• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Z Reviews meets PS Audio!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is weird but if you watch enough of his videos, your brain adapts and you can tolerate it better!

How many IQ points does that cost though...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"The global IQ is constant, the population is growing"

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So people are morons because they love analytical/flat sound than the bassy IEM's with bad treble/mids?
It’s about your target curve. Something from Etymotic, even the XR, is way too bass-life for me, my definition of neutrality is different. The KXXS would be more in-line with what I call neutral bass.

Which is why whenever you read/watch reviews, you have to know what they consider neutral. Like Crinicale’s reference is different than mine, so I ignore his comments on FR and focus on his graphs and comments on imaging/soundstage.

Severian

Forum Donor
I enjoy Zeos, but I'd never buy something on his recommendation alone since he doesn't even try to methodically analyze the sound. His channel, with the high volume of reviews, is a good way to get a look at products.

Sekenenz

Thanks to Zeos I've bought the aune X1s instead of a schiit stack and, more importantly, made me know of ASR. More than that, he has an entertaining way to present a lot of products from an ux point of view. "For the technical stuff there is ASR"

audiophile

Sadly he says he convinced them cables sound different. :(
In this interview from 15:30 Paul talks about Z Reviews and DMS paying a visit to PS Audio office with the goal to either hear the difference between USB cables or prove it's all snake oil:

Spoilers:
"They were completely against idea of cables... They showed up unannounced and brought their own USB cable"
"I just let them in the room by themselves and they did everything they could to disprove it"
"But our main system is so revealing, it's so easy to hear"
"They were banging their heads against the wall, but walked away thinking they can't believe it, but it's true (USB cables do make a difference)"

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko%2Fexpert-opinion-paul-mcgowan
And from 22:10 there is another story about Mark Waldrep's (Real HD-Audio) visit to PS Audio and listening for differences between standard vs hi-res material:

- Surely, Mark, you heard the difference?
- Absolutely.
- Well, so you're changing your stance?
- Nope

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In this interview from 15:30 Paul talks about Z Reviews and DMS paying a visit to PS Audio office with the goal to either hear the difference between USB cables or prove it's all snake oil:
Would be good to hear Z's version of the events. I never heard them comment after the show. Now he says they went and visited him at his company???

Anyway, if he lets me in there and I can test him with his and other USB cables, I am happy to do so. I am sure I will have the reverse story to tell. :)

audiophile

Anyway, if he lets me in there
Why wouldn't he? Their doors are open to anybody to come and listen and they have visitors every day.

I can test him with his and other USB cables, I am happy to do so. I am sure I will have the reverse story to tell. :)
That would be epic if you do that. Don't forget to bring your own cables and maybe a cheap good-measuring DAC to compare with PS Audio's gear :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why wouldn't he? Their doors are open to anybody to come and listen and they have visitors every day.

He did refuse the public debate with Mark Waldrep.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blujackaal

Zeos isn't a reviewer, he's an entertainer. I really enjoy his videos but I wouldn't look to him for actual advice on headphones. Reviewing Chewbaca the cat was probably the best thing he did in terms of a real review but I like him as he makes me laugh.

Also his cooking videos are surprisingly good too, Really don't get the hate since he way more fun than the rest are?. Not to mention quite a few who hate don't like it when there flaws are pointed as well. lol

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Spoilers:
"They were completely against idea of cables... They showed up unannounced and brought their own USB cable"
"I just let them in the room by themselves and they did everything they could to disprove it"
"But our main system is so revealing, it's so easy to hear"
"They were banging their heads against the wall, but walked away thinking they can't believe it, but it's true (USB cables do make a difference)"

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko%2Fexpert-opinion-paul-mcgowan
And from 22:10 there is another story about Mark Waldrep's (Real HD-Audio) visit to PS Audio and listening for differences between standard vs hi-res material:

- Surely, Mark, you heard the difference?
- Absolutely.
- Well, so you're changing your stance?
- Nope

This guy probably saw that video and bought a PS Audio I2S cable claiming significant night and day differences while justifying that $xxxx price tag for such improvement :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Capture.PNG

audiophile

This guy probably saw that video and bought a PS Audio I2S cable claiming significant night and day differences while justifying that $xxxx price tag for such improvement :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
That post is from 2005. As far as I know, these days PS Audio does not sell USB cables. The only kind of cables they offer are power cords.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why wouldn't he? Because of the huge potential for bad PR. That's why. And no, the open-door policy does not mean someone like me can spend money to fly there and expect to be let in and put Paul under blind listening test. He needs to accept the challenge and make an invitation.

Top Bottom