• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I used a Lexicon MC 12 to be specific

I am guessing there is a big difference with the SHD running the show?
The Lexicon looks more like a HT processor. Could you still set correct crossovers/delays/levels etc.?

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
This mirrors the system I’d like to set up. Any lessons learned to share with those who’d follow in your footsteps?

I would highly recommend a windows laptop to run the SHD and Dirac - as well as REW. I had no issues with anything. I use Roon as the front end as well.

On my laptop I have the SHD, REW, Dirac, and Roon Server. On an ipad I have Roon (the front end)

I have USB from the connection to the SHD. I have tested RCA and LAN, USB just works.

Assuming subwoofers:

Hook up speaker 1 and 2 to output 1 and 2
Hook up subwoofer to 3 and 4 (or just 3 if mono)
In SHD you do the firmware and setup the channels and crossovers (just use 80, dont get exotic imo)
Click the Dirac button and it loads Dirac, follow instructions (I have no issues with Dirac 2 I would use that)
I use a USB extension cable (30 feet) with no issues as well for the UMIK.
I would copy the Dirac config to all 4 memory slots for now
let it rip!

You can get exotic with crossovers as well as multiple dirac configs (like 4 pairs of speakers each with their saved config)

There is a very good SHD guide at minidsp - it will get you running with minimal bumps on windows.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I am guessing there is a big difference with the SHD running the show?
The Lexicon looks more like a HT processor. Could you still set correct crossovers/delays/levels etc.?

MC12 has a ton of settings, SHD allowed me to eliminate EVERYTHING - external DAC, audiophile preamp, external dirac box - my config is clean and sounds great.

Plus new toys are fun, MC 12 is old.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
MC12 has a ton of settings, SHD allowed me to eliminate EVERYTHING - external DAC, audiophile preamp, external dirac box - my config is clean and sounds great.

Plus new toys are fun, MC 12 is old.

Hey, I just realised the SHD only has 4 channel output. So how have you configured your Lx521 which is 6 or 8 channel active?

Kmac

I would highly recommend a windows laptop to run the SHD and Dirac - as well as REW. I had no issues with anything. I use Roon as the front end as well.

On my laptop I have the SHD, REW, Dirac, and Roon Server. On an ipad I have Roon (the front end)

I have USB from the connection to the SHD. I have tested RCA and LAN, USB just works.

Assuming subwoofers:

Hook up speaker 1 and 2 to output 1 and 2
Hook up subwoofer to 3 and 4 (or just 3 if mono)
In SHD you do the firmware and setup the channels and crossovers (just use 80, dont get exotic imo)
Click the Dirac button and it loads Dirac, follow instructions (I have no issues with Dirac 2 I would use that)
I use a USB extension cable (30 feet) with no issues as well for the UMIK.
I would copy the Dirac config to all 4 memory slots for now
let it rip!

You can get exotic with crossovers as well as multiple dirac configs (like 4 pairs of speakers each with their saved config)

There is a very good SHD guide at minidsp - it will get you running with minimal bumps on windows.
Thank you for all of this information about integrating SHD - you have inspired me to try it too. Glad it worked so seamlessly and helped you remove pre-amp, external dac etc from your system. What were your impressions on sound quality improvements and the bass integration through hooking up subwoofer thru the SHD outputs?

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Its flexible and sonically perfect. It does what you want it to for subwoofer integration. I just do a simple 80hz crossover, but you can go crazy with it if you want. Basically you set that, run dirac, tweak the dirac curve and start enjoying things.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those following this unit, great news. Among other things, volume control for Roon has been added. Here is the complete list of updates:

1. Added volume control, source selection and preset selection functions for Volumio (needs Volumio v1.023 or above)
2. Added display timeout, if idle for over 30 seconds, the display will be turned off.
3. Added shutdown function
Press-and-hold 1s -> Mute / Unmute (release button to confirm)
Press-and-hold 3s -> Power down (release button to confirm)
4. Reduced the volume increase speed if volume is increased to over -20dB, to avoid accidentally go to 0dB in just a small turn of the volume knob.
5. Ignore minidsp remote command if that command is learned by other remote, this feature is useful when SHD wrongly response with any other IR remote control which happened to has the same command code as minidsp remote.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I was just about to buy an Anthem STR Pre amp but it seems that this device will do all that the STR can do and more! :oops:

dionisp

Forum Donor
I have no experience from Anthem's solution, however I would definitely suggest SHD as a very versatile solution in the money. Other than some small silly issues, that don't ruin the experience for me, it's perfect for a 2.2 system.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know if the current version measures any better?
I don’t. I think Amir let them know about an issue (can’t recall what it was, maybe some jitter) that they improved on but I haven’t seen any measurements anywhere. It seems though, even as measured, it is pretty much guaranteed to be transparent it seems.

IslandMD

I was just about to buy an Anthem STR Pre amp but it seems that this device will do all that the STR can do and more! :oops:
Major flaw of the SHD is a lack of home theater bypass option for the analog inputs for front left, right and subwoofer. This is the only reason I won't buy one and I haven't heard of any work around solution other than some type of manual external switcher. So, if you are planning to listen to music in the same room you watch movies you might want to consider the Anthem STR Pre-amp instead.

D

Deleted member 2944

Major flaw of the SHD is a lack of home theater bypass option for the analog inputs for front left, right and subwoofer. This is the only reason I won't buy one and I haven't heard of any work around solution other than some type of manual external switcher. So, if you are planning to listen to music in the same room you watch movies you might want to consider the Anthem STR Pre-amp instead.
That's not a "flaw" of the SHD unit. That's a capability that it wasn't even remotely designed for. C'mon.

Regards measurements. No hardware changes here, so I wouldn't expect any difference. Jitter performance, etc, etc, will all be unchanged.

Dave.

IslandMD

That's not a "flaw" of the SHD unit. That's a capability that it wasn't even remotely designed for. C'mon.

Regards measurements. No hardware changes here, so I wouldn't expect any difference. Jitter performance, etc, etc, will all be unchanged.

Dave.
Well, I'm a potential customer who would have bought one but I won't because of this one flaw. Based on others asking the exact same question about this I think MiniDSP is losing a lot of potential sales. Stereo only listening rooms are becoming a thing of the past.

BeepPeep_61

Hi everyone, here is my connection scheme which I have already shown in another trhead, and which I normally use to switch from "Home Theater" listening to "pure Music" listening.
In the end you only have to turn the knob of an XLR switch and the path of the analog signal output from the SHD Minidsp will go directly to the Mono amplifiers (McIntosh MC601) and I assure you that it is the most HiFi solution you could wish for !!
As for the SHD, it was the (super positive) upheaval that my system has ever undergone, despite the listening environment being widely treated. It has resolved intrinsic criticalities of the construction irregularity that I could not easily solve (I attach the graphs of the intervention of the Minidsp)
As for my experience with ANTHEM product, I must say that fortunately I was able to give back to the seller an AVR model AVM60 because it had the front XLR analog outputs with a very strange background noise (audible in pianissimi) as disturbance induced by the part digital system, a problem not found in the MARANTZ AV8805 of which I am delighted.

Difrattori a Soffitto.jpg
Schema Impianto Completo x ASR.jpg
20191020_000332.jpg
20191020_000413.jpg

D

Deleted member 2944

Well, I'm a potential customer who would have bought one but I won't because of this one flaw. Based on others asking the exact same question about this I think MiniDSP is losing a lot of potential sales. Stereo only listening rooms are becoming a thing of the past.
The logic here evades me. I get that you're looking for a different product, but that doesn't make this one "flawed."
If you have a Camry and it won't pull a 5000-lb trailer, maybe you should have got a 4Runner.

Dave.

IslandMD

The logic here evades me. I get that you're looking for a different product, but that doesn't make this one "flawed."
If you have a Camry and it won't pull a 5000-lb trailer, maybe you should have got a 4Runner.

Dave.
The MiniDSP SHD is designed for 2.2 stereo listening. The majority of their potential customers who have 2.2 setups would have these speakers integrated in a home theater of some type. If miniDSP can't accommodate those customers with a HT Bypass they're losing out. Yes, I'm going to go buy a "4Runner" instead, and I'm not the only one. It's their loss.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I thought the SHD only has two analogue inputs? I assumed the XLR & RCA could only be used separately? :facepalm:

I have a 2.2 set up so if I'm wrong, this is definitely an item to consider.
It has the same DAC as I have now (RME ADI2 FS) so I won't be losing out on anything....instead, I'll be gaining a huge amount of functionality. :D

Top Bottom