• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I immediately updated the firmware. I will report the result.

The test was performed by randomly switching the files from PCM44.1kHz to PCM768kHz and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5.

1. The previously reported problem of pop noise has been improved.

2. We have also improved the strange display on the display when switching songs. However, there are still times when the Err display momentarily appears.

3. In the middle of the test, when I switched between songs, the loud noise was played only once.

4. Playback on DSD 2.8 is not improved. This problem seems to require hardware improvement as Topping says.

I'm sorry for my alway poor English.

Add 1 point
5. When DSD is played after the factory reset of E30, the phenomenon that a loud noise is heard for a moment when the playback starts is not improved.
Would you demonstrate the last point where a loud noise is heard for a moment when playback starts? I think I missed it here.

Toku

Major Contributor
Would you demonstrate the last point where a loud noise is heard for a moment when playback starts? I think I missed it here.
Yes, there is noise at the moment of playback start. It is a short time of about 0.5 seconds.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, there is noise at the moment of playback start. It is a short time of about 0.5 seconds.
So that means the E30 plays white noise for half a second before actual music? Does it apply to all DSD formats?

yodog

instruction is in the zip file

It says "The driver DLL required to access the device is missing."

that is when I try to double click and open the "ToppingUsbAudioDfu_V4.82" file.

What am I missing / what do I need to do?

aabman

According to the driver instruction, would like to suggest as follows:

1. the PC MUSS have the driver installed and worked,
2. to link the E30 to the PC WITH POWER ON first.

Not sure if this could be done.

Last edited:

yodog

I think I'm supposed to download the driver here first :

http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/379406.html

then proceed with the install.... it doesn't specify to use the USB but I assume so...

---

I downloaded and installed the driver from the link above first, then after that I proceeded to open the .exe file from the firmware ZIP file upgrade and everything worked fine. Cheers.

Last edited:

aabman

So how is the pop sound? Did it still exist? Thx. If the pop sound solved, I will order E30.

aabman

Thx. Just ordered E30 and waiting for the shipment. Will report my findings on this DAC.

aabman

Oh, Topping is a reputable company who really concern about the customer.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Oh, Topping is a reputable company who really concern about the customer.
Yes, Topping always responds to complaints from our users in good faith. So I love Topping.
Even if you have a problem with the product you purchased, Topping gives you a chance to solve the problem together.
Tomorrow, E30 with improved HW will arrive to me from Topping. I will try it out as soon as I receive it.

Toku

Major Contributor
Just got the E30, will be using it with the iMAC (current Catalina 10.15.4), do I need to update the firmware?
Yes, even if your PC is iMAC, you need to update the firmware.
However, the firmware update can only be executed on a Windows PC.

Top Bottom