• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was feeling good until I noticed the size. For my application (hang on a wall) they are too tall and too deep. Looking for something more in the 11" tall/8" deep range. Will be using subs so can give up a little bottom end. The search continues. Any (passive) suggestions?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...I got the itch and bought the Revel M16 for the living room. I wish I had waited for this review - WAF on these speakers is a lot higher. :facepalm:...

Ha ha can understand or say agree that itch thing in its good stuff Amir share, beside your look for WAF for these pair of ELAC imagine its the listening test impression that makes you wish waited, but think dont be sorry M16 on objective paper looks close and better and if you upstream set below 3 times PEQ plus maybe a high shelve mild boost @5,8kH/Q2,0 then tonality should be in same range as DBR-62.
2.gif

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

spacevector

Forum Donor
Thank you for another excellent review Amir. Your listening test has glowing praise for this speaker. Were you in a particularly good mood (before you sat down to listen) today?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for another excellent review Amir. Your listening test has glowing praise fir this speaker. Were you in a particularly good mood (before you sat down to listen) today?
Hard to be in particularly good mood these days. So no, I was not in such mood.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
A great test like this one with this result gives a ray of sunshine in our days in the current period.
everything is not so black !!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard these at Rocky Mountain with AJ as the “DJ”
I agree that I thought these had a very “big” sound and at first I thought they were active speakers until he mentioned they were being driven with the Elac small integrated amp that’s a BASH rated at 80W per at 4ohms.

Haven’t got a pair yet but tempted especially with this review.

Thanks @amirm

BYRTT

Forum Donor
R162 Harmon Spinorama does seem similar.. @BYRTT ..care to propose PEQs and shelf as you did above? :)...

Here we go minus directivity charts because those need hardcore spin data as Amir kindly share but i could trace the curves you linked for R162 and got below fair close results using 3 times PEQ and one high shelve, now cant stop say take care and try use in situation objective measurements as base in its really not a guarantee that anechoic curve works in another room and location but it was a very joyful reading it worked so good for Amir today.
3.gif

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope it was mentiononed some time ago, can someone point me to a list of Amirs' reference/test tracks in one list, if it is somewhere?
thx

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It hits 2% and mid frequency. I don't see issue if lows have higher distortion but in all range higher than 200hz should be lower than 1% and needs to be around 0.2% for high praise technically. I'm not saying it's very bad but not good enough just reading the measurements, also regardless of price.
I see the 300 Hz 2% HD peak less problematic than the 1% one at around 1,2 kHz as the first is at a frequency where distortion is not as audible and is mainly 2nd order, while the second is at psychoacoustically more problematic frequency and 3rd order.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
https://www.audioaffair.co.uk › elac...
Web results
Elac Debut Reference DBR62 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

£499.00.

Can't argue with that though I'd like some amps inside the box and a little DSP magic to perfect performance. Surly that would not push the bom up too much and offer even better value .

Btw has anyone ever thought of putting a bypass on a active speaker so it could be used as a passive?

I know it sounds bonkers but some audiophiles might like it

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Excellent read. How come the panther didn't hit the ace @amirm? :p

Top Bottom