• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To smsl and others that use the same remote

ehabheikal

I do not know if this will be seen by anyone at these companies, but here goes. SMSL and other Chinese dacs that use the same remote are being used by some or many as preamps. The remote has one problem when used as preamp, it has no input buttons. Yes it has a change input button but that is severely limiting, not only is changing sources hard, you can not use automation and universal remotes that assume you can change to a particular input. This should be very easy to do even if they do not change the remote, they can just put in the firmware remote codes and publish them especially to harmony. That way all our usual tools to control preamps can be used.

blodsbror

1000% this. I will almost not buy a product, if this method of input selection exists on the remote. To all manufacturers, please put dedicated input buttons on your remotes. Hegel/SMSL I’m looking at you for starters

OP
E

ehabheikal

Another thing that would make them amazing is a 12v trigger!

NgtFlyer

I have an SA-300. It has three inputs. Given that the icon display takes up so much of the display, I can easily tell which one is selected from a distance. I consider this a non-issue.

OP
E

ehabheikal

I have an SA-300. It has three inputs. Given that the icon display takes up so much of the display, I can easily tell which one is selected from a distance. I consider this a non-issue.
My eyesight is not what it was, still i want this to be able to use remote controls like harmony which can do scenes like open your tv and then change dac to tv, you can not do this if you just cycle through rather than pick inputs.

blodsbror

Technically it is possible to have a harmony remotes cycle through inputs. But it’s very open to getting out of sync.

OP
E

ehabheikal

The only dac that has it that i know of ( from here lol ) is the soncoz sgd1 it is a an amazing dac, but i wanted something cheaper to do DIY streamer where Rasp pi 4 controls through ir control board if the dac is connected to it or to my other sources connected to the DAC automatically or remotely.
Jriver and maybe others have plugins that allow you to run scripts on playback etc so you can automatically switch to usb from pi when you play in jriver for example etc. could be a basis of a nice opensource system for DIY. Add zwave and you can do lighting with your music, turn on power amps subs etc can be kick ass if proper scripts can be done to tie things together smoothly.

NgtFlyer

Fortunately my experience with SMSL is they are very sensitive to the remote - so signals shouldn't be missed and have it get out of sync if you have setup a Harmony. I have an SA300 that I use in the bedroom.

blodsbror

The Matrix Audio Sabre MQA remote has dedicated input buttons actually. I'm assuming the Element range also uses the same remote.

OP
E

ehabheikal

The Matrix Audio Sabre MQA remote has dedicated input buttons actually. I'm assuming the Element range also uses the same remote.
The entire product range is a bit out of my budgeted spend.

I do not know if this will be seen by anyone at these companies, but here goes. SMSL and other Chinese dacs that use the same remote are being used by some or many as preamps. The remote has one problem when used as preamp, it has no input buttons. Yes it has a change input button but that is severely limiting, not only is changing sources hard, you can not use automation and universal remotes that assume you can change to a particular input. This should be very easy to do even if they do not change the remote, they can just put in the firmware remote codes and publish them especially to harmony. That way all our usual tools to control preamps can be used.
3.5 years later and no improvement in the remote. I was all remotes were like the Apple TV remote! It’s super reliable and you don’t even have to point it!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
they dont see a problem... esp. in the simpler systems theyre used to

the also have factories that crank out rc8a rc8c units for probably a buck each

Top Bottom