• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Impressions

Mesk

The dip around 4kHz could lead to harsh sounding recordings. The reason is that in order to let an instrument sound realistic you use your ears and knowledge of how that instrument should sound. A possible way to use it is to either EQ it in (filling in a dip is generally not a good idea) or to realize that when you are EQ'ing in something to give it more 'bite' that you really shouldn't when it is in the targetted frequency range.

When you want cheap and 'neutral' and closed the K371 or K361 may be a logical choice.
In open headphones there are some other options but most of them have roll-off in the lows. This isn't problematic when mixing because you end up with a meatier/bassier end product.

Tonally the K371 is hard to beat at that price point. The fact that some people prefer a different tonality and consider that more tonally correct is more of a personal preference or listening level thing than anything else.

The K371 and K361 may well not be the best choice for listening enjoyment (the microphony completely destroyed it for me).
So while very good in certain things, not so good in others.
It's a trade-off.

I see, that makes sense. I'm not against open back, closed would just be more versatile. What open back options would you recommend?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had bad luck with that coating getting sticky/tacky over time.
Me too, I have an old sportscar where every surface has gone tacky, yuck, I got the door handles stripped and re-painted but it would be horribly expensive to do the rest, it is very difficult to remove without damage.
I have other electronic items which have gone this way too, all one can do is chuck them away IMO.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see, that makes sense. I'm not against open back, closed would just be more versatile. What open back options would you recommend?

What pricepoint ? ... and are you willing to use EQ or passive filtering to ensure tonally correct output ?

Mesk

At around 100€, 130€ stretching it. I would rather not unless it was really necessary.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lovely pair of closed back. highly recommended :) Enjoying the faster driver response over the "old guards" ATH M50X and DT770pro.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
At around 100€, 130€ stretching it. I would rather not unless it was really necessary.

You would need to stretch it to get something you could master with. Quality comes at a price.
I would say a secondhand HD600 when you stretch a little more.

Perhaps the K361 would be your best bet.

Mesk

Oof that's quite expensive for a broke college student. And would the k361/k371 or something like the dt770 80ohm (I've read something about the hair rattle that concerned me a bit) be usable or should I just not buy anything? I've also seen the shp9500 but they seem to be impossible to find.

Hemicrusher

Me too, I have an old sportscar where every surface has gone tacky, yuck, I got the door handles stripped and re-painted but it would be horribly expensive to do the rest, it is very difficult to remove without damage.
I have other electronic items which have gone this way too, all one can do is chuck them away IMO.

I can save the rubber coating they used on old Nikon like the N90's film door with talcum powder. It will last awhile, maybe a couple years....but it sucks to have to do it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oof that's quite expensive for a broke college student. And would the k361/k371 or something like the dt770 80ohm (I've read something about the hair rattle that concerned me a bit) be usable or should I just not buy anything? I've also seen the shp9500 but they seem to be impossible to find.

The DT770 is fine for monitoring. I would not call it a hifi headphone. It is a fun headphone with elevated bass and treble.
Downside is one note bass. Took me a while to detect it when I owned one, once I did it was quickly sold again.
NOT suited for mixing. It will give you bass shy and dull sounding recordings.

The SHP9500 is no longer produced. The X2HR is much better IMO. 9500 has good mids and lows but less good in the treble department.

For mixing get the K361, just take into account it has a dip. It is sharp so less audible but compared to a better headphone and knowing what to listen for it is audible.

Mesk

The DT770 is fine for monitoring. I would not call it a hifi headphone. It is a fun headphone with elevated bass and treble.
Downside is one note bass. Took me a while to detect it when I owned one, once I did it was quickly sold again.
NOT suited for mixing. It will give you bass shy and dull sounding recordings.

The SHP9500 is no longer produced. The X2HR is much better IMO. 9500 has good mids and lows but less good in the treble department.

For mixing get the K361, just take into account it has a dip. It is sharp so less audible but compared to a better headphone and knowing what to listen for it is audible.
So, the k361 over the k371 for mixing? Not trying to be annoying just want to be sure.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, K361 over K371 for mixing.
K371 is better for monitoring and musical enjoyment.

The K371 has a bit more subbass boost. You need more 'neutral' for mixing
Treble on the K361 is slightly lower which means you will get the right amount of treble in recordings.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
decided to buy iK371 since it's currently on sale on Amazon.
For ppl looking for microphone/remote cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXY5H9L/
NewFantasia Cable Compatible with AKG K240, K240S, K240MK II, Q701, K702, K171, K271s, K271 MKII, M220, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Headphone, Remote Volume Mic Compatible with iPhone iPod ipad Apple Devices

nate

Guys I'm getting pre owned k371 (3 months old) for 52 USD. What do you think? My only other ears are blon 03 and faaeal snow lotus buds. I was also thinking of takstar pro 82. Will it be a noticeable sound quality upgrade?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will it be a noticeable sound quality upgrade?

It will be noticeable different sounding. Whether or not you will see it as an upgrade is hard to say. To ME this headphone is 'better sounding' than the Pro 82 but if you like elevated bass the Pro 82 may be more up your alley perhaps.

nate

It will be noticeable different sounding. Whether or not you will see it as an upgrade is hard to say. To ME this headphone is 'better sounding' than the Pro 82 but if you like elevated bass the Pro 82 may be more up your alley perhaps.
I'm more into clarity and imaging. How do they compare to ath m40x? I was gunning for the audiotechnicas but due to unavailability i chose akgs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In my opinion the K371 is much better than the M40X.
I am sure you can find others with a preference for the M40X though..

Top Bottom