• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Lab Erish coming soon

FirstLegion

I was more wondering about specific SKU's. Are there any devices that clear THD+N metrics of 115dB+ for example?
No chance of finding that info in the pro industry. I bet amirm has posted some on the headphone amp comparison chart, but I haven't checked. That thing is hard for me to see! :facepalm:... UPDATE: I found the Little Labs amp on the Best Case SINAD chart - 109 THD+N. Not even close to the Geshelli (121 THD+N), but not bad either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really do need new closed cans so I can stop annoying the wife. I use her pair of B&O cans which sound, well, like B&O products, but are comfortable, but I can barely stand them if I have placed my hd600s over my ears recently. If the 1990s have very little sound leakage, might be worth a look.

Sorry - confusing things . 1990s open and leak like any open, believe same driver if not voicing as 1770 closed, so shouldnt be too different.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alas the DT1770 (and DT1990) have a 3-pin mini XLR so need to be modified before they can be used balanced.

The Drop version of the 1770s come unbalanced but can take a 4 pin, but they dropped the impedance to I think 32 O- so its not really a 1770 at all (think they may have used drivers from the Amiron Wireless). Why make the low impedance version balanced, not the high one? Madness!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT177X GO is made acc. to Drop specifications and has 4-pin mini XLR.
The DT1770 and DT1990 have 3-pin connectors.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a suspicion this amp will be the go to for my lower impedance planars. Maybe my even my HD800s.

Got a Schiit Mjolnir I love but its too much of a beast for the 20 and 50 ohm balanced cans. This has ooomph but maybe that bit less.

Pr3ssAltF4

Anyways, just received the unit today. Liking it a lot so far. After a long listen I tried a bit of A/B with my Archel and Elegias. Initial thoughts are more analytical / sharp / clean, better separation / imaging, and more emphasized bass (with maybe a little bit of extra extension?). I'm liking it much more than the Archel I currently have. I thought it was just going to be a fully balanced Archel, and that is decidedly not the case. Similar, but I would say definitively better so far. Will get to my Eikons tomorrow, and hopefully give full impressions in a week or so :)

A big thanks to Geshelli for letting me get in on the pre-order!

IMG_20200528_1659158.jpg

IMG_20200528_1711550.jpg

Fucked up original thread and put it in Archel one lol. My bad.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why balanced only? Not very practical IMHO, I like to have balanced out, but I am not going to buy balanced cable for every set of headphones. It's not like speaker, you only expect to use the amp for one pair at a time(and usually for a long time). It's easy to change headphones.

If this thing cost $50 more and add a 6.3, I would love to buy it. But as is, simply won't work for me.

Pr3ssAltF4

Why balanced only? Not very practical IMHO, I like to have balanced out, but I am not going to buy balanced cable for every set of headphones. It's not like speaker, you only expect to use the amp for one pair at a time(and usually for a long time). It's easy to change headphones.

If this thing cost $50 more and add a 6.3, I would love to buy it. But as is, simply won't work for me.
Fair enough. I run all my shit balanced. I have cables for it and I have the mats to make my own if needed. I believe balanced is very much so worth it. Not practical for you, exceedingly practical for me.

ReaderZ

Fair enough. I run all my shit balanced. I have cables for it and I have the mats to make my own if needed. I believe balanced is very much so worth it. Not practical for you, exceedingly practical for me.

That's just the headphones you are using now, see above post, if you get a DT1990 pro, you will need to modify the headphone itself to run balanced, some headphones don't even have removable cable, I would not call that practical for anyone.

Pr3ssAltF4

Dude, not all of us have 1990s though. Some of us have headphones that will run balanced. I run Elegias, Eikons, and PM-50s. Some of us buy balanced equipment because that's what we like to use or feel a need to use.

If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, but not everyone's in your situation either. Keep that in mind. Blanket statements and assumptions that everyone is in the same boat as you help absolutely no one. Practical for some people and not practical for others. I don't see a need to get butthurt and rag on a product cause it doesn't cater specifically to your use case (especially if you haven't tried it). Go buy an Archel if you just want single ended?

If I ever do get a 1990 I'll run it via the Archel, or I'll modify the thing. I plan to take apart my 770 pretty soon anyways and do some experiments.

Reactions: Tks

ReaderZ

Dude, not all of us have 1990s though. Some of us have headphones that will run balanced. I run Elegias, Eikons, and PM-50s. Some of us buy balanced equipment because that's what we like to use or feel a need to use.

If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, but not everyone's in your situation either. Keep that in mind. Blanket statements and assumptions that everyone is in the same boat as you help absolutely no one. Practical for some people and not practical for others. I don't see a need to get butthurt and rag on a product cause it doesn't cater specifically to your use case (especially if you haven't tried it).

If I ever do get a 1990 I'll run it via the Archel, or I'll modify the thing. I plan to take apart my 770 pretty soon anyways and do some experiments.

So my general statement about practicality of this product stands.

ReaderZ

Practicality for you, sure. Practicality in general, I don't think so. The 1990 isn't the only headphone that exists lol.

There are many more that doesn't even have detachable cables. Also not everyone buys balanced cable for every headphone.

Pr3ssAltF4

There are many more that doesn't even have detachable cables. Also not everyone buys balanced cable for every headphone.
And there are just as many with detachable cables lol. I'm absolutely certain that for every headset with non-detachable cables I can name at least one with detachable cables. Also more than a few headphones have the option to get balanced cables with the headphone. A good number of people do buy balanced cables. I don't get why you're trying to make blanket statements about what everyone does that are pretty evidently false? Practical for some, not for others.

Sorry to burst your bubble bud. Some people do things differently than you 0_0.

Done derailing the thread with a pretty inane argument. Very much so enjoying my Erish which is very practical for me (and anyone who runs balanced headphones).

Last edited:

ReaderZ

And there are just as many with detachable cables lol. I'm absolutely certain that for every headset with non-detachable cables I can name at least one with detachable cables. Also more than a few headphones have the option to get balanced cables with the headphone. A good number of people do buy balanced cables. I don't get why you're trying to make blanket statements about what everyone does that are pretty evidently false? Practical for some, not for others.

Sorry to burst your bubble bud. Some people do things differently than you 0_0.

Done derailing the thread with a pretty inane argument. Very much so enjoying my Erish which is very practical for me (and anyone who runs balanced headphones).

As long as it's not practical for a large number of people then my statement is true, I never said it's true for everyone. But I can and have made a general statement with reasonable conclusion.

SpeleoFool

Also not everyone buys balanced cable for every headphone.

I do. Then I use adapters to go back to SE. That allows me to use my headphones with the widest possible array of equipment. If you don't like balanced only, don't buy this.

I can and have made a general statement with reasonable conclusion.

You can certainly voice your opinion, but you're projecting your own priorities and making a general statement about what (you perceive that) other people want, which isn't particularly helpful. I don't have any issue with balanced only; in fact, that's more appealing to me than the Archel 2.5's SE-out only. Personally, I found that to be an odd design decision given balanced ins.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Consider that there are far more headphones around with TRS than balanced connections.
Also in studios and more and more home audio balanced line-level is becoming quite common.
It makes sense to build a TRS out with RCA and XLR in.
Since Geshelli also makes a balanced in and out (I assume on request by customers) it isn't a weird decision IMO.

Pr3ssAltF4

Consider that there are far more headphones around with TRS than balanced connections.
Also in studios and more and more home audio balanced line-level is becoming quite common.
It makes sense to build a TRS out with RCA and XLR in.
Since Geshelli also makes a balanced in and out (I assume on request by customers) it isn't a weird decision IMO.
Exactly.

They already covered single-ended w/ XLR/RCA in. Having the fully balanced option doesn't hurt anyone.

Long story short, there's good reason for the amp to exist, it sounds good, and if you want single-ended buy an Archel and don't complain here about a purpose built balanced amp cause it doesn't have TRS as that's just silly.

SpeleoFool

"Odd" was probably an overstatement. The 2 was RCA -> SE, then 2.5 added XLR in but still only SE out. I would have thought balanced out would have made sense with XLR in, but it really doesn't matter. All bases are covered now, and Geshelli puts out well-engineered stuff, so they've got something good for everyone as far as I can see.

Top Bottom