• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer pair choice

Bhh

Forum Donor
That was a typo. I meant the L12, not L15. Yea, they are really close but the Sb2000 pro which Is what I was/am leaning towards is 1.5” deeper. The Sb3000 is about 2.5” deeper. It’s not a huge difference but it means it will stick out past our cradenza 1.5” whereas the L12 will be perfectly flush. My wife is an architect and super OCD about these things ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I would sell the LS50 for about 500 usd and upgrade to a KEF R5 (2,000 usd) and skip the subwoofers (typical in-room bass response (-6dB): 29 Hz).

KEF R5
KEF R5.PNG

Attachments

• rseries2018-white-paper.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

snapsc

I read your link and I totally agree that if you are going to cross high, then you better have two subs. I run my Salk Veracity ST towers full range (they are -3db @ 34hz) and with their transmission lines have deep, strong and toneful bass. And then I blend the one sub in at around 45 hz...and since I have a good room and good mains, the blend is easily and the sub is impossible to localize. The reason for the sub is to provide the extra oomph in a big room.

I owned the LS50s for a short time and blending with one sub was tricky...and I didn't really like the sound of the sub up in the 100+hz level.

The suggestion to upgrade to the R5s is a good one...but you will not have the deep/powerful bass that a sub/s can give

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The R5 should resolve better too. IMO it is more important than <30Hz, but to each his own priorities.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The topic is subs to reinforce bass with LS50 speakers. Anyone who wants to start yet another thread about floor standing speakers for $3k or whatever is welcome to do so. I am quite certain the R5's would benefit from having subs. They don't go tremendously low and would not be able to take enough EQ to give a Harman curve.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had Rythmik and SVS subwoofers, both can do the job with some eq/dsp and measurement/positioning. Anecdotedly, I found the Rythmik much easier to integrate with previous electrostatic speakers. Once dialled in, I doubt I could pick a difference.

After spending some time learning about "value" in audio I have built my own sub using an 18inch Dayton driver and hypex plate amp.
I also still have a 10+yo Seaton submersive for HT duties, i think i have sentimental attachment to it.

Looking at the "science" of bass I would probably build a distributed bass array if starting from scratch again.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While this has been going on, my interest has shifted to SVS due to their array of features and great reviews.

I’ve got the SVS SB1000s. Get the job done and then some for me. Maybe you have needs to move up the SVS line, but I just have a tough time relating to that. However, I will say, I think if you go SVS, you will get what you pay for. I guess I feel like you might be surprised how much you get even for $400 a sub. :)

To me they sound nice crossed over at 120 hz BTW, better than my L-R speakers in that frequency range. The subs fill the room better, for whatever reason. I kind of goof around with different crossover settings out of curiosity.

Last edited:

wje

Forum Donor
Edit: Read that you currently have the Martin Logan sub. If you're seriously considering the SVS subs, I'd recommend also getting the Sound Path isolation feet from SVS ($49.99 for 4). One of the best improvements I've added to my sub use and experience.

Last edited:

Bhh

Forum Donor
I hope this doesn’t complicaye things, I know these are difficult decisions. The L12 appears to be back in stock.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this doesn’t complicaye things, I know these are difficult decisions. The L12 appears to be back in stock.

It doesn't complicate anything. I just need to think a bit about if I really need to crossover higher than 100 hz.

Last edited:
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve coordinated with Amir and am going to drop ship the L12 to him for testing before it comes to me. I’ll order tomorrow but not sure how long it’s going to take him to get to it and get a review up.

Tomorrow is Sunday. Ships Monday or Tuesday, probably. It takes a while to get something from Austin TX to Seattle. Probably 5 or 6 business days.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up 2 L12s for our home theater, and love them. Sound great. I think the L12 is great in multiples. Output is good, and size makes positioning them very flexible. I had 2 18 inch DIY UM18 in a 4cu ft sealed enclosures. Their size limited their placement. I could really only put them in the front corners which was very bad for frequency response. Now Ihave one around the front right corner and one near the rear left and frequency response is very good. Amazing for their size.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a similar setup. Two SB 2000 subs with LS50wireless in a 2000 QF room. I cross them over at 100hz using my miniDSP SHD. I could not made the XO lower as my speakers had some boundary interference at around 80 hz. I thinks the system sounds absolutely amazing.

But to make it work I utilized a lot of the miniDSP SHDs featutes. Especially, the individual time delay was important to get the speakers match well with the subs at the XO region. I also use dirac but as my room is well treated, so dirac does not make that big of a difference, both in measurements and in listening.

I would go with the SB2000s. the SB3000 are overkill. It would not sound better, just louder. The SB2000s are loud enough in such a room.
Like using a howitzer to kill a bunny rabbit.

onion

Definitely get a pair - better to get two cheaper subs than one higher quality expensive sub.
I had one XTZ3x12 sub; then one MK X10 sub; then a pair of MK X10 subs. The huge step-up in quality came with the addition of the second sub.p particularly for music. Compared to the XTZ, the MKs are tighter and faster. I don't know how those qualities show up in measurements, but you'll be sorted if you get a pair of subs with those attributes.

wje

Forum Donor
Just pulled the trigger on 2 Rythmik L12's.

Excellent! I'd still recommend the SVS Sound Path isolation feet for the Rhythmic subs. Being you have a plywood floor, isolating your sub boxes from that sub-floor will add a good improvement to your listening experience and performance of the subs. The isolation feet with come with screws/bolts, but I'm not sure which size Rhythmic uses for their subs. When the subs arrive, just unscrew one of their isolation feet and head to your local hardware store. Pick up 8 screws/bolts that will fit the holes and use those with the SVS isolation feet. Enjoy!

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Ron, rhythmik is out of Austin and might make you a deal with a phone call and a truck, they have for my audio friends in Houston fyi

deafenears

Forum Donor
Rythmik also offers a multi-sub discount for 2 or more sub purchases. Doesn't have to be at the same time, just e-mail Brian or Enrico.

Top Bottom