settings like your EQ preset and device charging from the BTR5 itself. But I think as the Qudelix app gets developed further, and once that PEQ is enabled, it's going to be the way to go even if you lose a few inaudible dB of SINAD.

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts.

But : seing is believing... And I must say that I already experienced A LOT of products that came with unfinished software and with the promise that the features will be available soon.
Guess what ? Those never showed up...

Even though I do not care about EQ (I am under the belief that if you need need it is because something in the chain is wrong : soruce, device or reproduction device) until the software isn't final, Qudelix won't make to my door :-(

Regards.

Moirae

Qudelix also allows you to EQ over LDAC and USB, both of which the BTR5k cannot do. It also apparently has better BT range.
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts.

But : seing is believing... And I must say that I already experienced A LOT of products that came with unfinished software and with the promise that the features will be available soon.
Guess what ? Those never showed up...

Even though I do not care about EQ (I am under the belief that if you need need it is because something in the chain is wrong : soruce, device or reproduction device) until the software isn't final, Qudelix won't make to my door :-(

Regards.

This seems a bit silly to me, especially considering the guy behind the app has an amazing track record with the radsone software. That software is literally the main reason I see people recommending their dac over the BTR3K for example. The guy definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt imo as he has proved himself once already. Of course everyone free to have their opinions though. Even at launch the software is already better than fiio app imo.

Last edited:
OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

The conclusion of the CLIO guy who curates a similar thread on HF is that the Qudelix is the way to go only if you need more power than the BTR5 and PEQ.

As I never go beyond 45 out of 60 Volume clicks on low gain on the BTR5 and don't EQ, I am staying put, thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Interesting because of price.

But how does it work ? It seems it has no DAC... Can it just be Bluetooth streaming ?
That would be nice... and a nice competition to the Xiaomi device.

Regards.

Have a think about what DAC stands for.

Also, look again at the linked page.

milus

Have a think about what DAC stands for.

Also, look again at the linked page.

Yep, my mistake!!! Forgot to mention it, there is no DAC, just " Wireless Bluetooth Receiver Headphones Amp"
So, it doesn't belong to this thread. Sorry, can't delete my post!

Top Bottom