• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

dieselmilk

Yesterday my remote controller stoped working...
This question isn't assuming you're dumb but did you try hitting the C button again to match the remote and DAC up? This happened to me once and I just had to pair them again.

aurum

In case you have a Harmony universal remote, you'll find the codes for this DAC/ Amp there.

jani80k

You can reach up to 192kbit 24 bits with Tidal MQA. Just select "Exclusive Mode" and "Passthrough MQA". Tidal will then disable volume control and prevent all other programs / apps from using the DAC. This will give you the best sound possible.

dieselmilk

I've never tried this before as I've always used a sub-out XLR from my previous preamp, but would it be crazy to run RCA out to my power amp and then both XLR out to my L-R XLR sub inputs? Since there is only line-out and HP-out options on the M500, I assume XLR and RCA are operated at the same time. I'm currently running the M500 into my original preamp solely for the purpose of using my sub. I did try HT bypass on my original preamp but realized that because there is no sub out from the M500 to my preamp, there is no sub signal to passthrough to my sub.

Has anyone tried this or could recommend it? Something tells me it's inherently a bad idea but I can't convince myself why.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
Try it and see?
I can only confirm that in "Line Out" mode both XLR and RCA are driven at the same time and you could feed inputs on two separate devices with them.

dieselmilk

Try it and see?
I can only confirm that in "Line Out" mode both XLR and RCA are driven at the same time and you could feed inputs on two separate devices with them.
I'm always afraid to risk my expensive stuff without knowing what will happen first because I can't afford to replace them anytime soon. I don't think anything will happen but that's not enough to convince me to try if I don't have more information, lol.

Remior

Hi all! Another one here with the SMSL M500... and very happy with it...

Anyone knows all the functions on the remote control?

Anyone undestarnd what means the filter options? Fast Linear... Slow Linear.. etc?

jysHgSv.jpg

Last edited:

dieselmilk

Hi all! Another one here with the SMSL M500... and very happy with it...

Anyone knows all the functions on the remote control?

Anyone undestarnd what means the filter options? fasta Linear... Slow Linear.. etc?

jysHgSv.jpg
Make sure to update your firmware to 1.08 from SMSL website immediately. Also, I believe the button functions are in the crappy little pamphlet inside the box.

2020 best dac/amp for hd 599 max 220$
hey to all , i was looking for something new and find this amps : topping dx3 pro / ifi nano black / fiio k5 pro but all have some problems
what is your opinion??. Is this even better than the three I mentioned?

Veri

Master Contributor
2020 best dac/amp for hd 599 max 220$
hey to all , i was looking for something new and find this amps : topping dx3 pro / ifi nano black / fiio k5 pro but all have some problems
what is your opinion??. Is this even better than the three I mentioned?
This is arguably the best performer. It's also the most expensive. Keep in mind diminishing returns as you go up the price bracket though...

someone here know what is the best desktop dac/amp right now ????????(must have 6.3mm jack output)
whats brand are best ?

dieselmilk

Can I plug the USB input of this DAC on my IPhone running Tidal? Thanks.
Yes but you need lightning to usb adapter. Apple will happily sell you one for an assload of money.

Reactions: wje

jani80k

Make sure to update your firmware to 1.08 from SMSL website immediately. Also, I believe the button functions are in the crappy little pamphlet inside the box.
I updated to 1.08 twice but my date is still showing 2019-10-09 with HW 1.2 and SW 1.5. What am I doing wrong? What should it say?

Top Bottom