• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

maty

Major Contributor
Registered just to say that Presonus R65 is horrible in terms of hissing noise. If I listened something at low volume, then sometimes I could not tell if audio I'm playing back uses white noise or if it is the speaker self noise. Hihats can get drown in the noise. Horrible.

Two cheap? class D amps by loudspeaker.

usern

Presonus R65 use class D amps and they are one of the first mass market studio monitors to incorporate DSP filters to split signal to woofer and tweeter. It adds A/D conversion step which could contribute to the noise.

D888

I have a pair of Event 20/20 BAS v3 monitors hooked up to a TC Electronic BMC-2 via xlrs. Zero hiss. Thinking about upgrading to some Focal twins. Anyone have them? W

dasdoing

Major Contributor
it seams that class d monitors hiss. Even the KRK Rokit line had near zero hiss (only with ear next to tweeter) before they switched to class d

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
it seams that class d monitors hiss. Even the KRK Rokit line had near zero hiss (only with ear next to tweeter) before they switched to class d
That would be the same KRK Rokit that was used in EEVBlog #1118 - Why Are Studio Monitors Noisy? where the noise is tracked to the Class AB TDA2052 amp? Meanwhile the KH80DSP manages not to hiss while using a Class D amp. Cheap (and not so cheap) monitors have been hissing since before Class D amps entered the market segment. It's about the engineering, not the amp class.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
That would be the same KRK Rokit that was used in EEVBlog #1118 - Why Are Studio Monitors Noisy? where the noise is tracked to the Class AB TDA2052 amp? Meanwhile the KH80DSP manages not to hiss while using a Class D amp. Cheap (and not so cheap) monitors have been hissing since before Class D amps entered the market segment. It's about the engineering, not the amp class.

you sure this was not a defective monitor?
I only know the first rokit version and it makes no noise at all. why would you make a product worse? then I heard about rokit hiss when d class line came out. so i deduced that the class d is the culprit

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I only know the first rokit version and it makes no noise at all. why would you make a product worse? then I heard about rokit hiss when d class line came out. so i deduced that the class d is the culprit
It's hard to be certain it wasn't faulty - see #1072 and #1073 for more on why - but it's consistent with the datasheet amp performance. They aren't the worst offenders by any means, but it was a memorable example given you'd mentioned them. I've seen other similar tracing for hissing monitors, some AB and some D, coming back to the choice of a cheap, noisy amp chip. Less noisy ones are available in both classes, but tend to cost a bit more for the same power output. As to why make a noiser model, who knows? It could be a calculated decision (we did the research - customers buy based on watts not noise level, so use that one) or a stupid mistake (what do you mean nobody put noise level on the design brief?! Too late now - we'll have to go with it and fix it in the next model) or who knows what else. Given that it's a widespread issue in the market segment my guess is it's a conscious design trade off not a mistake. What it certainly isn't down to is class D being inherently noisy, as comparing a range of amp datasheets of both types will show.

relmu

I have 2 krk rp5 g2 and with the volume at maximum it is totally silent. It should be noted that this model has A / B amplifiers (tda2052 tweeter and tda7294 woofer

q3cpma

Major Contributor
As said, Genelec and Neumann make for good counter-examples. Genelec's documented noise actually went from 10 to 5 dB(A) at 1m when going from the class AB LM3886 to their own class D design.

olymind1

RCF Ayra PROs barely have any hiss, they have but it's very gentle and barely hearable and only from a few cm in a quiet room. The JBL 305p MKIIs have a much noticeable hiss, compared to them the Ayra PROs are dead silent from a 1m listening position.

Last edited:

RCF Ayra PROs barely have any hiss, they have but it's very gentle and barely hearable and only from a few cm in a quiet room. The JBL 305p MKIIs have a much noticeable hiss, compared to them the Ayra PROs are dead silent from a 1m listening position.

I saw these speakers listed on BHphotovideo a while ago and while nobody talks about them, or even knows they exist, I think they look like already a good competitor to the JBL's. They are front ported! Horn design! Proprietary 0 degrees of phase distortion technology? I look at these first unless you really want that fancy Tweeter from JBL.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I saw these speakers listed on BHphotovideo a while ago and while nobody talks about them, or even knows they exist, I think they look like already a good competitor to the JBL's. They are front ported! Horn design! Proprietary 0 degrees of phase distortion technology? I look at these first unless you really want that fancy Tweeter from JBL.

wow, a huge waveeguide that actualy looks good (JBLs are ugly af imo).
0 degrees phase tech is a linear phase (FiR) step response correction filter https://www.rcf.it/read-more/firphase

Reactions: trl

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pity that RCF does not publish proper specs. In this respect they have a long way to go to reach the level of the masters.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm a RCF Ayra Pro 6 is €177 here in Holland. Care to buy one and test one? :) It has some interesting features, as you can read here (link to manufacturer):
  • 5Hz – 20kHz Frequency Response
  • 0° Phase Response
  • 80W + 40W Class-D Amplifiers
  • 6.5” Composite Fiberglass Woofer
  • 1” ferrofluid cooled Soft Dome tweeter
  • RCF Precision Waveguide
  • DSP Processing with FiRPHASE
  • Low distortion frontal Vented Port

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pity that RCF does not publish proper specs. In this respect they have a long way to go to reach the level of the masters.

I've seen those. These are not proper specs:
  • frequency range without limits (e.g +/- 3 dB) means nothing; no on axis or off axis frequency response
  • max SPL without THD means nothing, and we know that it depends on frequency; no max SPL at given THD vs. frequency
  • max amp power withoud THD means nothing.
  • no spinorama or dispersion vs. frequency

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
wow, a huge waveeguide that actualy looks good (JBLs are ugly af imo).
0 degrees phase tech is a linear phase (FiR) step response correction filter https://www.rcf.it/read-more/firphase
Now this is something that I would really want to see it for myself:

RCF_FiR_square-wave.png

Perhaps with 1KHz it might look pretty similar, but going down to 100 Hz the woofer will be unable to produce the square-wave this way. However, RCF guys seem to look for sound accuracy, so maybe we'll see this year an RCF speaker tested here as well.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
??? Couldn't find any graphs, using PDF reader on my smartphone.:(
Frequency response on axis, horizontal and vertical beamwidth vs. frequency, normalised horizontal and vertical off axis response at a range of angles, dirctivity index vs. frequency, horizontal and vertical polar plots for a load of frequencies.

Top Bottom