• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My next project will be learning Spanish ... ;-)

Seems not enough with English, German, French & some Swahili. When in school long time ago we all had to learn two foreign languages apart from English. Swahili came later in life. Spanish it is then ...
The project I keep wanting to do, and putting off. What method of learning languages to you use? I've learned French in addition to English, but that was way back when in school when learning most things was pretty easy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am frequently in Alabama, where my company has an office and 1 million sq ft. factory. The Governor has relaxed the lock down but the lag time to new cases was less than I expected. As long as less than 10% of our workforce dies we'll be fine. /s
View attachment 62473
With Alabama it is pretty easy to see where it fits. If it is a list of something good, they'll be 49th (thank God for Mississippi). If it is a list of something bad, they'll be 2nd (again Mississippi). That graph does suspiciously fit the timeline for opening things up and 10 days later seeing an upswing. In this case it may be deceptive as widely available testing first became widely available during that same time period.

Willem

Major Contributor
I feel almost embarassed to say but today numbers are down again in the Netherlands. Importantly the number of new hospital admissions is only about a third of current deaths.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With Alabama it is pretty easy to see where it fits. If it is a list of something good, they'll be 49th (thank God for Mississippi). If it is a list of something bad, they'll be 2nd (again Mississippi). That graph does suspiciously fit the timeline for opening things up and 10 days later seeing an upswing. In this case it may be deceptive as widely available testing first became widely available during that same time period.
That was exactly my thought.

maty

Major Contributor
My next project will be learning Spanish ... ;-)

Seems not enough with English, German, French & some Swahili. When in school long time ago we all had to learn two foreign languages apart from English. Swahili came later in life. Spanish it is then ...

After Italian, Spanish is the easiest language to learn. They say that a boy of eleven and a half years is fluent in Italian, thirteen / fourteen in Spanish and seventeen in English.

Willem

Major Contributor
My (Dutch) children were absolutely fluent in English when they were four and six respectively. All it took was a sabbatical in Cambridge and after four months nobody in England could tell anymore. So yes, start young. It also helps if you already know a few languages, as long as they are in the same family like Indo European. The next one is always easier.

maty

Major Contributor
Los criterios que ha tenido en cuenta Sanidad [Spain] para permitir el paso a la fase 1
[Spanish] https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2...nido-cuenta-sanidad-permitir-paso-fase-1.html

The criteria that Health [Spain] has taken into account to allow the passage to phase 1
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20200508/481026431557/criterios-ha-tenido-cuenta-sanidad-permitir-paso-fase-1.html

[ Criteria for assessing transmission

- Play number as a function of time.

- Total number of cases confirmed by PCR in the last 7 days by the date of onset of symptoms.

- Accumulated incidence in the last 7 days, which means taking into account possible / suspected cases in the last 7 days; the percentage of possible / suspected cases with PCR performed and the positivity rate of suspected cases

Criteria for assessing severity

- Number of hospitalized in the last 7 days and percentage of occupation (%).

- Number of ICU cases in the last 7 days and percentage of occupation (%).

- Number of deaths in the last 7 days.

- Lethality in the last 7 days.

Criteria for assessing detection and response capabilities

- Number of intensive care beds (ICU) per 10,000 inhabitants (2).

- Number of acute beds per 10,000 inhabitants (between 37 and 40 beds).

- Primary care capacity for early diagnosis (ability to perform PCR on all suspects). In this section, it has been assessed whether it is already implemented, if there is a plan that can start on May 11 or if they do not have it, but they can implement it on May 11.

- They have protocols and resources for monitoring contacts.

- Surveillance system put in place to guarantee daily case monitoring and individualized notification (both primary and hospital).

- Protocol / plan to ensure the management of nursing homes.

In addition, Health has indicated that the rest of the protocols and procedures related to the management of the epidemic have been evaluated. ]

D

Deleted member 65

The project I keep wanting to do, and putting off. What method of learning languages to you use? I've learned French in addition to English, but that was way back when in school when learning most things was pretty easy.

English, French & German was traditional teaching in classroom with lots of homework (long time ago). Best language learning experience was Swahili. I had got a job in East Africa through the Swedish Development Agency and mandatory was to learn Swahili. So I was put in isolation for seven (7) weeks in a rural area with native Swahili speaking teachers, first week we were allowed to speak English and Swahili (from dictionary). Remaining six weeks only Swahili, no matter what. That's what I call a crash course.
Anyway I got around fairly well when I then lived and worked in East Africa, knowing the native country language is a key I believe.

maty

Major Contributor
Finally, there is documentary certainty of criminal negligence on the part of the Spanish government chaired by Pedro Sánchez. Documentary evidence that may be provided at trial. Surely the same with the governments of the different Spanish autonomous communities.

Presumably it will be news in the next few hours in the Spanish (in) communication media.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I saw this, thought it was funny, sort of. Sadly, all too common.

1588975972136.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please stop. Show us a single case. A single case. Of positive tests not rising in advance of fatalities.
How else can that work out. When tests are available and people are known to have it some die, the total rises. When tests aren't available some die with it we don't know about and the toll for this virus doesn't go up. We have the same problem in that we don't have a good idea how many had it out of the total population one month ago vs now. We have more tests, we have more positives, and we have a higher death toll attributed to the virus. What we don't know is did the total number of cases in the population shoot upward after the shutdown restrictions are eased or is it just coincidence with more tests all the same.

Looking at deaths per day in NYC there is unambiguous data showing a peak and deaths have dropped dramatically. However the entire state of New York has a chart not much different than Alabama. Further there is an almost matching increase in cases confirmed per day and deaths. Confirmed cases fit a timeline with loosening restrictions perhaps. The death rate however wouldn't have had time for the people just now getting the disease from eased restrictions just over a week ago to result in the same proportional increase in deaths per day. So more than likely it is at least somewhat increased testing. 3 weeks ago there was only 3 or 4 places to get tested statewide. Now several clinics have signs saying call for an appointment to get tested all over the state.

In the case with Alabama, the deaths per day haven't peaked yet, and testing was just becoming available very much at the same time. It is messy data, and it is unfortunate. But it isn't clear whether the jump in cases is due to more tests or more people contracting it after some restrictions were lifted. The rate of positive results, and deaths and tests done were all on an upward trend together over the same time. Governor could have waited longer until some peak deaths per day was reached and a decline was clear. Didn't happen so the data is unclear. It will become clear in another week to 10 days. Patience is needed. If the result does appear a large increase in the disease due to less restrictions, then maybe they'll see that and close things down again.

One other confounding bit of data. Number hospitalized with the virus currently has stayed the same and gone down recently in Alabama. Yet cases confirmed and deaths have gone up. If hospitalized cases go back up in another week, you'll have confirmation easing restrictions probably contributed to that.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

My wife has been extremely pleased with Duolingo. She's spent two and a half years doing it daily for Italian, and she can now watch YouTube videos and Italian TV shows and pretty much understand them fully. I expect that when we can finally get to Italy, she'll get us around just fine.

I'm too dumb for learning that way- I can only learn by full immersion.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife has been extremely pleased with Duolingo. She's spent two and a half years doing it daily for Italian, and she can now watch YouTube videos and Italian TV shows and pretty much understand them fully. I expect that when we can finally get to Italy, she'll get us around just fine.

I'm too dumb for learning that way- I can only learn by full immersion.

Thank you, I'll try that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom