• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That is pretty cool.

Interesting that Ol' Joe gave Big T a gee-tar -- but sold one to Page.

:cool:

CoastingOR

So many greats, so many genres, such a mix of entertaining, virtuoso playing and choice of tunes.

My list would include Carlos Montoya and Keith Richards. B.B.King and Prince. Mark Knopfler and Jerry Garcia. Chet Atkins and Doc Watson. Jimi Hendrix and Andres Segovia. I really like Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton. I think the first music record I bought was Josh White (Josh Daniel White) which I wore the grooves out of.

I was a fan big of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee back in olden times and Brownie was a great guitar player with a long career. So many, so varied--too many and too varied to do justice to.

mcreprog

My favorites have been listed, especially David Gilmour, SRV, Knopfler, Townshend (Drowned),Walter Becker, and by Rodrigo y Gabriela:

Reactions: eas

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No love for Les Paul?
Plenty. Not so much for just his playing (which was highly competent but not world class, IMO) but his entire innovative zeal which gave us many modern musical techniques. He was there first and it sounded truly different from anything else being done at that time. Use of vari-speed to create guitar sounds all the way from tinkly little bells to a synthesizer growl… multi-part harmonies and that wonderful tape-repeat echo (a sound that came to define an era).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Jimi vs. Eric...
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/aug/08/jimi-hendrix-40th-anniversary-death

"There was a particular night when Cream allowed Jimi to join them for a jam at the Regent Street Polytechnic in central London. Meeting Clapton had been among the enticements Chandler had used to lure Hendrix to Britain: “Hendrix blew into a version of [Howlin’ Wolf’s] ‘Killing Floor’,” recalls Garland, “and plays it at breakneck tempo, just like that – it stopped you in your tracks.” Altham recalls Chandler going backstage after Clapton left in the middle of the song “which he had yet to master himself”; Clapton was furiously puffing on a cigarette and telling Chas: “You never told me he was that fucking good.”

JuliaCoder

I saw Segovia at Masonic Auditorium in SF. His tone was so pure I vividly remember it. Perfect, probably unequaled, technique but it didn't move me.

Haven't seen mentions of Joe Pass, Gabor Sazbo, George Benson

alpha67

One and only - Guthrie Govan
Old time favorite - Rory Gallagher, as well as Zal Cleminson of Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is pretty cool.

Interesting that Ol' Joe gave Big T a gee-tar -- but sold one to Page.

:cool:

By all accounts JW insisted he buy it. I dont think JP regrets his arm being twisted .

rgpit

Forum Donor
Terry Kath, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow

Last edited:

Moonhead

Robert Johnson needs to be om the list, inspired the whole rock generation.

D. Boon - Minutemen
Bob Mould - Hüsker Dü
Johnny Marr - The Smiths

Mike Watt - Minutemen
Les Claypool - Primus
Jon Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
Robert Trujilo - Suicidal Tendencies

Pe8er

I like instrumentalists who sit between or defy genres:

Robert Fripp (King Crimson, but for me it’s the solo soundscapes albums that define his genius)

Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah, IMHO the most innovative metal guitarist today)

Les Claypool for his unique ability to flex and bend the instrument in impossible ways

Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine)

Frank Zappa (a couple relatively unknown bands but worth a listen nonetheless)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Erkan Oğur (Bülent Ortaçgil accompanying)

(Derya Türkan accompanying)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not here to rank, but I would just like to remind people that Prince performed this solo at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a “fuck you” to Rolling Stones for not putting him on the then recently published 100 Greatest Guitarists list (he is now on it):
I just watched the You Tube video of this solo for the first time not five minutes ago, and then came to ASR and saw this thread, noticing I wasn't seeing him mentioned. If I didn't see your post I would have added this video because he surely belonged with the best of them.

Top Bottom