• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I downgrade my D50s to a Modi 3?

Elis08

So I just bought a D50s a few months ago, but realized I didn't need all the extra features. I can still sell this for a good price and have some extra money if I just buy the Modi 3.

I was wondering if anyone who owned both or still owns both, is the difference in sound quality noticeable? If not, I'll just take the Modi 3 then.

My amp is a SMSL SP200 and my headphones are the HD600, HD650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2, and Focal Elex. I was also thinking of just downgrading to a Heresy + Modi 3 stack.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Relax and don't bother.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Topping D50 comes with dual DAC chips, the Modi only has one DAC chip, so keep the D50.
I've listened to the Modi DAC and it's nice, but like the idea of having something with dual DAC chip :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you need to free some funds you could 'downgrade' otherwise I would not bother.

GeorgeWalk

I had the Modi and sold it on eBay to get the D50s. I like the extra features: Bluetooth, selectable filters, OLED display. I never compared them, sound wise, side by side, but I think it is more transparent than the Modi. I remember hearing some low audible hiss from the Modi in my headphones when there wasn't any source playing. No way would I ever go back to a Modi. I like some of the Schitt products; I have a Loki equalizer that I use for my headphones. But I think the D50s is just a better executed product.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious, do you hear an audible difference? What's your setup?
Currently use the Topping DX7s, use to use the Audio-GD NFB-11.28, not sure if it was an improvement, but want to try a balanced headphone jack.

Top Bottom