• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do not connect mono TRS, because you might destroy the internal opamps from the output buffer!
Given the intended market I'd be amazed if they haven't built it to withstand people plugging in TS jacks instead of TRS.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Given the intended market I'd be amazed if they haven't built it to withstand people plugging in TS jacks instead of TRS.
It won't break but it's common sense. You are shorting the V- and GND. Performance will degrade a lot.

Hunter_TJ

But as long as you're using a TRS-stereo to RCA adapter to feed the Schiit Heresy I don't really see any downsize to Scarlett/Heresy combo when using HD650. Also, the XLR-mic input on Scarlett is quite low-noise and pretty good as a mic-preamp, so you might give it a try after all.
Okay. I expected to need to use dual trs to rca, so that would work? I am a little confused about your language regarding damage to the opamps. I didn't know that I could damage them. What should I avoid? I want to make sure I am not doing anything taboo.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
As long as you're using stereo 6.3mm jacks (stereo TRS) it should be fine. This is how I'm connecting my Focusrite to my monitors too.

"If a mono TS plug is inserted into three-conductor stereo TRS socket, the result is that the right channel (ring) of the socket is grounded. The signal from the right channel will be lost. If the grounding of the right channel short circuits the right channel of the amplifier, this could damage the amplifier" - https://www.majorcom.fr/web/en/569-le-cablage-electronique.php.

r410_9_image_comparaison_trs_et_ts_thumbnail.jpg

Source: https://www.majorcom.fr/web/en/569-le-cablage-electronique.php

AllanDavidson

This unit performance is a disaster. Mic preamp, Instrument preamp, ADC, DAC, headphone amp... Every single aspect of this unit performs worse than a cheap dedicated piece.

@amirm I wonder how well a Focusrite Clarett (marketed as a superior product over Scarlett) or the new Motu M2/M4 and Steinberg UR22C/UR44C (both 32-bit/192KHz ADCs!!!) performs compared to this unit.

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I use a Clarett 4Pre and it works and measures fine. It is a lot more expensive than a Scarlett.

AllanDavidson

The Clarett 4Pre cost 5x more than this 2i2, it should be orders of magnitude better. But how well does it perform exactly? Is the Amp section better than the $99 Atom? Are the preamps better than something like a $45 Schiit Sys?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Clarett 4Pre cost 5x more than this 2i2, it should be orders of magnitude better. But how well does it perform exactly? Is the Amp section better than the $99 Atom? Are the preamps better than something like a $45 Schiit Sys?
It's used as an audio interface. Many people also use it as measurements equipment. The distortion is much lower on 2pre and 4pre if you dial down the amplitude a bit. The optimal THD can reach as low as 0.00007% -125dB. With some attenuator and a high quality oscillator it can be used to measure almost anything.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This unit performance is a disaster. Mic preamp, Instrument preamp, ADC, DAC, headphone amp... Every single aspect of this unit performs worse than a cheap dedicated piece.

@amirm I wonder how well a Focusrite Clarett (marketed as a superior product over Scarlett) or the new Motu M2/M4 and Steinberg UR22C/UR44C (both 32-bit/192KHz ADCs!!!) performs compared to this unit.
Oh. yes. The new m2/m4 is really good. But clarett is not that new and the 2i2 is not bad at all. Forget about Steinberg.
https://prosound.ixbt.com/interfaces/motu-m4.shtml

AllanDavidson

It's used as an audio interface. Many people also use it as measurements equipment. The distortion is much lower on 2pre and 4pre if you dial down the amplitude a bit. The optimal THD can reach as low as 0.00007% -125dB. With some attenuator and a high quality oscillator it can be used to measure almost anything.

Yeah you're right, but this is the thing, If I'm going to have bad performance on a $650 interface while recording at 24/192, I would rather get dedicated separated hardware like preamps, adc/dac, Amp, and it might even being cheaper in the end.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah you're right, but this is the thing, If I'm going to have bad performance on a $650 interface while recording at 24/192, I would rather get dedicated separated hardware like preamps, adc/dac, Amp, and it might even being cheaper in the end.
2i2 costs US $140
And 650 is the price for 4pre which is four channel. 2pre is 440usd.
BTW on the clarett
at -9db the performance is really good especially the thd. You are not getting better performance at 2015 which is the time this thing is released. Dedicated ADC has never been a thing as far as I know. Interfacing multiple devices can cause ground issue which is never the case here.
TB2kjRDxm8mpuFjSZFMXXaxpVXa_!!1094243595.png

Last edited:

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Oh. yes. The new m2/m4 is really good.
I've been looking into M2 as an alternative to my K5 Pro as a dac/amp and recording interface. My current Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer is getting up in age, still works, and sounds good but the M2 has some nice features and probably even better preamps.

What concerns me is it hasn't been reviewed here so it's taking a gamble on how it tests under Amir's scrutiny, powers my 300 ohm Senns to my satisfaction, and drivers that work well with Equalizer APO in Windows.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've been looking into M2 as an alternative to my K5 Pro as a dac/amp and recording interface. My current Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer is getting up in age, still works, and sounds good but the M2 has some nice features and probably even better preamps.

What concerns me is it hasn't been reviewed here so it's taking a gamble on how it tests under Amir's scrutiny, powers my 300 ohm Senns to my satisfaction, and drivers that work well with Equalizer APO in Windows.
IMO as an audio interface that's a no brainer. Yet, I don't think the headphone out performance is that good. It uses one opa1688 and operates at quite low voltage. It should have really low distortion driving your sennheiser but you may encounter shortage of power which can be an issue. The K5pro's performance is actually limited by the DAC and the volume controller chip. You can continue to use your k5pro as amp which is much more powerful than the one in M2.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Ouch!
No, the Clarett is not 5 times better than a 2i2. Nothing is. I do not know what five times better means.
I paid 400.00 each for the 2 Clarett 4Pre. It offered four channel balanced monitor output controlled by a single mechanical knob. When this is a required feature the list of potential dac/interfaces is really short.
The performance is way better than needed, optical TB connectivity allowed moving the computer across the room. The two seperate headphone circuits is a monitoring room feature. That is why I have two. TB is another FW. Buy now.
The Clarett line is the mid line pricing gear for Focusrite. Stepup Scarlett. Stepdown from Red. Just no Dante or PCIe connectivity. The Red line is real professional gear.
These Red line units are 20 times the cost of the Scarlett. Mostly the same parts inside as the Clarett range. Published specs are almost the same.
There are lots of great products out there. Just not many with four channels of monitor outputs.

AllanDavidson

Ouch!
No, the Clarett is not 5 times better than a 2i2. Nothing is. I do not know what five times better means.
I paid 400.00 each for the 2 Clarett 4Pre. It offered four channel balanced monitor output controlled by a single mechanical knob. When this is a required feature the list of potential dac/interfaces is really short.
The performance is way better than needed, optical TB connectivity allowed moving the computer across the room. The two seperate headphone circuits is a monitoring room feature. That is why I have two. TB is another FW. Buy now.
The Clarett line is the mid line pricing gear for Focusrite. Stepup Scarlett. Stepdown from Red. Just no Dante or PCIe connectivity. The Red line is real professional gear.
These Red line units are 20 times the cost of the Scarlett. Mostly the same parts inside as the Clarett range. Published specs are almost the same.
There are lots of great products out there. Just not many with four channels of monitor outputs.

I didn't said 5x times better, it's 5x more expensive, $99 vs $499.

If we need more in/outs, it's 4i4 vs 4pre, $179 vs $659.

Thorskin

Would something like this or a Motu m2/m4 or a umc404hd be an acceptable alternative to a Atom+D10 / Magni/Heresy+Modi?
I am shopping for a new DAC+AMP but also need a Audio interface so hoping something like this can take care of all 3.
Ill be using HD650s, LCD2cs and various iems.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Would something like this or a Motu m2/m4 or a umc404hd be an acceptable alternative to a Atom+D10 / Magni/Heresy+Modi?
I am shopping for a new DAC+AMP but also need a Audio interface so hoping something like this can take care of all 3.
Ill be using HD650s, LCD2cs and various iems.
It depends on your definition of acceptable. The DAC stage in this is a bit worse than the D10 and the headphone stage is considerably worse than the Atom or Heresy. The UMC204HD has a worse DAC, and I'm not sure if its headphone stage was tested but it won't be up to the Atom or Heresy. The Motu hasn't been tested here yet, but preliminary indications for the DAC aren't bad. I think you'll be hard pushed to find a headphone stage comparable to the Atom or Heresy in any interface this side of the RME, so if that part's important you probably need 2 boxes.

P_M

@amirm What is the analog source from which you supply the analog signal to the ADC input ? How pure is it ? Wondering if any distortion in the original input signal adds to the distortion showing on the ADC chart ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@amirm What is the analog source from which you supply the analog signal to the ADC input ? How pure is it ? Wondering if any distortion in the original input signal adds to the distortion showing on the ADC chart ?

Usually, one gets the analog signal from the AP- it has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. Loopback testing confirms the source's cleanness.

Reactions: P_M
Top Bottom