• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EarMen Donald DAC Review

Juhazi

Major Contributor
https://aurisaudio.rs/en/products/earmen/donald-dac

Description doesn't sound too scientific... but who cares when it measures and works so well and 2nd power supply will give lower noise

Dual Power Supply option
By combining with external power supply, high-resolution records, the sound will get even better definition, but also more vivid, sparkling tones throughout the range. The color and discreet overlays between the tones will become more pronounced and the sound will get one temperamental and energetic line.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So what you have proven is that dedicated power supplies have measurable differences in noise, despite what might be expected to be a highly regulated power supply!

What happens if you plug your monitor or the Samsung charger into a Line Conditioner? @amirm (hint/nudge)

I don't think the crap you see comes from poor powersupply regulation.
I would suspect that what has been proven is that some common mode power supply crap makes it into the audio path.
Chances are this DAC is more prone to have groundloop issues than some other DACs. Ofcourse I could be wrong about this. We can only know by testing for it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would suspect that what has been proven is that some common mode power supply crap makes it into the audio path.
Chances are this DAC is more prone to have groundloop issues than some other DACs. Ofcourse I could be wrong about this. We can only know by testing for it.
Was thinking the same.

This should also be DSD capable according to the Cirrus Logic datasheet:
https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43198/
Not necessarily: the DAC might support DSD, but the USB receiver chip also needs to support & as well as be configured for it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
On the website it says it supports PCM 384kHz/32bit, MQA, DSD256 and DXD.
It has an XMos 2XX receiver.

Not bad for the pricepoint.

The salespitch nonsense they write could have been left out but it is what some potential customers will find compelling. It puts me off though. I'd rather see none of the written nonsense.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Same chip as this unit.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/amari/

1590652206051.png

urfaust

the shape of the dashboard looks very smiliar to the Hidizs/Sonata, once cleaned up, which should make sense. I think in dac mode the sonata is still unbeatable for the price and size but very nice if you need MQA and wants something that looks a bit more desktop.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ou they (CS) claim great rejection rate to power source of 100 dB @ 20 KHz but every so far measured design hire (CS43198 or cs43131 [which is the same with integrated Amp]) shows it's very itchy to it.

3125b

Major Contributor
Regarding the power supply vs. PC USB power I yesterday plugged my E30 into my iPad charger instead of the PC USB where I powered it from before - and unsurprisingly it made no audible difference, though it might make a small measurable one, as shown in some thread.
Fairly similar to this DAC with one vs. two USB connectors plugged in, maybe even less so.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Ou they (CS) claim great rejection rate to power source of 100 dB @ 20 KHz but every so far measured design hire (CS43198 or cs43131 [which is the same with integrated Amp]) shows it's very itchy to it.

Amir's measuremet shows garbage level -120dB. Can one really call it bad behaviour?

index.php

F1308

Major Contributor
Industrial development and their achievements are truly outstanding.
99$ will get you into the very top quarter zone in the scale.
699$ needed to be third...
How nice...

Attachments

• best usb dac review 2020.png
    best usb dac review 2020.png
    54 KB · Views: 243

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks at Cirrus Logic still kickin' it behind the scenes, just fantastic. It's a shame that CR doesn't market their chips as well as AKM and ESS. At least Earmen are sexin' it up for them. Great stuff, I plan to eyeball the rest of their line now.

Thanks Amir!

dorirod

Industrial development and their achievements are truly outstanding.
99$ will get you into the very top quarter zone in the scale.
699$ needed to be third...
How nice...

It's even better as Soncoz SGD1 at $470 will get you 3rd place too, but I agree with the sentiment. I'd probably still pay the extra $30 over this DAC and go for the Topping E30 due to optical input (and gets you in top tier). Very good to see excellent performance at lower and lower prices.

Thank you Amir for the review!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Amir's measuremet shows garbage level -120dB. Can one really call it bad behaviour?

index.php
Now take a look to the Meizu's or the Creative SBX G6 all with CS43131. Don't even think how Samsung phone charger is a very clean power source. I believe battery would future improve things.

F1308

Major Contributor
Donald Dac? ... that humor is so bad it made my uncle cringe.
I think the name given is indeed very funny...even when English turns out not to be your mother tongue.
Could you please tell your uncle I am so bad at cooking that I use a can opener to open the eggs?

Top Bottom