• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exporting Renewable Energy In Real Time

nm4711

I think that is a great idea.
In Europe there was a similar idea developed in the early 2000s. The idea was to build solar powerplants in the Sahara and export the electric power to Europe. I think one reason for it's failure was the unstable political situation in the northern African states. But there is no such problem in Australia.
Here is the link to the Wikipedia article. Pretty interesting idea in my opinion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think one reason for it's failure was the unstable political situation in the northern African states. But there is no such problem in Australia.
Deleted post. Unsuitable commentary :)

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is telling that exactly zero of the article's authors have any expertise in electricity or materials science.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is the resistance of a 3.8 M m cable?

why would a country with huge PV manf. capacity and very low labor costs, buy electricity elsewhere?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Overland, China already has a 3000 km line doing this. Uses 1.1 million volt DC.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywis...-grid-corp-crushes-power-transmission-records

So maybe it isn't bat shit crazy.
There's another major power line project in the works for power transmission from West Central Canada to the USA and if memory serves me correctly they where going to use DC transmission but the USA is AC and the systems need to match so AC is the plan. Those DC transformers and peripherals look mega kOOL :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"China’s primary grid operator has energized its biggest and most powerful line yet, a 1.1-million-volt direct current (DC) behemoth that crushes world records for voltage, distance and power.

The new ultra-high voltage DC (UHVDC) line built by Beijing-based State Grid Corporation of China can transmit up to 12 gigawatts."

Power = Voltage x Current

12,000,000,000W = 1,100,000V x 10,909 Amperes

Looks like six conductors in the video below, so 1,818 amps per cable...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think any touchy subject could be discussed provided the only pronouns permitted are "I", "my" and "me".

The problems start when posts that contain "you" and "they" and maybe "we" pop up.

(those lists are not exhaustive but I hope the idea is clear)

I try to keep that rule in mind in all my posts. Sometimes I have to go back and check them. I had to correct the line above.

Was (those lists are not exhaustive but I hope you get the idea)

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes because it seems as heated as discussing politics.

And audio?
uhmmmm - Copy.gif

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Holland as anywhere we have these clean energy discussion like CO2 emissions We could resolve this quite easy by building 4 nuclear plants. Yes i know all disadvantages regarding danger but they are way more save as in the past we don't have earthquaks we even could build them remotly in France and have a sort off 100 year lease construction. In France around 70% of it energy is produced nuclear. In Holland There is even not a serieus discussion. 54% of the Dutch are pro nuclear energy only 35% is against. Dutch serve unfortunately in Dutch.

https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/pane...n-tegenstanders-van-kernenergie-in-nederland/

Last edited:

nm4711

There's another major power line project in the works for power transmission from West Central Canada to the USA and if memory serves me correctly they where going to use DC transmission but the USA is AC and the systems need to match so AC is the plan. Those DC transformers and peripherals look mega kOOL :)
As long as the distance is not too big and you can build overland it is probably cheaper to use AC, since you don't need those big converters. But at a certain distance the losses with AC get too high and DC is the way to go.

Top Bottom