• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I trust the experts who compared the sound of the D50 and D50s. Objective tests are required after the upgrade.

Do you mind if I ask which experts are you citing, and how will you be testing it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Many thanks! I have a D50, I want to upgrade to remove the "hump ESS". In the D50s it is not.

You want to modify the D50 output stage (with IMD hump) to the same one as the D50s (with no IMD hump) ?

The 10 Ohm resistors are in the power supply path. Changing opamps (not needed) may require different values depending on the idle current of the opamps and minimum operational voltage.

Measure the DC voltage across the resistor with the old opamp and with the replacement opamp or calculate by means of datasheets.

UAN

List of electronic color code mnemonics

If you’re an EE, did you learn a different way?

In the photo, by the stripes, it is difficult to determine the value of the resistor R24. Maybe you have a lot of experience, help. Of course, better with a multimeter.

Reddy

And, these comparisons are also done with no listening controls or measurements...?

I only checked the power rails with my scope, everything else is subjective.
The soundstage is more open with better separation, more micro details, more organic and yes, all this is subjective

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I only checked the power rails with my scope, everything else is subjective.
The soundstage is more open with better separation, more micro details, more organic and yes, all this is subjective

What do you believe accounts for that? Are these results you would expect to show up in measurements?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In the photo, by the stripes, it is difficult to determine the value of the resistor R24. Maybe you have a lot of experience, help. Of course, better with a multimeter.

A multimeter does not need to cost more than 10 Euro. If R24 is indeed in the feedback loop (quite possible) then you can measure it in circuit (power off). Maybe in Ukr they are more difficult to get.

Reddy

What do you believe accounts for that? Are these results you would expect to show up in measurements?

Unfortounatly i don‘t have an audio analyser for verification. Hard to say if it would show up in the measurements. What i can tell is that the power rails are very quiet now.

UAN

A multimeter does not need to cost more than 10 Euro. If R24 is indeed in the feedback loop (quite possible) then you can measure it in circuit (power off). Maybe in Ukr they are more difficult to get.

I repeat, I have a D50, but I need a D50s circuit. There is only a photo of the board.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes I understood. You need to either have the actual schematics or reverse engineer from PCB pictures (takes top and bottom side of the PCB's)
The difficult part is not the resistors, the SMD capacitors either need to be unsoldered and measured or schematics need to be available.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I was just giving you a hard time.

Good luck on your venture.

sotiridaf

USB compared to Coaxial has low performance in SQ. You have to invest to USB to Coaxial to get better performance from D50s.

So for me , this dac is NOT recommended for USB as input.

Top Bottom