• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Hifiman he4xx

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So here is what I am working with, so I own a pair of HD-650 and Hifiman he4xx, I run them off of a Topping D50S and a Schiit Heresy. Most of the time I am using the Hifiman, they just are fun and detailed and energetic, I will sometimes switch to the HD-650 for vocal heavy or old school tracks.

My 650 are fantastic for what they do and I do not feel the need to upgrade them, however I am getting the itch to upgrade the Hifiman, I dig their sound and am looking for something with a similar sound signature but improved (planar), hoping for improved treble and less peaky upper mid range. I have been eye balling the Ananda, but a lot of reviewers say they aren't as fun sounding, and that they lack slam. I cannot or shall I say "Should not afford" the Arya, to rich for my blood.

Is there a logical upgrade path from the he4xx? preferably under $1200? any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

So here is what I am working with, so I own a pair of HD-650 and Hifiman he4xx, I run them off of a Topping D50S and a Schiit Heresy. Most of the time I am using the Hifiman, they just are fun and detailed and energetic, I will sometimes switch to the HD-650 for vocal heavy or old school tracks.

My 650 are fantastic for what they do and I do not feel the need to upgrade them, however I am getting the itch to upgrade the Hifiman, I dig their sound and am looking for something with a similar sound signature but improved (planar), hoping for improved treble and less peaky upper mid range. I have been eye balling the Ananda, but a lot of reviewers say they aren't as fun sounding, and that they lack slam. I cannot or shall I say "Should not afford" the Arya, to rich for my blood.

Is there a logical upgrade path from the he4xx? preferably under $1200? any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

The "logical" upgrade path would be to look up Oratory1990's recommended EQ settings for these headphones. Also, try some crossfeed or spatial plugins, like Goodhertz CanOpener (my current favorite). You're already at a pretty high level of transducers and they will handle a fair amount of EQ without any noticeable distortion.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
As a 400i lover, I strongly recommend the Monoprice 565c

Might not scratch the money-spending itch (they’re around $200), but they’re great.

For $$$, check out the Aeon 2.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audeze lcd. You might get the X for that money, creators edition. Failing that the 2, failing that the 2 classic (2c)

Theriverlethe

Audeze lcd. You might get the X for that money, creators edition. Failing that the 2, failing that the 2 classic (2c)

I had LCD-X before “graduating” to home theater and they are excellent. I still think they need EQ like all headphones, but Audeze’s Reveal program might make this easier. I can’t honestly say they sound better than a much cheaper pair once both are EQ’ed, and the ridiculous weight might be an issue.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had LCD-X before “graduating” to home theater and they are excellent. I still think they need EQ like all headphones, but Audeze’s Reveal program might make this easier. I can’t honestly say they sound better than a much cheaper pair once both are EQ’ed, and the ridiculous weight might be an issue.

We might have to agree to disagree on that (much cheaper as good when EQ) .

Theriverlethe

We might have to agree to disagree on that (much cheaper as good when EQ) .

I haven’t heard LCD-X in years, so my memory is of course unreliable. Have you heard the HE4XX? I think they’re incredible for $150, but I wouldn’t pay more than that for a Hifiman set with their notorious QC issues even in expensive models.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I am starting to lean Hifiman Edition X V2 or maybe even switching gears and going with ZMF Aeolus. Any thoughts? because with the ability to audition these, there is a certain risk to it.

Last edited:

bravomail

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I am starting to lean Hifiman Edition X V2 or maybe even switching gears and going with ZMF Aeolus. Any thoughts? because with the ability to audition these, there is a certain risk to it.

Try AKG K7xx. They are wonderful.

Top Bottom