• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

Casey Leedom

Thanks @amirm, yes, I was talking about the Analog XLR Input and basically wondering how good a “Pre-Amplifier” the RMC-1 would operate as. In my case I have very limited space and can’t have separate Stereo and Home Theater set ups. This, the badly measuring AVP problem is very depressing to me. So I was trying to understand if I put, say, a Topping D90 on the RMC-1’s XLR Analog Input whether that’s might be a way to Split the Baby ...

By the way, didn’t we have a DAC that you or maybe @WolfX-700 reviewed in the last 6-8 months where some of the Digital inputs was messed up but others weren’t? You used the AES, I wonder if the USB is also troubled. Hhmmm, but I think the problem with that DAC was a Jitter issue and not an overall Frequency Response issue ...

Casey

Koeitje

Major Contributor
@Lonnie
From this quote from the Emotiva lounge it appears you are implying that @amirm is not adhering to industry standards.

"With all due respect, measurements are only consistant if run under the same conditions. Change any of the external variables and the end results change. That is why there are industry standard test with defined procedures."

If I have misunderstood, or have taken you out of context, I apologize. However, if that is what you are saying, can you explain?

Thanks
Well for power amplifier measurements he measures at 5W because that makes more sense, but its not an industry standard.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Honestly I am not a bit surprised. I can't wait for more over-rated shit to get unmasked here. So happy to be here.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well for power amplifier measurements he measures at 5W because that makes more sense, but its not an industry standard.
But I think he was referring the the RMC-1 review. I am a novice in these kinds of things, but it seems that @amirm 's measurements are very much industry standard. I was hoping Emotiva would comment here on these measurements.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They need to fess up to this , admit to the likely cause ( rush to market , development budget issues ) and put it right .

Come back with a class leading product and turn it into a win much in the way Schiit audio have done.

Well at least that's the smart play imo but what would I know I'm just a bear.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I disagree with this. In face I feel blue is the worst choice for a dark theatre. Blue light doesn’t hit clearly at the back of the retina and so I always slightly out of focus. This makes it both hard to read and distracting.
So what color should it be? IMHO it should be amber/blue with the option to completely turn it off.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Lol. I just couldn’t handle it if results were anything like this POS from Emo. Yes, I’m a useless cowardly Pandora subscribing slime ball o_O
I sort of went through the same thinking before sending in my MRX 520. In the end, the more data we have the better we are off. If it's a matter of funds, I'll help with some shipping cost.

SOWK

Thanks. Addressing the first comment on that page:
View attachment 51692

The signal is digital in nature as it is fed to AES input of the RMC-1. It is generated by the Audio Precision analyzer and NOT my computer. It would not be an issue for the PC to send it the same signal though as long as you bypass the Windows audio stack. I have done this countless times and results are identical. As it should be for digital data.

That same signal when fed to a quality DAC produces performance that if far, far better than RMC-1. So no matter which way you look at it, the signal or the setup is not an issue.

@amirm

Well... it could be setup still.... Just because the RMC-1 says it is in Stereo or Direct, doesn't mean it actually is.

That's how incompetent their software team is.

I posted how to get around these issues on page 4.

Example.. when I go from multi channel material to 2 channel material and I personally select Stereo mode. I see the unit say it is in Stereo mode, but yet the sytem is stuck in a weird all stereo mode playing from all channels or stuck in some strange Dolby Surround mode. Until I do a full power cycle using the toggle switch on the back or unplugging the power cable.

But I'm a little concerned you could not get HDMI working on the unit... I run a HTPC and that’s the only way I connect to the Emotiva. That is more proof the unit was not reacting appropriately

Last edited:

timg

2 down. Now we definitely need AV40 and SDP-55 results. I’m actually a bit amazed how bad even high end processors are measuring. I had hoped to see SNR >100 on the RMC-1, but it’s not even close.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I disagree with this. In face I feel blue is the worst choice for a dark theatre. Blue light doesn’t hit clearly at the back of the retina and so I always slightly out of focus. This makes it both hard to read and distracting.
That may well be the case but, technically speaking, a blue LED looks cool.

From the Mackie SRV450 manual

When the POWER switch is turned on, and the linecord is connected to an active AC Mains supply, this indicator, located just above the POWER switch, glows to let you know that you’re ready to rock and roll. The cool blue LED on the front of the speaker works in the same way.

OverTheAir

Most of this is all on Emotiva. But not being able to get HDMI working might be a Amir issue. Who knows.

I have HDMI working from a HTPC just fine from 2.0 44.1khz 16bit up to 7.1 192khz 24bit on mine.
Agree that it would be useful to get to the bottom of why Amir cannot get HDMI working with AVRs, since that was also an issue for the HTP-1 review too.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I posted a couple of follow-ups. Already got a couple of messages basically saying to STFU since I am not an owner (and probably never will be). But I couldn't let some of the assertions go without some challenges. One guy said the PC generates the signal? Really? If you're going to act authorative, it would be nice to have at least some idea how the AP works...

And I would fully expect HDMI performance to be worse, and and best no better than, the performance using the regular digital inputs. HDMI tends to add, not subtract, noise. It is a video standard with a slap at audio IMO.

Delacroix

Agree that it would be useful to get to the bottom of why Amir cannot get HDMI working with AVRs, since that was also an issue for the HTP-1 review too.
I believe there has been a couple of reviews that Amir has been having issues with HDMI?, I'm no way expert on audio, but had my share of issues with Video Cards and HDMI; if one unit is giving a lot of problems I would test with another Laptop, PC and different GPU Vendors on separate machines just in case. I have seen problems no matter the GPU on the same workstations would still give issues due to some driver or another component on the same box giving issues (even when it doesn't make sense).
Just my humble opinion.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Emotiva conceive, design, market and sell a product they openly admit to not having the in house expertise to deliver.

Mind you audio companies delivering products with dodgy software is not that unusual. Even the fabled Dutch&Dutch 8c has as long history of bad firmware and endless missed deadlines for promised features ( as I understand it). Devialet is another audio company with high technology ambition and some questionable integrated software.

If your planning on offering a device that needs firmware, get some software people onboard. Don't treat it as a aside.

Saying all that Emotiva seems to of messed up the bit they are ment to be good at too.

Oh my.

There is a general problem in the industry outside of core software companies. Companies like Google, Microsoft, FB and smaller companies that provide software (services) as their core product attract talent from top universities and good industry hires. I work at one such company. Given my interest in finance, I have interviewed with financial firms who have a software division (these days they are big on AI). I was appalled at the type of questions they were asking and the background they expected - they had a long checklist of technologies and unless you have specific experience in those, you are screened out. I am guessing the audio industry might be following a similar pattern. Top software companies don't hire this way - we look for software skills, problem solving and the ability to adapt. We don't care if you have 10 years writing SQL queries (that would actually be a bad sign).

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sort of went through the same thinking before sending in my MRX 520. In the end, the more data we have the better we are off. If it's a matter of funds, I'll help with some shipping cost.
Me too... after all I sent in the NAD T758 V3.. I chuckle to myself every time Amir uses it as a reference for a bad performing product.

ck42

Forum Donor
So it seems the general rebuttal at the moment is basically...'great, he has an admitted super-duper piece of testing equipment, but that doesn't mean he knows how to use it'. -Weak. You really want that to be your defense?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So it seems the general rebuttal at the moment is basically...'great, he has an admitted super-duper piece of testing equipment, but that doesn't mean he knows how to use it'. -Weak. You really want that to be your defense?
Same old same old , you hope for better but...

Next you'll tell me Amir ain't no King, and there is no Santa Claus. :)
I forgive him , the nuances of the monarchy and English class system can be hard to grasp for some yanks.

SOWK

Not sure why some think everything was perfect with setup when he was unable to get HDMI working.

That does not strike me as being a perfect setup.

Just playing devil's advocate.

But funny comment from the Emotiva Thread....

From KeithL:

Technical Guru at Emotiva

"I would point out that you are indeed correct... the AP x555 is a piece of state of the art measurement gear.
However, as with racing cars, you need a great piece of gear and a great driver to win the race."

WOW... Like they should be talking.... that is a very very hypocritical viewpoint!

Last edited:

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I forgive him , the nuances of the monarchy and English class system can be hard to grasp for some yanks.
I will have you know I belong to now-free people, once a subject of Queen Victoria. I am rather well versed in the ways of the British and you ain't no sir...

Top Bottom