• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo M Scaler - Stereophile Review (measurements also)

Putter

Forum Donor
Double blind test? Serious? You understand that test is subjective, therefore doesn't belong on this forum.

Again, the mathematics back up the M-Scaler.
Sorry . but your test is the subjective one by any definition of the word. But in any case I stand by my original post. You may not think they're valid, but claims that are not backed up by double blind listening tests for anything but speakers won't fly here.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Double blind test? Serious? You understand that test is subjective, therefore doesn't belong on this forum.

Again, the mathematics back up the M-Scaler.
I'd suggest you get a tattoo, maybe ' I love DAVE ' , until then I don't think anyone here will take you seriously.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You keep calling it Chord marketing. That document contains the facts about the sinc(x) digital filtering for audio, maybe you should read it.

Have you read it?

You said: "What can be done in terms of upscaling in SOFTWARE is still no match to the level of upscaling accuracy the M-scaler has done in REAL TIME."

From that document:

"I’ve suggested in the past, albeit never in print before, that someone with access to heavyweight number-crunching might use it to create a readily accessible cache of sinc-interpolated music files, precisely for the development of improvedinterpolation filters. This may not be an act of philanthropy likely to secure you a cover of Time magazine – but audiophiles might forever revere your name. Anyone interested?"

Like you, it seems the author isn't aware of what exists...

Of the many HQPlayer filters available, there is a 1 million tap ultrafast roll-off sinc filter....

RustyGates

I'd suggest you get a tattoo, maybe ' I love DAVE ' , until then I don't think anyone here will take you seriously.

Yeah maybe I should. Its backed up by the fact to date its still the most resolving DAC on the market, with a measured distortion number of 0.000015% @ 0dBFS, 1KHz as well as winning the best DAC in the world two years in a row at Rocky Mountain.

I'll have fun prodding all the jelly beans who can't afford one though (you can tell who they are, because they make threads such as this).

Veri

Master Contributor
I listened on the Blu MK2 (MScaler with CD player) with DAVE vs DAVE alone (Blu MK2 passthrough) with Headamp BHSE and Dan Clark Voce just a few days ago on a quiet room. Seriously, there's absolutely no audible difference that I detect between Blu MK2 passthrough vs full 768 KHz oversampling with DAVE. Can't even tell if the thing is actually changing something in the signal as I see DAVE's sample rate go up, but no audible sound difference that happens during the oversampling

View attachment 52805
So what about posts like these? I've read plenty of similar ones on reddit. People auditioning the Chord scaler and they can't hear a difference. Imagine the disappointment.

I'll have fun prodding all the jelly beans who can't afford one though (you can tell who they are, because they make threads such as this).
You sound like a real 'Nice guy' :facepalm:. Now I understand you're such a fan boy, you're the exact type of person that keeps this kind of bullshit multi-k$ audiophile tweak toy market afloat.
But sure, blind tests don't belong on a science forum. Nice rebuttal. Enjoy your fantasy.

RustyGates

So what about posts like these? I've read plenty of similar ones on reddit. People auditioning the Chord scaler and they can't hear a difference. Imagine the disappointment.

You sound like a real 'Nice guy' :facepalm:. Now I understand you're such a fan boy, you're the exact type of person that keeps this kind of bullshit multi-k$ audiophile tweak toy market afloat.
But sure, blind tests don't belong on a science forum. Nice rebuttal. Enjoy your fantasy.

This is the whole point of this forum isn't it? To complain about price. Don't buy a Ferarri. Go and buy a Ford. See my previous replies. Stop complaining.

And like I said before, I hear a real difference. I really don't care what YOU hear in a blind A/B test. There are so many people who can't tell between SINAD 80 and SINAD 120. Sucks to be them I guess.

The mathematics is the objective in this argument. And the maths back it up, as well the convenience and flexibility hardware implementation brings about, as does the icing on the cake - the build quality.

Last edited:

RustyGates

I have nothing against Chord. I love their products. I like their unique aesthetics. A Chord Dave is actually one of the 3 luxury dacs in my short list I want to purchase in the next few years.

However the way you are going around prancing and flapping your mouth is really rubbing me the wrong way. I also do not appreciate you straight up admitting you are creating drama. If you've got nothing valuable to contribute just go back to the bridge you came from.

Reported your previous comment.

I was having a civil argument until Thomas Savage started pouting things like "Just go tattoo I LOVE DAVE", thats when it goes down hill, and yes I will bite back. Now you? Just throwing direct insults.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm on the side of the argument that making sensational statements meant to flame and grief others isn't something that should be allowed here. I just call things how I see it. Don't act like a you know what and you won't get called out for it.

edit. ok, I'm sorry for calling you a &^$@ that was overboard.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Reported your previous comment.

I was having a civil argument until Thomas Savage started pouting things like "Just go tattoo I LOVE DAVE", thats when it goes down hill, and yes I will bite back. Now you? Just throwing direct insults.
Civil, without any value to any of us however. You were talking nonsense about blind tests and bringing up the prohibitive cost of this before I said anything about a tattoo .

I'm pleased you like your DAC, save us the sales pitch it falls way below the mark for being of interest to anyone here. You don't want a debate you just want affirmation of you opinions and some self gratification.

Neither are of interest to us.

RustyGates

Civil, without any value to any of us however.

I'm pleased you like your DAC, save us the sales pitch it falls way below the mark for being of interest to anyone here.

My responses were in rebuttal to the whole premise of this thread, which as I see it, was written in such a way & intended to call the m-Scaler out for being a load of overpriced hogwash.

Value is a perception. All I am saying is:

1. The M-scaler proves it performance (measured), and there is the maths to back it up
2. Is implemented in hardware, so has the flexibility and convenience of being decoupled from a PC with software
3. Has exceptional build quality, as with all Chord products.
4. I hear a real difference with the M-Scaler, as do many other people. Yes there are people who can't hear a difference. Overall, who cares. What I hear is the most important.

If its not worth the price for you and you see HQplayer as fit for purpose. peace man. But there was no reason for this thread in the first place. Premium products demand premium prices, as does a Ferrari. I can also get from A to B with a nice Ford. I don't create threads to call out Aston Martins for being overpriced for what it ultimately does, get me from A to B.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Let's look at the objective side.

The Chord filter appears to be excellent exemplary, perfect. Not looking at the price and for some perhaps the appearance it looks like a nice piece of hardware engineering.

Then there is a cheap solution, HQPlayer. Not everyone agrees with the statements made from @Miska.
I have tried HQPlayer and found the user interface horrible.
Maybe it takes getting used to, maybe its just me ?

4. I hear a real difference with the M-Scaler, as do many other people. Yes there are people who can't hear a difference. Overall, who cares. What I hear is the most important.

That may be so and is true. In an objective sense it doesn't look like you made this call based on objective (blind) testing. That's the point where the shoe doesn't quite fit with most members.

f its not worth the price for you and you see HQplayer as fit for purpose. peace man. But there was no reason for this thread in the first place.

I don't know, given the reactions there is reason for its existence.

Premium products demand premium prices, as does a Ferrari. I can also get from A to B with a nice Ford.

I think most on here will agree.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My responses were in rebuttal to the whole premise of this thread, which as I see it, was written in such a way & intended to call the m-Scaler out for being a load of overpriced hogwash.

1. The M-scaler proves it performance (measured), and there is the maths to back it up
2. Is implemented in hardware, so has the flexibility and convenience of being decoupled from a PC with software

If its not worth the price for you and you see HQplayer as fit for purpose. peace man. But there was no reason for this thread in the first place. Premium products demand premium prices, as does a Ferrari. I can also get from A to B with a nice Ford. I don't create threads to call out Aston Martins for being overpriced for what it ultimately does, get me from A to B.
Iv no issue with watts and his self fulfilling quest to keep himself occupied.

I just don't think anyone can hear the difference, it's all just a way of maintaining a point of difference in a crowded market.

It's impressive technically but that's about it.

Providing evidence of the audibility of these Watts technical tour de force devices would be very interesting.

Alas you dismissed that out of hand.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor

If its not worth the price for you and you see HQplayer as fit for purpose. peace man. But there was no reason for this thread in the first place. Premium products demand premium prices, as does a Ferrari. I can also get from A to B with a nice Ford.

1) Balanced cables do the same, but for the use cases we use in a home environment, this is seldom required from a desktop setup use case. So even if you have the math to backup claims of measured metrics, what's going over your head currently is the focus people have with respect to the pragmatic case against this device.

2) At this cost, paying for something that could even be considered for even needing to be decoupled is a comedic notion. Unless you mean simply disconnected from PC sources, which is fine as connectivity options are concerned.

3) Exceptional? Perhaps it is in some concordance with the price, but as I mentioned prior, it's nothing too drastic (certainly not at the price), it's simply good materials work.

4) You get to the crux for all the dissemination against you currently (I actually will rise to your defense in the sense that people aren't actually addressing some things you're saying, but you sprinkle in enough personal back-talk, people latch on to that, on top of the impression you gave coming to the defense of a product of this sort which stands as one of the examples of antithesis for what this places hopes to dispel). People aren't concerned with your claims unless you can prove them (in the same way you provided "the math" behind the M-Scaler, we would like to have you measured (objectively, and yes, as counter-intuiative as that notion may seem linguistically; subjective occurrences can be objectively evaluated). By that I mean just a blind test to prove your hearing is actually capable of what you claim it is. And after that, pinpointing the source of such a phenomena.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll repeat myself once again to address your closing statement here. The reason for this thread is entertainment. The comedic relief variant. Not every attempt at humor is met with relate-ability from all people. It seems you're one of them.

Also your analogy with Ferrari VS Ford isn't one I would not grant soundness. I feel a better comparison would be a Ferrari VS Ford steering wheel. And in this case the Chord folks are claiming their steering wheel will make you a better driver and win races over other drivers not using their steering wheel.

It would be fine if Chord was saying what you are: "Premium products demand premium prices, as does a Ferrari." Which is fine if we're talking about how nice the steering wheel feels to use. But, getting "from A to B" isn't much of an issue using either steering wheel, aside from the hilarity of plopping down for an F1 Ferrari steering wheel to drive to pickup groceries.

I hope you can see why my analogy is less disagreeable...

D

Deleted member 9286

@RustyGates Hi, I think I remember you from some of the Headfi Chord threads. Am I right? You always came across as a nice enough guy.

I own the M Scaler and TT2 and love them too. As I’ve said here before, I do think (maybe more ‘hope’ nowadays) that Rob is on to something. If you look at his background and experience, he clearly is very knowledgeable. I still keep in touch with him but no longer visit Headfi due to the amount of rubbish talked there.

Over here you need to be bringing something with you, you can’t just say it sounds better. I would highly recommend you stick around for a while though as you’ll def gain from it as there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So whats the real reason for this whole damn thread? Nothing.
IME the reason is this statement:
"The Hugo M Scaler . . . takes the digital file and repairs it, adding back the information lost between the samples, then it sends the repaired file to the DAC."
... and the graphs as shown in the review. The former is BS, the latter is misleading[1] as there is no direct visual correspondence between a sampled series and its reconstructed analog signal. CHORD knows that this is misleading (otherwise they would not be able to create the upsampler) which raises my hair WRT their other claims.

[1] Just look at the same graph with a 20 kHz sinus signal sampled with 44.1 kHz. The sampled signal looks very different.

Top Bottom