• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Frozen

Mission QX-2

C55ED104-CAAA-4ED0-9F13-39DA75CAB475.jpeg

Bhh

Forum Donor
Not sure if this is the right place but I’d like to request some speaker tests of outdoor speakers. Due to the lack of room acoustics outdoors, I think the results of these tests will be particularly revealing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not sure if this is the right place but I’d like to request some speaker tests of outdoor speakers. Due to the lack of room acoustics outdoors, I think the results of these tests will be particularly revealing.
Sounds like a good future project. Let's get more of the indoor speakers tested for now to build up a good database and then we can go after outdoor ones.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a good future project. Let's get more of the indoor speakers tested for now to build up a good database and then we can go after outdoor ones.
Testing PA speakers would be very interesting. Behringer has some powered for <$300/each that have some serious looking waveguides.

That’s a large business. I work at a school and we have PA speakers in all the commons, not to mention the gym and sports fields. Same with all the in-ceiling speakers (my room has 5: no clue on brand, has an "A" logo in the center).

Oh, and unlike most Hi-Fi speakers, PA models of different woofer sizes actually usually use different waveguides! This 8” model and this 12” model are from the same line-up, yet the designs are different (the crossover is higher on the 12” for some reason).

I’ve always wondered about PA speaker performance difference between the same brand where the models are close in price; all from Behringer, they have passive 15” models for:
$178
$248
$258
$388
etc.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Testing PA speakers would be very interesting.
Agreed, that could be interesting. Similar to PA speakers, might also consider testing FRFR (full range, flat response) speakers as many musicians are switching to amp/cab modeling and using these speakers as a blank slate. Headrush's 8" and 12" FRFR active speakers are $199-299 (link).

ck42

Forum Donor
In terms of Atmos speakers the RSL C34e is also a popular recommendation. I'm not convinced any infinite baffle in-wall/ceilings are going to measure well though as even Revel struggles.

Running the C34E's. VERY nice. Subjectively, very happy with them.

GabrielZM

It would be interesting to see the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2, another A. Jones design but more recent and almost twice the cost of the Pioneer's.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Has anyone mentioned the JBL "Studio" 530? These things aren't what I would consider cheap, but they're not high-end priced, either -- and they are periodically put on sale. They seem to be on perpetual close-out, in fact -- sort of the 21st Century equivalent of last century's "Oriental Rug" (such was the term of art in those unenlightened and insensitive times) stores, which (at least when and where I came of age) seemed to have a going out of business sale every few weeks. ;)

They seem to be popular, and they're certainly of interesting and somewhat idiosyncratic design for two-ways with horn-loaded treble drivers -- and they come (presumably/apparently) from a design team with some chops.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+530.html

1582224591090.png

If they're not on the list, perhaps they should be?

And if they already are -- my apologies for not checking harder! :confused:

ck42

Forum Donor
Another one I'd really like to see, Adam T5V
...and for a passive, curious about the SVS Prime Bookshelf

@amirm And it looks like you've already acquired another one that I'm very interested, the Kali LP-6....so def want to see how that goes too.

Last edited:

Haint

Given the cost of many of the bookshelfs mentioned, the Magnepan LRS is not out of line.

Stereophile reviewed them and their FR is probably the worst measurement I've ever seen. Their higher end models don't fare any better, think they also reviewed 1 or 2 of them. Not sure if the technology necessitates a completely different measuring methodology.

Another high priority recommendation IMO should be the Chane A2.4. This has been an internet darling for several years with a religious like following in frequency of recommendations, but AFAIK no one has done real measurements of any of their models.

Last edited:

Audio Monkey

I have Wharfedale Reva-1 speakers unopened. Happy to send for review if there's interest.

Although discontinued, they're still available and a great deal at Parts Connexion in Canada (no tax, about $30 for shipping). Or buy from Crutchfield for more $! I have the Reva-2 and they sound great to my ears. Definitely not bright like the Klipsch that was just measured!

https://www.partsconnexion.com/WHREV-83333.html
g336REVA1PB-F.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Apologies if it is on the list already, but the sony ss-cs5 seems like a real contender for budget speakers...
It was mentioned a few times before but your post prompted me to purchase it just now. :) I will have to have hog dog and bread for the entire next week to save up for better food now!!! :D

Top Bottom