• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would actually to stock up on Vitamin D and ideally get your levels tested.

These outbreaks (flu, SARS, corona virus) all seem to occur in winter where most area don't get the proper wavelength of UV needed to make Vitamin D due to sun angle.

Actually, it has more to do with temperature. Viruses have a protective shell that allows them to exist outside of the body. Eventually it turns to liquid and the virus breaks down. In warmer temperatures, that happens faster. This is the main reason why the flu and cold season is the cooler months.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Published by The Atlantic today You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Basically, the article predicts Covid-19 is coming, containments not going to be possible. Vaccine production in 12 to 18 months is overly optimistic.

Yikes - 40 to 70% of worldwide population ultimately infected? I get that many cases will be relatively mild and some will even be asymptomatic, but still, that's terrifying.

Lao Lu

Hubei Province changed how they're classifying the new cases, which added over 14k new cases in one day.

As of 3 hours ago, Hubei Province officially said:

View attachment 49995

Google translated this as:

If anyone can read Chinese (not sure if its posted in Cantonese or Mandarin), can you verify that the translation is correct?
This is modern (simplified characters) written Chinese. While it was originally based on the dialect of Beijing it is the national standard that can be understood by all educated people living in Mainland China. Older Hong Kong residents would have problems with some of the simplified characters but could understand the majority of it. Google translate in regards to passages about science and medicine is accurate. It fails for highly idiomatic topics such as the je ne sais quoi of tube vs, solid state amplification, the essence of expensive teas, liquor, and food.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Reuters:
China’s top legislature said it will immediately ban the trade and consumption of wild animals, in a fast-track decision it says will allow the country to win the battle against the coronavirus outbreak.

The announcement, made late on Monday according to the official Xinhua News Agency, comes after an initial suspension of the trade and consumption of wildlife in January.

The decision, made by the National People’s Congress, stipulates the illegal consumption and trade of wildlife will be “severely punished” as will be hunting, trading or transporting wild animals for the purpose of consumption.

Prior to the announcement, traders legally selling donkey, dog, deer, crocodile and other meat told Reuters they planned to get back to business as soon as the markets reopen.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that decision.

Putter

Forum Donor
Actually, it has more to do with temperature. Viruses have a protective shell that allows them to exist outside of the body. Eventually it turns to liquid and the virus breaks down. In warmer temperatures, that happens faster. This is the main reason why the flu and cold season is the cooler months.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't eliminate the possibility that low Vitamin D levels in the late winter months increase the susceptibility to viruses.

Lao Lu

Pretty much, simply put, they now also consider those exhibit syptoms clinically as confirmed case, no need to wait for test results.

Fyi, Chinese is the written language. Cantonese and Mandarin are the dialects :)
Yes, but to express themselves more idiomatically there are a number of characters that are only used for Cantonese. Even my wife's dialect ( a Mandarin variant of the noble Sichuan mountain-top distillers of Firewater) has expressions that have no written equivalent.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info. It doesn't eliminate the possibility that low Vitamin D levels in the late winter months increase the susceptibility to viruses.

I don't know. I haven't read that. Is that what medical science is saying?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Can't disprove it so it must be true!

Benefits of Vitamin D Supplementation:
2009 - Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons — 8 pages — Joel M. Kauffman, Ph.D.
This very recent summary report (Summer of 2009) perfectly sums up the case for raising and maintaining higher serum levels of Vitamin D.

From paper:
Number of tested subjects: 208 women studied over 2 years.
1582611082957.png

Chart: Incidence of Reported Cold/Influenza Symptoms According to Season

Legend:
Black Bar => Placebo
Grey Bar => 800 IU/d vitamin D
White bar => 2,000 IU/d vitamin D.

Note: For the high-dose group, some of the white bars in the figure appear to be missing, but that is because the number of sick subjects was zero.

It's certainly true that...
Higher levels of vitamin D are strongly associated with fewer symptoms of colds or influenza.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I researched vitamin D intake because I live in a northern climate, we have long winters and I mostly stay indoors. It is easy to intake enough to store in the liver I think it is and it is also easy to overdose. Large dosage is not required and for most Caucasians 20 minutes in the direct overhead sunlight is enough to store lots of vitamin D. Over the period of summer a Caucasian should be able to store enough for the winter. For dark skinned people they need to supplement their intake with vitamin D.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I researched vitamin D intake because I live in a northern climate, we have long winters and I mostly stay indoors. It is easy to intake enough to store in the liver I think it is and it is also easy to overdose. Large dosage is not required and for most Caucasians 20 minutes in the direct overhead sunlight is enough to store lots of vitamin D. Over the period of summer a Caucasian should be able to store enough for the winter. For dark skinned people they need to supplement their intake with vitamin D.

Or get it from diet.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's good to know. I live in Michigan. But I happen to be in San Antonio for this weekend. My face got pink from sitting in a park during midday on Friday. Guess I'm probably set on Vitamin D until summer :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2009 - Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons — 8 pages — Joel M. Kauffman, Ph.D.
This very recent summary report (Summer of 2009) perfectly sums up the case for raising and maintaining higher serum levels of Vitamin D.

From paper:
View attachment 51633

Legend:
Black Bar => Placebo

Note: For the high-dose group, some of the white bars in the figure appear to be missing, but that is because the number of sick subjects was zero.

FYI.. I have been taking 4000 IU vitamin D3 (oil based capsules) for quite a few years now.
It is known that older folks should take D3 anyway.
I use it to get through the winter fatigue and really helps.
The first year I took this I did not have the flu (rest of the family did) but the following years I still caught the flu. This year as well.
Consider that I take 2x the 2.000 IU dose.
Since 2 years the 4.000 IU is not sold over the counter anymore as it is seen as medication.
The solution is to take 2x 2000IU or the 3000 IU.

Highly skeptical it will prevent Covid but will improve winter fatigue.

Lao Lu

Agreed, its probably the only way to effectively stem propagation of such a disease that has no effective direct treatment/cure.

Epidemics / Pandemics are inevitable in a densely populated environment, anywhere. Its not a matter of "ÏF" , its really just where and when.

From another perspective, the world should be glad that something like this actually is in China rather than in any other well connected city in the world, like what happened during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

I highly doubt if there's any other country's government that has the overarching authority and resources at hand to pull off all the things they have put in place to fight this contagion to date.

Let's hope for a quick stabilization of the situation over the next 2~3 weeks so that the virus can die out sooner.
I have been living in Beijing since 2003 (a few months after SARS) and your comment is spot on.

Wombat

Master Contributor

From paper:
View attachment 51633

Legend:
Black Bar => Placebo

Not so sure: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121423/ - a big serious read.

There is some opinion that many benefits attributed to vitamin d supplements may apply only in individuals who have a deficiency from normal levels, if at all.

A good overview of benefits of adequate 'vitamin' D: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618#benefits

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1582612660315.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom