• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sal's system

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sal, or anyone who lse would like to chime in,

Quick question regarding the Marantz pre pro...

Can it be used in such a way if I can use Audiolense DSP for crossover convolutions?

Jut curious if I decide to go digital crossovers with a new speaker design could the Marantz have that option?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sal, or anyone who lse would like to chime in,
Not sure I really understand the big picture enough to be able to properly guide you.
Maybe someone like @Kal Rubinson has the experience to really help.
Sorry

Trdat

Forum Donor
Not sure I really understand the big picture enough to be able to properly guide you.
Maybe someone like @Kal Rubinson has the experience to really help.
Sorry

Look, I am presuming no. There are dedicated multichannel DAC's intended for digital crossovers I just thought ill ask cause there are so many options on pre pro's that it might be possible.

Basically to clarify what I am saying is if I was to use DSP for crossover instead of a passive one would the marantz be capable to manage that.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Basically to clarify what I am saying is if I was to use DSP for crossover instead of a passive one would the marantz be capable to manage that.
Depends on what you mean by manage that. It is possible to feed 8 analog channels into the 7.1 input and have them pass undisturbed from the output jacks under the master volume control. However, all you would be getting from the Marantz would be the volume control because, if you wanted to use the prepro for any other purpose, you would have to reconnect all the outputs to a more standard arrangement.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Depends on what you mean by manage that. It is possible to feed 8 analog channels into the 7.1 input and have them pass undisturbed from the output jacks under the master volume control. However, all you would be getting from the Marantz would be the volume control because, if you wanted to use the prepro for any other purpose, you would have to reconnect all the outputs to a more standard arrangement.

I've had a total memory blank(perhaps its just a lazy weekend), and trying to figure out how I would potentially use the Marantz with digital DSP filters and if its at all possible.

With a multichannel DAC the filters are set from the PC and allocated to each DAC in the multichannel DAC but in the Marantz would the software allow for directing a certain frequency range to each set of outputs say using the remaining height channel or side rears as bass range and tweeter range.

I'm guessing this would not be at all be possible on the Marantz but is there a way around this? Can we connect another multichannel DAC to the Marantz? I am also guessing this is out of the question as well...

It's just a loop hole I was thinking of during the weekend which I thought perhaps it had a possible avenue but like I said I doubt it.

I am guessing more expensive pre pros will have an option like this to use it as a multichannel set up and utilise it for DSP filters.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
With a multichannel DAC the filters are set from the PC and allocated to each DAC in the multichannel DAC but in the Marantz would the software allow for directing a certain frequency range to each set of outputs say using the remaining height channel or side rears as bass range and tweeter range.
Not as far as I know.
I'm guessing this would not be at all be possible on the Marantz but is there a way around this? Can we connect another multichannel DAC to the Marantz? I am also guessing this is out of the question as well...
You can. I am running one system with the Oppo 205 as the dac feeding the multichannel analog inputs of the Marantz but the Marantz will not do any processing or DSP on the input except for volume control.
I am guessing more expensive pre pros will have an option like this to use it as a multichannel set up and utilise it for DSP filters.
Buy a Trinnov.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Trdat

Forum Donor
You can. I am running one system with the Oppo 205 as the dac feeding the multichannel analog inputs of the Marantz but the Marantz will not do any processing or DSP on the input except for volume control.

I don't think that is what I am looking for, if I am not mistaken you are essentially just connecting a DVD player to the Marantz right? I just don't get the but why its connected to the multichannel inputs and not the general audio in.

Can we use the optical out of the Marantz for a multichannel DAC but again I highly doubt it...?
(I'm guessing we need a new thread for this to get a few other inputs from others, I am highly doubting what I am suggesting exists but its definitely worth a ask from my end...)

Buy a Trinnov.

I had a feeling the Trinnov would perform most of the functions I am talking about. I bought the Marantz AV7005 on the cheap, well as cheap as I could find to manage my multichannel duties.

I am moving forward with an unpredictable move and instead of purchasing a centre speaker for my already owned wide dispersion speaker, I will be buying narrow dispersion speakers with a compression driver that way I can fill my void of this type of speaker. Then I will see which type I prefer and set up a multichannel according to the speaker I prefer.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't think that is what I am looking for, if I am not mistaken you are essentially just connecting a DVD player to the Marantz right? I just don't get the but why its connected to the multichannel inputs and not the general audio in.
I am using the 205 as a multichannel DAC getting its input from my streamer.
Can we use the optical out of the Marantz for a multichannel DAC but again I highly doubt it...?
You are correct. Such an output would be stereo/2channel only.
(I'm guessing we need a new thread for this to get a few other inputs from others, I am highly doubting what I am suggesting exists but its definitely worth a ask from my end...)
In general today, multichannel AVRs and prepros are designed primarily to handle digital inputs. Trinnov, otoh, can accept multichannel digital over ethernet/LAN as well as HDMI. It also has 7.1 analog inputs.

Trdat

Forum Donor
You are correct. Such an output would be stereo/2channel only.

On this note just to confirm, the optical out from my Marantz AV7005 can hook up and play my standard stereo set-up while simultaneously playing the rear and centre channels?

Essentially making use of my already descent DAC(from the optical out) for the stereo image and utilising the Marantz for centre and rears....

Have I understood this correctly?

Any disadvantages? I mean, the optical out signal would have no digital to analogue conversion but would it have the any of the processing such as Dolby or dynamic EQ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
On this note just to confirm, the optical out from my Marantz AV7005 can hook up and play my standard stereo set-up while simultaneously playing the rear and centre channels?
I seriously doubt that this is possible but, then again, I've never tried it.....................nor will I.

Trdat

Forum Donor
I seriously doubt that this is possible but, then again, I've never tried it.....................nor will I.

Thanks for the response. I will try when I get my Marantz but its not the be all and end all, I just thought it might be possible.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How's the new speakers going big spender ?
Totally awesome!
I'm amazed at the improvement in inner detail and mid to low bass. Not that my HSU's were poor reproducers, for the money I don't think you can find better speakers, but I did always feel that they were slightly veiled. I hate to start sounding like a magazine writer but so many recordings seem to be revealing musical parts that I never noticed before. Much of it could easily be from listening more closely than I have in the resent past or FR differences, etc, etc. The bottom line is I very pleased with these new JBL's
I haven't had an opportunity to hear many other (any?) top flight multich rigs but this setup has continued to amaze me with the solid imaging I get not only in front but wrapping around both sides. From the better 5.1 mastered albums like much of Steven Wilsons stuff the immersive staging puts you right in the middle of the performers.
I'm glad I went with the 3600's over the 1600s. Even using the same 2 HSU subwoofers I used before, the bass is a major improvement. I spent quite a bit of time listening to the 1600's in the system and though they sounded excellent, they still exhibited that mid-low bass weakness I hear from all small 2 way stand mounts. I did a quick and dirty run of Audyssey Editor but still have to do a lot more tweaking and the follow up with REW/Umik to see the actual final results. I really hate doing that stuff now-a-days unlike when I was younger when I could spend weeks messing around. Now I just want to kick back and listen to music
I believe JBL has done one heck of a job designing a more affordable group of speakers for their Synthesis line. I think I came reasonably close to my fantisy of a 5.1 M2 home rig. I stretched my budget to the breaking point but happy I did.
Warning to all, if you're thinking of trying to releave me of this system, bring a lot of ammo. ;)
PS, I'll be updating the OP with new photos, etc soon.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I really hate doing that stuff now-a-days unlike when I was younger when I could spend weeks messing around.
I am that way too as I am sure you all have noticed when you keep asking to test this and that other thing. :) Once I get something that is close, I am done.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've updated the OP to reflect the current state of the system.
Wish I could update the room but it is what it is.
More small changes coming soon, nothing to speak of right now. ;)
No comments on my cable management please. LOL

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Trdat

Forum Donor
Awesome! So essentially you got a 9.1 set up, did I count correctly?

And two SVS subs, it should rock.

I got my desktop hooked up to a large screen TV with my mouse and keyboard on a table right infront me. Full control like a king. Is yours smart TV or set up like mine?

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 where did you get this?!

1612035166308.png

My dad had one of these when I was a kid. Wonder what happend to it... Very fond memories.

Also, very nice system :)

Top Bottom