• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm persona 9H

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't want to see the ringing in the CSD.

The peak at around 1.4kHz looks suspiciously like a breakup resonance of the midrange.
1215P95Ffig03.jpg

It even shows in the impedance plot.
1215P95Ffig01.jpg

Could it be ringing?
Maybe. It still could be EQ’d (still would have some decay, but it still would be likely inaudible).

LDKTA

Not surprised one bit, each and every time I've heard the 9H's, I was left unimpressed and ultimately annoyed. The older Paradigm Signature models on the other hand are quite lovely.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Didn't Paradigm used to care about good frequency response? Or am I confusing them with the other Canadian company, PSB?
Paradigm did hire some of the NRC researchers and built double blind testing facility and such. But they also realized how important speaker marketing is and what they produce is no longer aligned that well with that research.

With respect to 9H, it all depends on the ARC calibration. I have heard them sound excellent and poor in different setups. Compared to speakers with no correction, they easily win on bass boominess due to built-in EQ.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
With respect to 9H, it all depends on the ARC calibration. I have heard them sound excellent and poor in different setups. Compared to speakers with no correction, they easily win on bass boominess due to built-in EQ.
Yes, the pair I heard at last years Tampa show got best of show from me. But since they are most always demo'd with Anthem ARC correction running, your never quite sure what your listening to.. The speakers at this years show were the 7F's IIRC and I found the demo unimpressive.

steve59

Major Contributor
I agree oddly enough the 7f anthem combo sounds too dry in the mids and detailed up top to be engaging. I would have expected a marriage like revel and Mark Levinson from this company. Idk

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m fairly certain the graphs from stereophile are NOT Paradigm Persona 9H but the Paradigm Prestige 95f (a $5000 USD speaker).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

elberoth

I had the 7H at home and they sounded waaaaay to bright. Not sure how you can make them sound right, unless you use some kind of EQ.

steve59

Major Contributor
I wouldn't have believed they were the same speakers had I not heard the differences with my own ears and eyes. Of coarse even in their current setup that I find natural some might still find bright, but there was no sibilance, piano sounded natural and instruments kept their place in space.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I’ve heard several speakers from the persona line, but all at different times and locations. I thought the 9H at the Tampa show a couple of years ago sounded surprisingly good in that little room. I thought the 7Fs at this year’s (in the same size room but set up differently) did sound bright, and more so at high volume (the really great guys from Anthem and Paradigm who ran the demo were in no hurry to leave on Friday evening and let me stay and listen with them for a while after everyone else left). I spent some time playing familiar music on 3Fs at a dealer and thought those sounded good there (without room correction). The bookshelves didn’t impress me at the same dealer. Probably the only lesson for me is how much difference the room makes.

Bear123

Another example of why good objective measurement data is so important when selecting speakers, and why the antiquated notion of demoing every speaker you might want to consider buying in a show room is a terrible way to select speakers. Who knows what the setup is, what room correction is being used etc etc etc.

Show me a good spin, and I'll make my decision based on whether I want a bookshelf or tower speaker, cost, extension, sensitivity, power handling, and looks. If I'm still left with more than one option, purchase both and keep the winner. Fortunately for me, this purchase methodology narrowed the field down to one speaker.

steve59

Major Contributor
Bear. I think you just said you'll take any revel over any other speaker regardless how they sound? I only know harman is publishing, marketing these spin results and if there's others I'd like to know. I don't have a problem with your method even if I choose to stick to the old fashioned method of buying what sounds best in my room instead of someone elses.

Bear123

Bear. I think you just said you'll take any revel over any other speaker regardless how they sound? I only know harman is publishing, marketing these spin results and if there's others I'd like to know. I don't have a problem with your method even if I choose to stick to the old fashioned method of buying what sounds best in my room instead of someone elses.

No, not at all, rather that measurements are a great way to narrow down the field of choices without spending my life trying to demo dozens of speakers in my room for no reason since many measure poorly. I had narrowed the field down to KEF, Revel, Focal, and I think one other that met my criteria for good measurements. I did land on Revel due to aesthetics. They do sound good in my room as I knew they would from the spins, just as they would sound good in any other room as well. It made more sense to me to "pre-screen" them with measurements rather than randomly demoing the dozens of choices available in my price range....we know speakers with poor measurements won't sound as good as speakers with better measurements, so it was easy to narrow the field this way.

steve59

Major Contributor
I'm dsp all the was so I get it. I still think there's a measurement missing that should tell us when we're going to need an arc welder to get the woofers moving. Or do we just start adding a '0' to recommended watts needed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I still think there's a measurement missing that should tell us when we're going to need an arc welder to get the woofers moving.
There is, sensitivity. Only almost all lie about it today. :mad:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1586191497567.png

I'm almost tempted to eq some speakers to have a similar balance to see what they're trying to do here. This is rough, and the individual driver responses are not too hot either.

steve59

Major Contributor
Isn't paradigm Saen Olive? Dr Tooles research partner? and doesn't that man design paradigm speakers?

Top Bottom