• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass Management (High Pass Filter) in an ASR Approved System?

QMuse

Major Contributor

Speaking of your "LOL", I don't remember you ever posted your in-room measurement of your speaker's response. Plz feel free to post them as empowerment to any future discussion on the topic of successful sub integration.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I’m an EE as well( RF power amplifiers and WiFi chips). I enjoy properly engineered well measuring DACs and amps even if the differences may not be audible. The “best” AV pre pros that I’ve seen measured here have design flaws like missing antialiasing filters.

Is that so? In that case it would be easy for you to post a proof that their "flaws" are audible. How did you come to conclusion that tested AV pre pros don't have antialiasing filters?

Btw, my point is that market is in need of cheap multichannel DACs not a high-end product like 8 channel Octo DAC which hardly has a market or purpose.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that so? In that case it would be easy for you to post a proof that their "flaws" are audible. How did you come to conclusion that tested AV pre pros don't have antialiasing filters?

Btw, my point is that market is in need of cheap multichannel DACs not a high-end product like 8 channel Octo DAC which hardly has a market or purpose.

What does electrical engineering tell you about human sound perception? I must have missed that class. Who claimed that the flaws were audible anyway?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of your "LOL", I don't remember you ever posted your in-room measurement of your speaker's response. Plz feel free to post them as empowerment to any future discussion on the topic of successful sub integration.
If I needed help I would post the graphs. It sounds wonderful. FWIW I use the high pass filter built into my Crown XLS 1502 and the low pass built into the subs. It's easy and effective but not acceptable to the Benchmark or DSP before analogue crowd. Perhaps you don't understand why I am laughing,

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you come to conclusion that tested AV pre pros don't have antialiasing filters?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-marantz-av8805-av-processor.6926/

index.php

There is almost no filtering at 22.05 kHz! It is not until we reach almost 40 kHz that full filtering takes effect. I searched the manual for any DAC filter setting but did not find anything. This is flat out broken. I get wanting slow roll off but this smells like incorrectly programmed filter setting.

QMuse

Major Contributor
If I needed help I would post the graphs.

Posting graphs is not about needing help, it's about showing you did it the right way and sharing your knowledge and experience in order to help others to do that as well.

QMuse

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-marantz-av8805-av-processor.6926/

index.php

There is almost no filtering at 22.05 kHz! It is not until we reach almost 40 kHz that full filtering takes effect. I searched the manual for any DAC filter setting but did not find anything. This is flat out broken. I get wanting slow roll off but this smells like incorrectly programmed filter setting.

Oh right, that graph must be a screaming offence to your ears. Was that a joke?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Old Denon 1910 with Audyssey.For the newer you must use an hdmi to spdif converter
Won't pass a 4K signal and no Atmos support so that won't work for me. Thanks though

RE: an HDMI to spiff converter. This sounds interesting. You you know if I could continue to use the receiver for center, surounds , and atmos while extracting just the L+R (not down mixed) channels from an HDMI out and converting to SPDIF including keeping volume matched? If so that would solve many problems.

Thanks

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh right, that graph must be a screaming offence to your ears. Was that a joke?
you asked for evidence of broken antialiasing filters, there it is. What's your problem?

QMuse

Major Contributor
you asked for evidence of broken antialiasing filters, there it is. What's your problem?

I have no problem. If your only evidence is that peak at -110dB you should ask @RayDunzl to explain you a thing or two about his shoutometer and the audibility of -110 db artifacts.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no problem. If your only evidence is that peak at -110dB you should ask @RayDunzl to explain you a thing or two about his shoutometer and the audibility of -110 db artifacts.
You must be confusing me for someone else or confusing my criticism of AV pre pro performance with someone else’s. Read back over the thread , I stated that AV pre pro SINAD performance was not up there with state of the art DACs and that some high end ones still have problems e.g. antialiasing filters (for which you asked for evidence and I provided)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
When you put AV processors THD in the context of loudpspeaker's distortion you might get a different picture., so let's not get into that. ;)

My post was in the context of integrating sub(s) in your system, for that you'll need a bass management system capable of delaying the mains ang high-passing them. To do that you've got 2 options: either do it in a convolution engine in front of a multichannell DAC (hopefully costing less than Oppo 8 channel DAC, as that IMO is overkill), or do it via AV processor, which has bass management function built-in.
The Minidsp SHD costs more, but gives you everything you need to do what you want:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

Buying an AV processor is risky, because its not just THD performance that can be an issue with those. They are prone to many different problems in their software. Plus the SHD has good performance and costs less than an AV processor.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Please let me know if you find one of those. I haven’t
Won't pass a 4K signal and no Atmos support so that won't work for me. Thanks though

RE: an HDMI to spiff converter. This sounds interesting. You you know if I could continue to use the receiver for center, surounds , and atmos while extracting just the L+R (not down mixed) channels from an HDMI out and converting to SPDIF including keeping volume matched? If so that would solve many problems.

Thanks
I have been searching about this for a while but Atmos is only done internally i believe.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Minidsp SHD costs more, but gives you everything you need to do what you want:

Buying an AV processor is risky, because its not just THD performance that can be an issue with those. They are prone to many different problems in their software. Plus the SHD has good performance and costs less than an AV processor.
Unfortunately does not have a HT pass through mode.

QMuse

Major Contributor

What exactly is MiniDSP SHD giving you?

1. DAC performance? You can buy DAC of better performance for fraction of it's price.

2. Dirac Room EQ? With REW you can generate filters that will give you same thing for free.

3.) Volumio? It's a free software. With free version you can install DSP plugin which will enable you to run BruteFIR convolution engine to run not only room EQ filters but to run crossover filters and many more, like HP filters on your mains etc.

Were you joking?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What exactly is MiniDSP SHD giving you?

1. DAC performance? You can buy DAC of better performance for fraction of it's price.

2. Dirac Room EQ? With REW you can generate filters that will give you same thing for free.

3.) Volumio? It's a free software. With free version you can install DSP plugin which will enable you to run BruteFIR convolution engine to run not only room EQ filters but to run crossover filters and many more, like HP filters on your mains etc.

Were you joking?
You get everything in one package.

Lets start of with you linking me a DAC with better performance and at least 4 output channels. The only option we know for sure is good is the Octo Dac 8, but then you still need to sort out your room correction and crossover. Total price would be the same but would take more time to setup.

REW can't do what Dirac does. I'm not familiar with BruteFIR, but can you explain how I setup such a system to take input from a tv, cd-player and other non-network based playback? I understand you can do what Dirac does with that, but compared to something that is pretty much plug and play....also lets not forget that with REW you still need a MiniDSP or a PC. Can you run BruteFIR on Minidsp hardware? Or do you need a pc? Which brings me back to my input question.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The solution already exists with Minidsp products. If home theater bypass is your biggest hang up - many of their products offer 4 programable settings selectable on the unit or remote (not sure about the SHD) where you could have a setting for HT and one for multichannel audio, 2 channel and another for 2 channel (+ subs). Depends on if you consider their products "ASR approved" I guess. I use a MSB ADD-1 (ADC) as sort of a preamp to run my turntable and BT into and it converts everything to 24/96 which bypasses my Minidsp 4x10's deficient ADC and keeps all sources digital. Roon and others allow you to build on MiniDSP with their own DRC on top of it for products like Dirac etc.

I use the Minidsp 4x10 with a topping D10 between it and the computer as a 2.3 active system (3-way mains + 18" sub + 2x 10" subs) so 9 amplified channels. The 4x10 provides PEQ to smooth out individual drivers and enclosure. Since I've started using Roon I've been able to play with additional DSP with products like Dirac etc.

None of it is automated of course so having a mic, mic pre, software (REW) and the knowledge to use it is prerequisite.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The solution already exists with Minidsp products. If home theater bypass is your biggest hang up - many of their products offer 4 programable settings selectable on the unit or remote (not sure about the SHD) where you could have a setting for HT and one for multichannel audio, 2 channel and another for 2 channel (+ subs). Depends on if you consider their products "ASR approved" I guess. I use a MSB ADD-1 (ADC) as sort of a preamp to run my turntable and BT into and it converts everything to 24/96 which bypasses my Minidsp 4x10's deficient ADC and keeps all sources digital. Roon and others allow you to build on MiniDSP with their own DRC on top of it for products like Dirac etc.

I use the Minidsp 4x10 with a topping D10 between it and the computer as a 2.3 active system (3-way mains + 18" sub + 2x 10" subs) so 9 amplified channels. The 4x10 provides PEQ to smooth out individual drivers and enclosure. Since I've started using Roon I've been able to play with additional DSP with products like Dirac etc.

None of it is automated of course so having a mic, mic pre, software (REW) and the knowledge to use it is prerequisite.
I believe there is a latency issue where the delay of the channels going through the SHD would not be the same as the rest of the speakers. Also if someone touched the volume it would mess up the channel balance.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I think the only solution would be to ask a qualified technician to extract the digital signal from the l+ r channel from an avr. There are companies like cinemike in Germany who do things like avr tuning, you can ask there how and if it is possible

Top Bottom