• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

Unclevanya

The pre-assembled kits with the 250asx modules seem to be priced at about $999. You could buy 2 VocoPro VP-300 amps @ $330, run them in bridged mode for 300 watts @ 8 Ohms. Granted, you'd have 2 boxes/cases, but the price would be a little better price. In comparison, the NAD M22 v.2 runs $3,299, providing 300 watts per channel. Performance would be the same/similar.
What's inside those vocopro 300's?

mslim

Is a Karoake amp good enough for audiophile music listening ?

Pretty hard to look for pictures of the inside of the VocoPro on the net. Which version of the IcePower module?

hyperknot

It's a 125ASX2, there is only one version of the module. The Karaoke part is super bad, you need to remove it or just harvest the module and put it in a Ghent audio case.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a 125ASX2, there is only one version of the module. The Karaoke part is super bad, you need to remove it or just harvest the module and put it in a Ghent audio case.

Can one simply bypass the preamp and wire the unbalanced 1/4" TS jacks on the back to the input of the ICE module, or is the input sensitivity too low for that to be a viable option?

I found one used for $75 and the seller might even take less. Could be interesting.

There does appear to be some discrepancy between the published specs and what's displayed on the back of the amp. From the Vocopro site:

1582730313093.png

versus:

1582730412694.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Also, why does the Vocopro use a relatively huge toroidal transformer, if that module per spec can use either 115 or 230 VAC direct?

To drive the preamp? Isn't there a tap on the 125ASX2 that could have been used for that?

1582732026211.png

My apologies if the answer is obvious, I am a non EE engineer who only knows enough about circuits to get myself in trouble.

1582744913831.png

Last edited:

hyperknot

That must be a different Vocopro. The one with 125ASX2 is the Feature Amp 500. It's literally nothing but the module + a preamp + a fan.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The pre-assembled kits with the 250asx modules seem to be priced at about $999.

Here's a way to get 250asx in a box for half that (excluding shipping), with bonus features:

1) miniDSP PWR-ICE250, 405 USD:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice250

2) miniDSP PWR-ICE250 backbox, 95 USD:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/accessories/misc-accessories/pwr-ice-backbox-detail

Very minor assembly is required: 4 Philips screws for the backbox, snap preterminated speaker wire terminal into terminal block on amp module. Speaker wires are even already hooked up to the binding posts, so no need to crimp a ring terminal onto the other end.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
That must be a different Vocopro. The one with 125ASX2 is the Feature Amp 500. It's literally nothing but the module + a preamp + a fan.

Thanks for the clarification. The link previously posted for the Featheramp on Adorama redirects to the VP-300 Pro now, which had me confused, as well as a couple other members based on their posts above.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
WRONG theres no amp in these, just a box.

Click the first link, you see a plate amp, with no back or speaker terminals, that incorporates the amp module. Click the second link, you see the box into which you can place the plate amp to convert it to a standalone amp.

HemiRick

Click the first link, you see a plate amp, with no back or speaker terminals, that incorporates the amp module. Click the second link, you see the box into which you can place the plate amp to convert it to a standalone amp.

Ah sorry I obviously just clicked the 2nd link

Unclevanya

I'm a bit confused as I was told the Vocopro 300 was using the 125asx2 modules and the claimed power on the vocopro site lines up with it. I wonder if there is another issue. Perhaps a picture of the inside of the amp showing the 90w into 4 ohms could set this to rest? Is it current Vocopro stock?
If that is the current one - what does the discrepancy between the website and the silk screening mean?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused as I was told the Vocopro 300 was using the 125asx2 modules and the claimed power on the vocopro site lines up with it. I wonder if there is another issue. Perhaps a picture of the inside of the amp showing the 90w into 4 ohms could set this to rest? Is it current Vocopro stock?
If that is the current one - what does the discrepancy between the website and the silk screening mean?

The presence of that large toroidal transformer (not needed for ICEpower modules) along with the weight of the unit and the venting suggest it's not an ICEpower-based amp.

As far as the discrepancy goes...well, this IS a cut rate karaoke gear manufacturer we're dealing with, right?

Reactions: wje

hyperknot

For that money, I don't think it makes sense to buy this module. Especially not the DSP versions for 350-400 USD. I have this amp, but only because I could get it for $100, but even this way I'll be selling it in a few month, once I could upgrade to something better.

I believe anything from Hypex has much lower distortions. In Europe you can buy a fully made amplifier with chassis and binding posts and warranty for 369 EUR including VAT.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ower-amplifier-ncore-2x75w-8-ohm-p-12756.html

AndreaB

Forum Donor
For two years I have been using the 125ASX2 in BTL mode.
A very important thing to know is that BTL input impedance is very low! 10ohm or less. The phase splitter must be built well. If you connect directly without a splitter, the sound will be bad and the background noise will be noticeable.
B&O does not explain to the consumer how to use his ICE.
The instructions are in a document called DesignersManual and there are other important indications. The manual is very rare to find.
This an old photograph during construction

edit: It is very important to connect the APs as explained in the manual. See figure

Attachments

• IMG_20160721_110100.jpg
    IMG_20160721_110100.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,057
  • Cable SPK.png
    Cable SPK.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:

Giulios86

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum even if I've been reading for sometime and really appreciate the amazing info around here.

I recently built a 125asx2 based power amp with ghent audio case, but there is something going on that I don't understand and was wondering if you might be able to help.

Basically if I connect the ground of the case to the earth of the AC plug, my house circuit breaker is triggered.
If I don't do that, leaving the case as the only ground, the amp switches on and seems to work with no issues.

Have you any idea on the reason why this could happen? It suggests some kind of short to ground but I'm not an expert..
Moreover, if not easy to solve, is there any particular concern in just using it without connecting the earth?

Thanks for your help!
Giulio

Top Bottom