• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurable aspects of sound perception

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I TOTALLY understand!

OTOH I have twice been at careful DB wine tastings (the participants included buyers for top importers) where two of six or so wines were the two halves of a magnum and the rankings were all over the place. I at least had them next to each other.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
OTOH I have twice been at careful DB wine tastings (the participants included buyers for top importers) where two of six or so wines were the two halves of a magnum and the rankings were all over the place. I at least had them next to each other.

Taste/smell is an interesting problem, because various taste sensors are MUCH slower to "clear" than the auditory system (unless you overload it, don't do that!!!!), so order effects can be quite perverse and difficult to deal with.

Wombat

Master Contributor
What i meant with usable is the fact when i used Room correction (software) suddenly it looks like a curtain was pulled away an the music became way more transparent. Ok this is probable obvious an was aspect-ed because of my poor acoustics an the room correction flatten out most acoustic anomalies. But then i moved the speakers like 10 a 15 cm away from a wall or table and again i heard a clear change/details (for the better or the worse) an not because i was annalising or expecting it but because I knew the music by hart an love to hear it an noticed the difference. So I was eager to find the best spot not by annalising but pure because of the knowledge of the music I knew so well.

"I'm not sure what the author means about "trying to be objective"

Knowing Richard Vandersteen from previous interviews i think he meant the difference between the left an right side of the brain one is emotional the other one analytic. If you try to be analytical (objective) it could block your emotional side (which implies by him a realaxd state of mind where you could hear more or different) that is probably his assumption. So I don't know if that is an scientifically approach or not. :facepalm:

Ha ha with golf it work for me the other way around if i use my emotional side the ball will go into the ruff if i use my analytical side (a matter of visualization) it blocks my emotional side an the ball go's mostly straight a golf lesson that i learned from a pro 40 years ago who also advised me to read the "Inner Game Of Golf" by Gallwey. My Handicap went down from 23 to 14. Could work for listening to decent gear to but than the other way around.o_O

FWIW: Current thinking is about 'top brain' and 'bottom brain' processes rather than 'left brain' and 'right brain' processes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...rain-creates-personality-a-new-theory/281287/

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The number of fallacies in those two sentences is truly boggling. Swapping inputs in your setup (you do have a selector switch) on your pre-amp shouldn't hurt anything. The fact you do not like blind testing simply rejects tested, established science about auditory perception, and that statement is not merely my "perception" it is an established part of human knowledge, so don't even go there.
A blind test can be as long as you want.
You don't have to actually close your eyes, to take a "blind test", and the literature on this, should you ever have informed yourself, would make you aware of the fact you've claimed 3 nonsensical things, along with your contempt for actual human knowledge.

he also thinks that a blind test means your eyes are covered up!!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

so was the top half better than the bottom half??

Unclevanya

Such tests are dangerous given production uncertainties and level control. They aren't impossible, but it is very easy to allow something to slip through.
I agree. I would like to see more rigorous and varried testing (more selections of music, wider test pools, etc. )

Reactions: j_j

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
so was the top half better than the bottom half??

OT, but there was more to the story. One of the two people with the largest disparity suggested that since the wines were upright for several days some stratification occurred. :facepalm: We didn't record whether the goodness floated or sunk.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
OT, but there was more to the story. One of the two people with the largest disparity suggested that since the wines were upright for several days some stratification occurred. :facepalm: We didn't record whether the goodness floated or sunk.

I doubt the stratification thing, but order effects will be different for people with different smell genes. Some are much more persistent than others. This is one of the joys of wine tasting. Another is that what is good for one might be frightening to another.

PeterZui

Taste/smell is an interesting problem, because various taste sensors are MUCH slower to "clear" than the auditory system (unless you overload it, don't do that!!!!), so order effects can be quite perverse and difficult to deal with.

Hi j_j, Interesting statement you do here.
Is there a scientific proof on this and were the guinea pigs just average tasters and listeners or experienced and trained ?
I like to taste and listen but have a different experience on this.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Is there a scientific proof on this and were the guinea pigs just average tasters and listeners or experienced and trained ?
Thread ban issued .

At this point I think your just trolling @j_j .

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Just to answer the troll, yes, there are 1000's of papers talking about smell and taste time factors.
Flavor chemistry is not my thing, but I've read some.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just to answer the troll, yes, there are 1000's of papers talking about smell and taste time factors.
Flavor chemistry is not my thing, but I've read some.

I hope you've read Ann Noble, Amerine and Roessler, and Peynaud... It was my thing professionally for some years, and it's fun to see where it intersects with sensory research in audio.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I hope you've read Ann Noble, Amerine and Roessler, and Peynaud... It was my thing professionally for some years, and it's fun to see where it intersects with sensory research in audio.

I'm not sure, I've read a fair amount about perception, and about wine evaluation, and you can tell that perception and DBT's matter from just watching "Bottle Shock" if you already know something about the field. :)

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Are these some of the folks that think Chateau d'Yquem is a flawed wine because you can detect VA.?

Top Bottom