• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 Review

kouki_monster

I think CA has milked the design a bit too long. As good as it was back then, and is still reasonably respectable, for the dollars asked it's time to look elsewhere. A refurbed model might be OK if gotten cheap. I have one in a closet somewhere, replaced with the CA DacMag Plus. One thing on the latter more expensive unit: the tiny LEDs are starting to fade, making that functionality useless. I'm not sure who spec'd LEDs that wear out so quickly? To save a few pennies in production? Maybe it's just my unit, who knows?

If you think about it.. LED lighting, just like DAC's, sure has come a long way in the last 10 years huh?! ;-p

Tks

Major Contributor
Is the TOSLINK a dual socket that supports mini-TOSLINK? Or is it just a normal TOSLINK input without the cover flap?

61pwOdapwoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

georgeT

It's actually 100$ where I live, which is not a bad deal considering it's what I paid for a D10, and the D10 doesn't have optical input

BenF

Forum Donor
Cool to see this one tested. I still have two of them here in silver.

DSCF9488b.jpg

Asylum Seeker

I had the Plus feeding a pair of actives via XLR back in the day when it came out.

Interference

I have just scored a standard DacMagic (the one with also XLR outputs) for very cheap. It's a very fine machine, it's a pity it can't do 24/96 over USB because performance-wise it's not obsolete at all. Good to know performance is consistent across the different series.

Reactions: wje

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Interesting that its still $200 after basically 7 years on the market? I suppose if you bought it 7 years ago and are using it until now then you definitely got your moneys worth! Considering how many DAC's performed worse than this just in 2017!

wje

Forum Donor
Now I am really curious how new Cambridge Audio products perform. If their 2012 DACs are doing this well, their newer stuff is hopefully even better.

I've had their CXA80 integrated amplifier that I truly enjoyed for a few years before moving to their Azur 851N network player and Azur 851W power amplifier. It would seem that the Dac Magic 100 is built around the Wolfson DAC chip. Probably, quite comparable to the DAC built into the CXA80 - with similar release dates/times. I know in the newer CXA81, Cambridge opted to go for the ESS Sabre DAC chip. The upgrade to the Azur line was a slight improvement over the CXN (v1) Network player and CXA80 integrated amplifier. Ultimately, though, what pushed me away from the 851N was that I was also using it as a digital preamplifier. To me, it didn't have enough range in the volume control. Recalling from memory, it had a range of 0 to 30. I'd normally listen in the 12 to 14 range. But feel that the product would have been a better preamplifier if they had more increments - 12, 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14, etc. instead. The volume jumps and drops were a bit too extreme for when I wanted to find that "perfect" volume level. Sadly, Cambridge cancelled manufacturing on the 851E preamplfier, which are somewhat hard to find in the used market. Though, from my experience with Cambridge Audio, their gear is solid. They have a great Android/iPad app that connects to their network players. They have a great assortment of indexed Internet radio stations. It was quite easy to search by country, genre, etc. With many of the other products (HEOS, Bluesound Node 2i, etc.), you have to manually create your list of Internet radio stations using one of their plug-ins for the app itself. A bit more time intensive. I guess in that regard, the Cambridge really shined, IMO.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Though, from my experience with Cambridge Audio, their gear is solid. They have a great Android/iPad app that connects to their network players.
I've been using the original Cambridge StreamMagic 6 for the best part of a decade. It was one of the first streamer/dacs and a thoroughly excellent piece of kit. I think the dac in it is identical to the stand alone Dacmagic plus. The streamer part is getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays and only really supports Spotify (which is fine). However, I always found the iPad app rather mediocre bordering on unusable although I rarely use internet radio. BluOS seems infinitely preferable IMO ...

wje

Forum Donor
I've been using the original Cambridge StreamMagic 6 for the best part of a decade. It was one of the first streamer/dacs and a thoroughly excellent piece of kit. I think the dac in it is identical to the stand alone Dacmagic plus. The streamer part is getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays and only really supports Spotify (which is fine). However, I always found the iPad app rather mediocre bordering on unusable although I rarely use internet radio. BluOS seems infinitely preferable IMO ...

The Cambridge Connect app is old and dated. But, they have a new one, Stream Magic, I believe, which is much improved.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
But, they have a new one, Stream Magic, I believe, which is much improved.
Yes, which ironically doesn't work with any of the devices actually called StreamMagic ... :facepalm:

wje

Forum Donor
Yes, which ironically doesn't work with any of the devices actually called StreamMagic ... :facepalm:

I was using the Cambridge Connect, which was just OK. But after some conversations with their support, they suggested I use the StreamMagic app as it had just been released about 5 months ago. It worked pretty well.

gfx_1

Interesting that its still $200 after basically 7 years on the market? I suppose if you bought it 7 years ago and are using it until now then you definitely got your moneys worth! Considering how many DAC's performed worse than this just in 2017!
A Dutch store sells it for 139 euro. 149 euro at amazon.de (incl. salestax)

gfx_1

Is the TOSLINK a dual socket that supports mini-TOSLINK? Or is it just a normal TOSLINK input without the cover flap?
Just Toslink, mini toslink can be found on some laptops/computers combined with the normal 3.5mm analog out.
But optical cables don't need to be expensive.

Migel83

Hello,
I bought one last October 2019 but no standard device, but there is someone in Germany who can modify it. His offer was a new Cambridge ready modified for € 30 in total, I paid € 180 for it after burn in about 20-30 hours with the Shiit Vali a good combo. I switched later to a Beresford Capella Headphoneamp and these two harmonize perfectly with each other, together with the Fostex tr x00 or a Denon Ah D7200 a real treat for the ears close to it.However the Cambridge simply delivers more details in the end and is airier in the overall stage design. Although I liked the Fostex very much, I preferred to use the Cambridge.I have to say market is respect. Many devices from the time are no longer available for sale if only needed that can still offer him the nose.
I'm really thinking about whether it would be worth a topping E30, something is still holding me back. You are not far apart in terms of the measured values. The Akm chip, on the other hand, is appealing.
One more thing I can say the purchase is definitely worth it and will not be a bad buy. Just make sure that the headphone amplifier is not a bad one and be happy.
I connected it via USB on the PC, Ootic on the Ps4 pro, CD player via Coax.
There is still a USB 2.0 upgrade as firmware, from Jitter ect I hear absolutely zero and nothing.

tw99

You have definitely picked the right forum to give us your subjective impressions, we absolutely love that here. Great to hear that 30 hours of burn in made things better. Maybe another 30 hours will make it better still !

Alternatively, you could use the technical section here to educate yourself on why the idea of burn in is UTTER NONSENSE!

Migel83

Hello,
yes i can understand that it is a very controversial topic.
Without wanting to go deeper now, I can usually say that with all the things I bought the first few hours when the devices were running, whether they were amplifiers or headphones were better.
The man who modified the Cambridge also told me that I shouldn't pay attention to the first 20-30 hours because there is still something going on.
Even the Beresford Capella was audible, I let it go while I heard it and suddenly noticed how it opened up piece by piece.

to come back to Cambridge.
It is a Dac that I have to say that I am not missing anything. With Fostex I always had the feeling that it could not be a little stronger here and there. Even with the Hp A4 BL I came twice and sent it back both times.
This may be due to the modification that was made.
According to the description of the man who is based in Germany.
he just plays airier, more free and with more attack, and is also himself a hobby musician which is suitable.
It will definitely be a device for me that I will not give up. Even if there is something better it will be somewhere that it will not take any harm.
Anyone who would still be interested in the modification writes me a Pn and I give them the name price.
Just don't want to make it public.

Pulkass

I own this Cambridge Audio dac, 2010 model, now I note a high frequency, rather annoying whistle, what could it be, it seems to lower by moving around the dac, but never disappearing, higher if the pre amp volume is at ZERO !!!! Mistery, some caps gone?
cambridge audio dac magic.jpeg

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought one of these, 2nd hand, for my desktop setup for some 60£, I cant complain sounds great to me.

Top Bottom