• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I really think chasing the deep bass response like this is a waste of time. Wavelengths are huge. 30Hz is about 10 metres. It is impossible to remove the effect of the room. The room becomes part of the speaker at these wavelengths.

The different measured shapes of the response make this somewhat clear. A ported speaker is a 4th order system. No ifs, no buts, it is 4th order. There is some wiggle room with the parameters of the system, and the QB3 (quasi-butterworth 3rd order) looks a lot like a 3rd, and has been a popular alignment. But no matter what, the bass response curve will always eventually show a 4th order rolloff. If it doesn't in measurement, it isn't the speaker that is the problem. Designers can choose the Q of the system, usually from a limited set. Many will go for maximally flat, Butterworth aka Q = 0.7, lots go for something with a bit of dialled in extension, so Chebychev, Q = 0.8, or even more, with Q's up to say 1.2 with a clear artificially accentuated bass hump. A few will go for low Q's with a lean bass buy chasing some ideals about improved group delay, say Q down to 0.5. All of this stuff has been known for many decades, and not much has changed.

Designers don't have a lot of room to play. Physics is a harsh mistress. Unless the designer messes up (and some do) the bass response really is predictable from basic physics. Given the box and port dimensions, and the speaker's mechanical and electrical parameters (collectively usually terms the TS orTheile-Small parameters) you can predict from first principles the free field bass response. Designers can mess up in only a few ways. (And these can be predicted from the basic physics as well, just with a bit more effort than just the simple 4th order equations.) But any competently designed speaker will have an iron clad deep bass response that varies very little from the very simple 4th order response.

The F208 and 228Be use almost the same bass driver. The SB 23NBAC45 in the 208 and the SB23CACS45 in the 228Be. (Harmon could commission custom parameters, SB are more than happy to oblige, but I somewhat doubt there would be much point here.)

These are the parameters for both drivers. Differences highlighted. Where different, the 228Be driver is first.
  • Nominal Impedance 4 Ω
  • DC resistance, Re 3.3 Ω
  • Voice coil inductance, Le 0.27 mH
  • Effective piston area, Sd 216 cm2
  • Voice coil diameter 45.5 mm
  • Voice coil height 19 mm
  • Air gap height 6 mm
  • Linear coil travel (p-p) 13 mm
  • Magnetic flux density 0.86 T
  • Magnet weight 0.8 kg
  • Net weight 2.7 kg
  • Free air resonance, Fs 23 Hz
  • Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90 dB
  • Mechanical Q-factor, Qms 6.0 vs 5.4
  • Electrical Q-factor, Qes 0.35
  • Total Q-factor, Qts 0.33 vs 0.35
  • Moving mass incl. air, Mms 33 g vs 32 g
  • Force factor, Bl 6.7 Tm
  • Equivalent volume, Vas 95 liters
  • Compliance, Cms 1.43 mm/N
  • Mechanical loss, Rms 0.8 kg/s vs 0.9kg/s
  • Rated power handling* 60 W
Basically the very slight difference is down to the slight difference in effective cone mass - 32 vs 33grams. The other differences are a direct consequence as they include effective mass in their definition. (The surround termination is likey a different design to account for the different cone properties, this may be reflected in the mechanical loss.) The final result that matters is a tiny change in Qts. Critically, Vas and Fs are unchanged. Note that things such as linear coil travel and the like are identical. The speakers use essentially the same motor and have identical power handling and ability to move air.

Where one might expect a difference is in a barely measurable difference in bass alignment due to the different Qts. This can be trivially tuned out with either changes to the crossover resistance and maybe be a small change to the port length.

Differences between the speaker's bass response will be extraordinarily difficult to find. Any difference in measured results is almost certainly an artefact of the way the measurements were done. And these measurements are hard, simply because, as above, the room couples to the speaker at large wavelengths. Even jamming the microphone against the cone and sticking it in the port can't fully avoid these issues. If a room mode coincides with the location of the driver, it can affect the measurements.

This is especially important when looking for such defining parameters as the 3dB point of the speaker. There is little chance it can be reliably identified from an in-room measurement. Indeed the entire shape of the roll off is difficult to reliably estimate.

Overall, the true deep bass character of any speaker is governed by a few simple iron clad parameters. Choosing a higher Q than 0.7 can lead to a more emphasised bass, and there is little doubt that many bookshelf speakers do this (all the way up the the infamous LS3/5a). Some of this is taste. A zillion years ago it was noted that there was a bit of a cultural divide, with American speakers (and we assume consumer taste) going for higher Q values, and British speakers going (for the most part) for the more accurate but leaner Q values.
What one also notices is that many people ascribe qualities to the bass that are not part of the true deep bass response. Bass slam and impact come from much higher frequencies. A goodly dose of harmonic distortion in the bass might be part of this, and lead to perceptions of better bass. That might be more measurable.

ETA.
Eventually bass comes from moving air. And for deep bass, lots of air. No amount of messing about can change this simple rule. You can make any speaker go as deep as you like. But at the cost of maximum output. In the limit, in-ear monitor earphones have fabulous bass. Deep loud bass means you must shift lots of air. Even a small extension in bass roll-off frequency can mean a quite noticeable drop in maximum output.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The F208 and 228Be use almost the same bass driver. The SB 23NBAC45 in the 208 and the SB23CACS45 in the 228Be. (Harmon could commission custom parameters, SB are more than happy to oblige, but I somewhat doubt there would be much point here.)

Aren't the PerformaBe drivers from a Chinese OEM? I thought only the original series used SBA drivers.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Aren't the PerformaBe drivers from a Chinese OEM? I thought only the original series used SBA drivers.
I guess it is possible. But I do rather doubt it. Maybe someone who owns a 228Be could pull a driver and take a picture. The tweeter is of course what provides the Be part of the name. Everyone is making beryllium tweeters now, so they could be sourced elsewhere. But ceramic aluminium cones are still a bit of a speciality. A plug and play woofer is going to be a difficult ask.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir!

I think the key thing this speaker and other revels do so well is controlling directivity and maintaining wide directivity. On most speakers there is a clear trade-off in one for the other. Just look at the polar plots or how much lower the DI curves are for the f208.

The Genelec, which isn't even super narrow, is only out to about 60 degrees compared to 75 degrees for the revel. In my experience these are very audible differences. Whether or not you like the wide directivity sound it's clear revel does it better than almost anyone.
My understanding is Olive's ratings indicate that the wider directivity transducer is the one most prefer. Is that correct?

QMuse

Major Contributor
I don't think it was that pretty, I think 1/6th smoothing was used judging by the look of the whole curve so that would have hidden a lot of peaks & troughs in the bass response....but it did extend further into the bass than the spinorama suggested.
For example this is a one sixth smoothing plot for my JBL 308p Mkii (well it's 1/6th on the bass and more relaxed on the treble), and you can tell it's the same kind of look to the bass in terms of smoothing as QMuse's measurement. I know that if I use Var Smoothing on the whole plot that the bass will show a lot more fluctuations, definitely 1/6th smoothing being used on that, so it's not as beautiful as it looks.
View attachment 62705

Correct, I used 1/6 smoothing with the response I posted.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is Olive's ratings indicate that the wider directivity transducer is the one most prefer. Is that correct?

Separate Harman research suggests wide directivity is preferred for most listeners, however the ratings/rankings use here make no evaluation of directivity width.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I've found that measuring both speakers together gives the best results, when I tried EQ'ing each individual speaker and then re-measuring both together they ended up cancelling each other out a lot creating more troughs...so I've had best results by just always measuring & EQ'ing with both speakers running, so treating them as a whole.

I do the same, but only up to 100-130HzHz. Upwards from there I EQ them separately.

QMuse

Major Contributor
What’s up with the trough between 80 and 300, looks like more than a room mode... can you try pulling one speaker out into the room and measuring with mic at ~1m? Other than that you have very impressive in room bass response from those speakers! 25 hz!

Probably SBIR cancellations.

Beave

Major Contributor

That is my understanding. I've seen pics of the Be midrange frames and magnets, and they're not like the SB Acoustics frames and magnets used in the regular Performa3 series.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Separate Harman research suggests wide directivity is preferred for most listeners, however the ratings/rankings use here make no evaluation of directivity width.

There is a lot known from research (much of from Harman) that is not part of the rating formula. I get to make myself unpopular, but IMHO (but I think with significant scientific justification) the ratings formula is not a proven scientific metric. Even the paper that introduced it makes no such claim. Is a guideline that shows that for the chosen components of the metric, and for the set of speakers tested, there is a clear strong relationship to preference, and that it is possible to create a weighted sum that has the same ordering as preferences. That is all. There is nothing in the work that says the set of metrics chosen is exclusive. There is a great deal it does not tell us, and I don't think anyone expects that it is some form of oracle. It provides interesting results for discussion.

It is strong supporting evidence that the given metrics are very important. The fact that a successful weighted formula could be contructed for the speakers tested is very good evidence. But IMHO the actual values of those weights remains open to significant debate. Given another set of loudspeaker measurements and preference rankings I very much doubt the weighs would be the same. I do think that a similar weighted metric could be constructed, validating the basic premise. Which is important.

But, we don't know what other metrics were tested, and we don't know what the range of speakers used for the tests were. Everyone seems to assume that a representative range of available competitive speakers were tested, but this is unknown. I suspect quite a number of tested speakers were variations on internal designs tested prior to market. The research has never released any of the input data. (Something that would nowadays would basically disqualify it from critical consideration. Aka the reproducibility crisis in science.) I have no way of validating the claims. If the data were available there could be progress. More speakers could be evaluated, newer statistical processes could be applied, even simple validation of the use of statistics applied to ensure mistakes were not made.

The evaluation of the metric is presented here for what it is worth only. It does not form part of Amir's tests. Its limitations are already clear, and it is quite possible that in a reasonably short amount of time, results here will start to overshadow it.

Beave

Major Contributor
Here's a pic of the 6.5" (165mm) woofer in the M126Be.

Revel M126Be woofer.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not SB. Colour me surprised. Very surprised.

If SB means snap-back then that is not so from me.

I am interested in what the "Chinese" reply meant. It is obvious that the driver had Made In China printed on it as well as CE.

Last edited:

carlob

Forum Donor
The F208 and 228Be use almost the same bass driver.

Differences between the speaker's bass response will be extraordinarily difficult to find. Any difference in measured results is almost certainly an artefact of the way the measurements were done.

Harman measurements for the 228Be and the F208 are significantly different in the bass dept. Also if you overlay the F228Be to the F208 measurements by amirm you see there is difference in bass extension end in the -3dB point (which was my point: there is difference and shouldn't be). I also suspect there is something wrong with Harman spins but still it's in their published specs, they sell speakers to people (like me) that could rely on those specs so they need to be corrected:

F228Be: Low-frequency extension: 33Hz (–10dB); 36Hz (–6dB); 48Hz (–3dB)
F208: Low Frequency Extension -10dB@23Hz, -6dB@27 Hz, -3dB@31Hz

As you see actually published bass specs are better for F208 which is another signal that they are probably wrong, they should be almost the same and I think the F228Be specs are "less wrong". speculating on that it might be that the old F208s were measured in Harman anechoic chamber and the new F228Be with the Klippel NFS.

Hope amirm gets to measure the 228Be so we can compare.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Harman measurements for the 228Be and the F208 are significantly different in the bass dept. Also if you overlay the F228Be to the F208 measurements by amirm you see there is difference in bass extension end in the -3dB point (which was my point: there is difference and shouldn't be). I also suspect there is something wrong with Harman spins but still it's in their published specs, they sell speakers to people (like me) that could rely on those specs so they need to be corrected:

F228Be: Low-frequency extension: 33Hz (–10dB); 36Hz (–6dB); 48Hz (–3dB)
F208: Low Frequency Extension -10dB@23Hz, -6dB@27 Hz, -3dB@31Hz

As you see actually published bass specs are better for F208 which is another signal that they are probably wrong, they should be almost the same and I think the F228Be specs are "less wrong". speculating on that it might be that the old F208s were measured in Harman anechoic chamber and the new F228Be with the Klippel NFS.

What LF response you'll get in your room will much more depend on the speaker's placement any you will anyhow have to use EQ to make LF response flat, so I wouldn't worry too much about anechoic LF measurements.

carlob

Forum Donor
What LF response you'll get in your room will much more depend on the speaker's placement any you will anyhow have to use EQ to make LF response flat, so I wouldn't worry too much about anechoic LF measurements.

I am not worried at all :) Didn't call to stop the truck transporting my F208s (that should have been here yesterday but oh well hopefully I'll get them tomorrow - shipped Apr, 28 from UK it's takin ages). But still specs are probably wrong.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I am not worried at all :) Didn't call to stop the truck transporting my F208s (that should have been here yesterday but oh well hopefully I'll get them tomorrow - shipped Apr, 28 from UK it's takin ages). But still specs are probably wrong.

Indeed, they are probably wrong.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do the same, but only up to 100-130HzHz. Upwards from there I EQ them separately.
Is that because the speakers only influence each other up to about 130Hz? Therefore you EQ them seperately above that point to get a more accurate end result. I've not tried that approach, could be on the cards for the future.

Top Bottom