• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First impressions of Meizu Hifi dongle

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

duo8

Certainly not about the same, the pro is clearly better when loaded 80ohm 32ohm. Not huge difference but exactly what one would expect. And the measurements are done at the level that they can both compare to each other. Pro has have much higher output power with low impedance load which is not shown here.
A 4db difference in THD+N when both are already under -100.
And what "low impedance load" exactly? 8Ohm IEMs with 90db/mW sensitivity?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
A 4db difference in THD+N when both are already under -100.
And what "low impedance load" exactly? 8Ohm IEMs with 90db/mW sensitivity?
80 and 32ohm can be seen as low impedance loads. The key is the maximum power output. And 4db in ppm range is pretty significant, also considering the form factor.

Earfonia

Just got this Meizu Type-C USB DAC. So far only tested in Windows 10. Yes it doesn't shown up in audio playback device until I plugged in an earphone.
What I like so far:
The fact that it is only 30mW dual channel @32Ω it makes it more IEM friendly and give more usable volume range for IEMs. With Tempotec Sonata HD I stuck at volume around 15 on Windows. But with Meizu I set volume around 40 to 60 depending on recording and IEM.

Sound wise, I haven't really compared with other Type-C dongle DAC, but so far it sounds pretty good with good power on my Creative Aurvana Trio.

DSD works fine using Foobar DSD WASAPI Push. Tested up to DSD 128.

binki

I recently bought the dongle from Meizu for about USD25. I compared it to MU2 plus and Apple dongle so I'm not sure how is it compared to MU2S.
I found that it's quite competitive for its price.

Good:
  • Supports microphone input
Any questions are welcomed.

Does the mic input work for you? I have a headset adapter which works fine with my HIDIZS Sonata HD DAC, but the Meizu HiFi Pro (Model: CP19P) never shows up as a mic input in Windows or Android when I plug the headset adapter into it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does the mic input work for you? I have a headset adapter which works fine with my HIDIZS Sonata HD DAC, but the Meizu HiFi Pro (Model: CP19P) never shows up as a mic input in Windows or Android when I plug the headset adapter into it.
It works great for me. The Meizu Pro supplies 2.73V of phantom power btw.
Annotation 2020-05-20 215226.png

Annotation 2020-05-20 215242.png

binki

It works great for me. The Meizu HD Pro supplies 2.73V of phantom power btw.
Thanks for the report. That has helped me in my attempts to mess around, though I still don’t have things working.

After fiddling around and plugging a likely broken extension cable into my TRRS <--> mic+headphone joiner’s mic cable (I’m using a Sennheiser PCV 05 and also tried a startech MUYHSMFF), I was able to trigger the Meizu HD Pro showing up as a mic to my computer. However, stuff was stuck weirdly. Also, when it did this, it showed up in Windows as a completely different/new USB audio device. It seems this is consistent with Meizu HD Pro not showing up as a USB audio device until a headset is plugged into it. So, to get an actual mic working, I just need to figure out how to trick the Meizu HD Pro into realizing a mic is attached when an actual mic is attached x.x.

Top Bottom