• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2019 CES Asia ---SMSL will bring new product there

Toni71

I don`t know if its a good idea to further talk about the M200 in this topic? About user experiences? Maybe it is better to talk here about new things from SMSL. I started here because I dont have a driver for Xmos usb and other possible buyers also haven't. Maybe that way it is faster picked up by SMSL.

I wouldnt mind to write some experience down after some time use (week). But I am not the person who hears the air between the notes of the instruments between certain dacs. :)
Don`t expect that kind of review.

But I can write some user experience somewhere. That's not a problem and the least I can do.

I will pm you where I bought it.

Toni71

The volume knob is not that nice, I think. It feels a bit cheap and loosy. In the middle is a button you have to push it for on or off. It is not a nice steady knob like on some equipment. A cheap plastic knob it is, young padawan. :(
The box is nice. Made from metal and heavy.

Now I am off to bed. Holland time to sleep.

bonesy

The volume knob is not that nice, I think. It feels a bit cheap and loosy. In the middle is a button you have to push it for on or off. It is not a nice steady knob like on some equipment. A cheap plastic knob it is, young padawan. :(
The box is nice. Made from metal and heavy.

Now I am off to bed. Holland time to sleep.

Neither of the knobs look good but I'd like them to match at least! :)

Sleep well.

Daimiel

I don`t know if its a good idea to further talk about the M200 in this topic? About user experiences? Maybe it is better to talk here about new things from SMSL. I started here because I dont have a driver for Xmos usb and other possible buyers also haven't. Maybe that way it is faster picked up by SMSL.

I wouldnt mind to write some experience down after some time use (week). But I am not the person who hears the air between the notes of the instruments between certain dacs. :)
Don`t expect that kind of review.

But I can write some user experience somewhere. That's not a problem and the least I can do.

I will pm you where I bought it.
You could try the xmos driver of the toppong d70.

OP
SMSL-Mandy

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
https://hifi-express.com/products/smsl-m400-mqa-ak4499-dac-pre-order-discount

In appreciation of the audio community and the early supporters of the M400, SMSL is giving a 5% discount off the retail price of $809.99 on all pre-orders. These pre-orders will start shipping May 12th from China By DHL.

1(5).jpg

2.jpg
3(1).jpg
4.jpg

M400详情页英文_10.jpg
M400详情页英文_11.jpg
M400详情页英文_12.jpg
M400详情页英文_13.jpg
M400详情页英文_14.jpg

Last edited:

Toni71

I had to contact the store for the driver (Mandy). Topping driver isn't working. We will see. No contact yet. I bought it from Shenzenaudio.

Toni71

SMSL responded quickly. The driver is now on the Shenzenaudiostore. If it works (at work now, can't test) I am a happy customer (great sound yet from optical).
Customerservice is fast from SMSL. Therefore thanks.
I will type my experiences later..

(edit: driver working fine. Every bitrate available)

Last edited:

catbb67

Not sure if any mentioned this. I m seeing M400 in Shenzhenaudio and Aliexpress on pre-sale.

Jumpwire

Man DAC's are like my addiction. Had to force myself from buying a M400. Having a M500, I don't think there will be any sonic differences. Unless someone does a comprehensive blind A\B listening test, sound signature evaluations of DAC's are utterly subjective.

Wish the M500 wasn't brick shaped to fit my other components.

Just hire me for your designs SMSL. I would design your whole lineup to look better then Topping. I feel like athetics are huge for audiophiles. If you guys put the M400 into machined aluminum case, source a better LCD and not reuse the cheap looking M200 rotary dial, it would be easily a 1200$ DAC.

Nevertheless, for plebs like me $1100CAD for a DAC is a bit much. Contemplating buying one, I decided to just buy a pair of TOTL cans. I think it will please my ears more then an expensive DAC.

Daemon85

yeah smsl need to fire designers and get a unified look and fire the people doing naming schemes... make it look like the know what they are doing

atomicminded

I just found out about the M400 last night on facebook. My topping d90 arrives tomorrow. I'll need to see some independent measurements first before I decide if I'm gonna try the M400 too. I'd like to see a sharper filter than the d90 has!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom