• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
84026011_130425271820821_3369730340449182273_n.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Health Authorities from South Korea:
SEOUL, Feb. 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's public health authorities said Thursday they have not found a genetic mutation in the new coronavirus so far, suggesting that the possibility of developing medications, including vaccines, may be higher than what has been thought.

Genome sequencing of the virus from coronavirus patients here matched between 99.89 and 100 percent to the genetic sequencing of those obtained from patients in other 15 countries, the KCDC said.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200227008551320

Good news since the virus is not evolving.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Please don't take this as a political criticism (though I'm sure it will be) but can we have someone with clinical experience or at least significant disaster response experience at the top level of this? I just want to see medical professionals and no one else involved in this process... we already have seen what happens when the government knows better than than doctors.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just want to see medical professionals and no one else involved in this process...

Which process?

Medical Professionals (as I understand it) don't have the power to create funding, declare (and enforce?) widespread quarantines, restrict travel, reallocate production of necessary items, deny trade, etc, etc, etc.

So, it would seem somebody else should be involved, not that they shouldn't be taking the Med Pros findings and recommendations seriously.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Which process?

Medical Professionals (as I understand it) don't have the power to create funding, declare (and enforce?) widespread quarantines, restrict travel, reallocate production of necessary items, deny trade, etc, etc, etc.

So, it would seem somebody else should be involved, not that they shouldn't be taking the Med Pros findings and recommendations seriously.
And that's the problem... they have a history of not doing so. I'm not saying that someone with executive and/or legislative powers shouldn't be at the top... I'm just saying that someone with no clinical experience shouldn't be... there's several MD's working in Washington these days. Besides, just because you need assistance from a higher level doesn't mean they should be in charge necessarily. There's even more former MD's who used to work in DC and could be appointed as well.

Would you prefer a device from a company where the CEO, the VP of marketing, or the lead engineer was the one calling the shots on the design?

EDIT: A better analogy might be... would you expect the same product excellence from a company where the CEO was an engineer or one where they mostly had experience selling soft drinks or shoes prior to appointment to the top excecutive position?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Would you prefer a device from a company where the CEO, the VP of marketing, or the lead engineer was the one calling the shots on the design?

"The Design" isn't everything.

The CEO would be expected to see the bigger picture.

The VP of marketing would figure out how to sell the public on it, or maybe even if the public would be interested, in the case of a product.

The lead engineer would make his report and the suits would be responsible for acting on what the lead engineer had to say.

Left out is procurement, production, shipping and receiving, legal (any patents infringed?), and all the other evil but necessary tasks for which the lead engineer would likely have no taste, no experience, and no power, to organize.

We're talking 325 million customers, on this virus thing (US viewpoint), or even 7.8 billion if one point of control is really wanted.

I'd think that complicates any potential "Hey guys! Let's all do this, because I'm large and in charge!" solutions.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
EDIT: A better analogy might be... would you expect the same product excellence from a company where the CEO was an engineer or one where they mostly had experience selling soft drinks or shoes prior to appointment to the top excecutive position?

Everyone has different skillsets, aptitudes, abilities, and proclivities.

Even if I posessed remarkable engineering talents, I know I expect I would fail as CEO of a large organization, due to my personal experience of only being able to adequately manage myself, and not possessing the necessary skills to mange others.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
"The Design" isn't everything.
On this we agree 100% - it's just that a seriously flawed one can often not be salvaged by any amount of action after the fact.

The CEO would be expected to see the bigger picture.
The VP of marketing would figure out how to sell the public on it, or maybe even if the public would be interested, in the case of a product.
The lead engineer would make his report and the suits would be responsible for acting on what the lead engineer had to say.
We've had very, very different professional experiences I think (although I would love to work with those suits). Hopefully, you're correct on this and logic and reason wins out over egos... and actual damage control wins out over political damage control. I'm still gonna buy more food and ammo... just in case it doesn't. ;)

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anybody read the Dean Koontz novel, "The Eyes Of Darkness"?

Screenshot_20200227_124105_com.whatsapp.jpgScreenshot_20200227_124114_com.whatsapp.jpgScreenshot_20200227_124111_com.whatsapp.jpgScreenshot_20200227_124108_com.whatsapp.jpg

Published in the 80's.

Eerie similarities. :oops:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please don't take this as a political criticism (though I'm sure it will be) but can we have someone with clinical experience or at least significant disaster response experience at the top level of this? I just want to see medical professionals and no one else involved in this process... we already have seen what happens when the government knows better than than doctors.

we used to but they were fired

http://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/49/3/1.2

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Chinese health officials say that about 14% of people who had the coronavirus but recovered and were discharged from hospital have tested positive for the virus again.

Question: Is this
1) medical, diagnosis and discharge errors
2) a true reinfection
3) a dormancy and flareup cycle similar to a herpes virus perpetual life-cycle

#3 would be an issue

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Iran:
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani urges all citizens to avoid trave and gatherings in an effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus (twitter).

Japan:
Japanese prime minister orders the closure of ALL schools in the country for a month (dailymail.co.uk)

Australia:
PM initiates emergency response plan as Australia prepares for global pandemic (9news.com.au)(7 min video)

Israel:
In a dramatic statement Wednesday, Israel’s Health Ministry urged Israelis to seriously consider refraining from traveling abroad, as the country looked to isolate itself from the novel coronavirus outbreak rapidly spreading across the globe. “If you don’t genuinely have to fly — don’t do so,” the ministry said in a travel warning.(timesofisrael.com)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
US CDC:
CDC appears to have updated their criterion for testing. Now includes cases where "no source of exposure has been identified" and also travel histories from Iran, Italy, Japan, and South Korea (along with China). Site was updated today.
1582841217183.png

(cdc.gov)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom