• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

ta240

Major Contributor
What we are trying to do now is create products for everyone. Schiit will be producing many more items that satiate your palate. Count on it.

Great, there are already a lot of products on your site calling for my money.

I just placed a tiny order today (loki); I'm a big fan of Mr. Stoddard's description of how your company was/is handling things in the pandemic.

AudioTodd

Yes, one has been offered for testing.
Hopefully they will send the unit equipped with the DAC module! I would really like something I could take when I travel and have extended hotel stays without having to haul my spare DAC3 HGC and risking it getting stolen, dropped or forgotten by my aging self. Something with the current Schiit performance, all-in-one convenience and at nearly 10% of the price would be in my shopping cart immediately!

AND if I forgot it, I could chalk that up to spreading good sound to someone who might never experience it otherwise! I’d just better remember to forget the manual and my headphones alongside it I guess... :)

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, to be forthright, the owners of this company are not simply interested in creating products with the highest SINAD. If certain customers create a demand we will fill it. There are people who claim there are audible differences and they are less inclined to believe that the lowest possible distortion is as important. So we make things for them as well.

What we are trying to do now is create products for everyone. Schiit will be producing many more items that satiate your palate. Count on it.
All i want is all in one package with latest tech. Modius and heresy in one package. Screen and equalizer knobs to the front panel if possible. Make it $299.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With Modi included please. Being all in one im curious how it will affect the measurements.
You do know there are APx555 measurements in Schiit's website, right? Spoiler: Asgard 3 measurements are not that great.

bboris77

You do know there are APx555 measurements in Schiit's website, right? Spoiler: it is not that great.

As an owner of a pure amp Asgard 3, I can tell you that it performs and measures exceptionally well with high impedance headphones at both gain settings. I would love to see a comparison of the frequency response at both gain settings to see if it is perfectly flat in either one.

It will be fascinating to see what the measurements show because a lot of people have stated that this amp is on the warmer side especially using the high gain setting with less negative feedback. Keep in mind that it is also biased into Class A up to 500mW, so it would be interesting to see what exactly happens measurement-wise before and after this threshold is exceeded.

BobPM

I'm over 60, maybe an effects box is the way to go. :confused:

Neutron

... with less negative feedback...

Do you mind sharing some thought on that? I have came across the anti-negative-feedback comments a few times from several unrelated places/circles. However i don't understand the rationale behind it.

bboris77

Do you mind sharing some thought on that? I have came across the anti-negative-feedback comments a few times from several unrelated places/circles. However i don't understand the rationale behind it.
Oh, I’m not touching that with a ten foot pole. ;) Well here it is: While I may or may not believe this, there is a theory in the subjectivist circles that too much negative feedback somehow deadens the sound. Keep in mind that most audio engineers have repeatedly stated that negative feedback is not a bad thing and is necessary to lower the gain of an amplifier and eliminate distortions.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wasn't the Schiit brand a subjectivist favourite?

Just wondering if we're going to see complaints that ASR has "ruined" Shiit...
I do wonder if on that front the extra distortion from the multibit designs ends up doing something kinda like what a tape deck does - the distinct nonlinearities end up doing something that some find pleasing to the ear - "euphonic distortion" I've heard it called? I've never heard one in person, so I couldn't tell you myself. I wager that other than confirmation bias and similar, that would be what it is. My bet's on confirmation bias, though.

There's a grain of truth behind it, actually...
Too much negative feedback can do strange things to the phase response of an amplifier stage, and in worst case scenarios can cause oscillation that actually degrades performance or worse can damage the amp. I have to imagine that's where the whole idea of "less NFB = better" came from. But interestingly enough, too little can cause its own issues. A too-small amount of NFB can cancel the (mostly masked) 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion but leave the (not mostly masked) upper overtones, which get real ugly (and real audible) real fast.

Top Bottom