• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A RedZone DAC that's much better subjectively sounding than a BlueZone DAC?!

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That got me curious.

Since some here can't differentiate the sound quality between DAC SINAD numbers or claim these are irrelevant and inaudible, I'd like to be openminded to the idea that a RedZone DAC could beat a BlueZone DAC as a proof that bad implementation could be intentional in the pursuit of sound quality.

Has any of you heard a RedZone DAC with green and blue zone killing potential?

Update: So far there were claims of Schiit Modi Multibit and Schitt Yggdrasil sounding better than blue zone DACs.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What "sound quality" could be enhanced by a bad implementation, and technically speaking, how would that bad implementation (presumably objectively measurable as "bad") improve subjective sound quality?

That's sort of a contradiction in terms, isn't it?

I could imagine a DAC that was improperly designed to boost sub-100 Hz frequencies might sound better to a basshead who thinks "wow, this thing is great because now I don't have to EQ my IEM's so much!" but then that would be evident from the frequency response.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nelson Pass might know how to enhance SQ

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to be openminded to the idea that a RedZone DAC could beat a BlueZone DAC as a proof that bad implementation could be intentional in the pursuit of sound quality.
I guess this is'nt gonna end well.;)

This is not about being open-minded whatsoever: Bad implementation, whatever intentional or not, ruins transparency (meaning : this isn't high fidelity anymore). Then comes personal preference.

If it is distinguishable or not is another topic.
Since some here can't differentiate the sound quality between DAC SINAD numbers or claim these are irrelevant and inaudible
No. For the last time: that's not what people are saying here.

@solderdude had yo repeat it again (and again) few days ago...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...as-a-sound-signature.9245/page-51#post-407437

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Red Zone = Texas; Blue Zone = California

Next we will be talking about red and blue pills.
And DAC assassins. I suspect some genius has already marketed an all black Ninja DAC. Probably with rgb lights

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Red Zone = Texas; Blue Zone = California

Next we will be talking about red and blue pills.

Not much need for many of the blue pills lately...
Oh...wait...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much need for many of the blue pills lately...
Oh...wait...

@SIY likes to get looks and good comments from attractive ladies when he drops his trousers. I think there is definitely still a demand for blue pills.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That got me curious.

Since some here can't differentiate the sound quality between DAC SINAD numbers or claim these are irrelevant and inaudible, I'd like to be openminded to the idea that a RedZone DAC could beat a BlueZone DAC as a proof that bad implementation could be intentional in the pursuit of sound quality.

Has any of you heard a RedZone DAC with green and blue zone killing potential?

Philosophically, I don't want my solid state electronics* to act like effect boxes.

I reserve that role for EQ.

At the other ends of the chain, speakers and cartridges are transducers and are already unavoidably imperfect and colored.

If I want to buy to taste, I can do it with my speakers and carts.

(*what about tubes, you might ask?)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR Death Match.....

In the Blue Zone, the plucky newcomer, this guy really needs to munch on some quality components, the Khadas Tone Boooooaaaaaaaaaaaaard! *Polite claps*

Annnnnd , In the Red Zone, the Beast from the East, THEEE AUDIO GODDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! *Crowd goes wild*

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess this is'nt gonna end well.;)

This is not about being open-minded whatsoever: Bad implementation, whatever intentional or not, ruins transparency (meaning : this isn't high fidelity anymore). Then come personal preference.

If it is distinguishable or not is another topic.

No. For the last time: that's not what people are saying here.

@solderdude had yo repeat it again (and again) few days ago...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...as-a-sound-signature.9245/page-51#post-407437

giphy.gif

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Welcome to ASR Death Match.....

In the Blue Zone, the plucky newcomer, this guy really needs to munch on some quality components, the Khadas Tone Boooooaaaaaaaaaaaaard! *Polite claps*

Annnnnd , In the Red Zone, the Beast from the East, THEEE AUDIO GODDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! *Crowd goes wild*

wwenze

Major Contributor
What's redzone? Anything below 90dB?

I don't even play my speakers to 80dB, hence such levels of distortions are not even physic-ally audible.

I have a DAC at 0.1% and I felt weird listening to that. With fixes to improve it to 0.03%, the weirdness is gone.

So even among the red zone only a couple of these would have an audible sound character:

SitG4aP.png

Top Bottom