• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Milesian

Last edited:

Nicolaas

Just curious, are there any authorized dealers shipping the D90 currently? Or is production and distribution shut down for the interim?
I got mine from Aoshida shop this week but maybe I ordered just in time in January. Just ask Aoshida shop, they are very responsive. Maybe you can still get the 10% discount!

Nicolaas

Just listening to some older albums: Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop. All those nitty gritty little details! And that little baby in "Dat Dere": crystal clear.
And now Lou Reed - Take no prisoners, a binaural recording so (electrostatic) headphones are mandatory. Close your eyes and you are in the audience. I want more binaural live recordings...
Definitely a high-end dac this D90. Nothing more to wish for.

Marutks

my d90 with ECP T4 amp d90-vc.jpg

d90-vc.jpg

SnowRang3r

It seems to me that almost everyone here use headphones instead of speakers. Is this true? And if so, why?
Just wondering.
I'm sure there's a mix of both on here, but for me at least it's a lot cheaper to get a very good measuring 1w headphone amp than it is a good measuring 200-300w speaker amp. Along with speakers you're always worried about positioning, room acoustics/treatment.

I still use speakers but I'm willing to invest a lot more in my headphone / desk setup as I feel I get more bang/$

Don't get me wrong I'd love a properly acoustic treated room dedicated to music but not in the cards (yet).

Nicolaas

It seems to me that almost everyone here use headphones instead of speakers. Is this true? And if so, why?
Just wondering.
My wife wants to watch TV and I want to listen to and discover new music all the time. And unfortunately I do not have a man cave .
At daytime though I enjoy listening to my very low budget Wharfdales 10.1 standmount speakers via my budget Marantz PM 8006 (Eur 800)...
At night time I of course do not want to annoy my neighbours with loud music!

Veri

Master Contributor
Just wondering.
-Speakers quickly cost so much $$$
-Headphones don't bother housemates/neighbours especially when living in an apartment

Looks great~ any impressions? Does that amp have an audible noise floor? and what model ZMF headphones are those, exactly?
Any reason why you went tubed T4 over solid-state T3? ;)

Marutks

Those are Closed Verite monkeypod headphones. T4 amp doesn't have audible noise floor. I prefer the T4 over my solid state amps ( THX 887 , Burson C3X , DX7Pro ). I bought it because I wanted to try tubes and it worked out very well.

ECP Torpedo III amplifier has tubes as well. There was a solid state amp from ECP (DSHA-F?) but they no longer produce them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Those are Closed Verite monkeypod headphones. T4 amp doesn't have audible noise floor. I prefer the T4 over my solid state amps ( THX 887 , Burson C3X , DX7Pro ). I bought it because I wanted to try tubes and it worked out very well.

ECP Torpedo III amplifier has tubes as well. There was a solid state amp from ECP (DSHA-F?) but they no longer produce them.
Aha, I had not realised the DSHA-3F is already out of production..

Cut-Throat

-Speakers quickly cost so much $$$
-Headphones don't bother housemates/neighbours especially when living in an apartment

Maybe most people on this forum live in N.Y.City? -- I frequent many audio forums, but the headphone use here is amazing!

Veri

Master Contributor
Maybe most people on this forum live in N.Y.City? -- I frequent many audio forums, but the headphone use here is amazing!
"head"-fi is also really booming as of late, from what I see :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most are Europeans, there is a poll thread.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure there's a mix of both on here, but for me at least it's a lot cheaper to get a very good measuring 1w headphone amp than it is a good measuring 200-300w speaker amp. Along with speakers you're always worried about positioning, room acoustics/treatment.

I still use speakers but I'm willing to invest a lot more in my headphone / desk setup as I feel I get more bang/$

Don't get me wrong I'd love a properly acoustic treated room dedicated to music but not in the cards (yet).

I find that active near field speakers (only for near field listening purposes) provide more bang/$ as I can't justify spending 10x or more of my speaker setup for a headphone setup that can just match the sonic performance of my HS7 speakers subjectively

GeorgeWalk

I have both headphones and speakers. Depending on what I am doing and how I feel, I listen to one or the other. I am from the East Coast.

Cut-Throat

I’m not so sure. I suspect many of the Asian sites are in a holding pattern right now, able to take orders but not fulfill. I recently cancelled one which after hearing shipping would not resume until the end of March. I was interested to hear if anyone has been given a firm shipping date. I’ll drop Apos them a line see what they say.

I just heard back from Apos and here is what they said:

"This is CJ from the Support team @ Apos Audio. Thanks for writing in.

We do have the TOPPING D90 readily available in the warehouse (although the quantity for black is quickly depleting). And we fulfill our orders within one business day.

In the meantime, feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,
CJ"

Puska

Hifi go from HK they ship DHL. In stocks black will arrive in 5 days.

eXlero

for those of you interested in the D90 with MQA, it seems that it will be delayed ~ a month.

1582613713887.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom