• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Source computer's HUGE effect on fidelity

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha!! But the graphs only show to ~300 Hz !!

The noise must be YUGE at 3 kHz!

or at 30 or 300 kHz - wherever

and just cuz I can't hear the noise directly doesn't mean that it don't not ultrasonically interfere with the active devices upsteam!

or downstream

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unless one uses Roon (and I assume similar software) to manage larger libraries and/ or large streaming service playlists. Then you actually do need need a decent bit of RAM/ processor to get the thing moving. But thats not related to audio quality on playback- just usability.

yup. i tried to run roon on a very old mac mini, and it was hopeless. so i picked up a hot rod 2012 i7 with 16gb ram for $350 on craiglist. it runs roon like a dream. i now run three such servers (one is my teenage son’s) without processing hiccups.

however, i noticed that gray usb cables gave music a darkened hue relative to white ones, so i spent $1,000 on Musitone UltraWhite Specularity USB Max cables, and those lend crystal, bright clarity to the sound, definitely removing that last bit of cloudiness.

that last bit is a lie. the first part is true.

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
No, no...

You need a good quality linear power supply everywhere.

Including your tv.

It's common knowledge that switching power supplies are works of the devil.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
As a layman, am I correct in picking up a wee bit of sarcasm in this thread?

You are incorrect. It is far larger than "wee".

From what I gather, If DAC=competent, then PC type=non-issue?

Correct.

:)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless one uses Roon (and I assume similar software) to manage larger libraries and/ or large streaming service playlists. Then you actually do need need a decent bit of RAM/ processor to get the thing moving. But thats not related to audio quality on playback- just usability.

Not at all. You simply need storage. For $400 I can put together a silent Windows 10 Pro X64 machine that will handle any size NAS you want to put on the network.

My current, and silent, PC is ASRock 3150N fanless CPU heatsink, Seasonic ATX silent PSU, 10GBe SFP+ Fiber Multi Mode NIC, 96GB SSD. The file server is in the basement and is a $299 Dell PowerEdge R620 with 10GBe SFP+ Fiber Multi Mode NIC.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I know there are products the de-crapify the USB for the known, but unmeasurable, quantum leakage high/low current phase noise, so that isn't going to show up in your graphs.

I've no idea how they were able to develop products that correct what can't be quantified, but there you have it. You've been soundly beaten.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every music reproduction have its body (measurable) and aura (immeasurable). You can have almost identical body (like in case of monozygotic twins), but each with HUGELY different aura!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Way back when Watkins-Johnson (an RF company) put out this gem:

1582207981907.png

I really miss those days...

renevoorburg

As a layman, am I correct in picking up a wee bit of sarcasm in this thread?
From what I gather, If DAC=competent, then PC type=non-issue?

Regardless all the sarcasm (?): I experience degraded sound (when using my turntable!?) that appears to be caused by the computer and USB connections with both DACs I own (Topping D10 and Musical FIdelity V-DAC) don't solve (unless using the D10 as a USB to optical converter).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the old Signetics write-only memory datasheet.
View attachment 50969

There were a bunch of them... National put a few in their databooks (remember the one with the complex circuit that actually was just a wire from input to output?), Signetics also threw out an app note for a delayed light turn-off using the 555 to snuff out a candle (looked like a Mousetrap game setup), I seem to remember a few others as other companies got in on the joke. Per my source at WJ, based on a vague memory from the early 1980's, management was not happy about the joke, but pretty soon everyone was doing it.

My own stint was working on a massive multi-company proposal for which we were a subcontractor. I finished my section (for a high-speed S/H) and was tasked to help others and to proof the document. It was crazy and everyone was working around the clock. Near the deadline someone noticed there was no proprietary footer and so I put in a placeholder along the lines of "XXX Proprietary: Use or disclosure of this information is prohibited by Law of Man and Nature and misuse may result in severe threat to Truth, Freedom, and the American way of life as well as total annihilation of the known universe." Yup, it shipped that way, all the way through the prime, which got a call from the gov't reviewer and deferred to us. Legal tried to shift blame to our team (and thus to me), but my management (and the prime's management) were all laughing too hard to do more than tell me to not do it again. Or at least not get caught.

mansr

Major Contributor
There were a bunch of them... National put a few in their databooks (remember the one with the complex circuit that actually was just a wire from input to output?), Signetics also threw out an app note for a delayed light turn-off using the 555 to snuff out a candle (looked like a Mousetrap game setup), I seem to remember a few others as other companies got in on the joke. Per my source at WJ, based on a vague memory from the early 1980's, management was not happy about the joke, but pretty soon everyone was doing it.

My own stint was working on a massive multi-company proposal for which we were a subcontractor. I finished my section (for a high-speed S/H) and was tasked to help others and to proof the document. It was crazy and everyone was working around the clock. Near the deadline someone noticed there was no proprietary footer and so I put in a placeholder along the lines of "XXX Proprietary: Use or disclosure of this information is prohibited by Law of Man and Nature and misuse may result in severe threat to Truth, Freedom, and the American way of life as well as total annihilation of the known universe." Yup, it shipped that way, all the way through the prime, which got a call from the gov't reviewer and deferred to us. Legal tried to shift blame to our team (and thus to me), but my management (and the prime's management) were all laughing too hard to do more than tell me to not do it again. Or at least not get caught.
All those things were before my time. Sadly, we'd never get away with such jokes nowadays. The best we can hope for is sneaking a funny comment into some source code.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RF engineers may remember the Watt Birdmeter that measures the imbirdance of a transmission line.

It's a well known problem with open-wire RF transmission lines that birds perching on the lines affects their impedance and thus their VSWR, which in turn affects the effective radiated power. However, how much of an effect was always in doubt as there was no way of measuring it. So, the Watt company took something that looked suspiciously like the Bird Through-Line Watt meter and created the Watt Birdmeter to measure the imbirdance of the line. There was a full write-up in, Broadcast Engineering in 1968, April edition I think it was.

S

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who took down my potted plants post? I was serious. You can't knock it if you haven't tried it. They also serve as base traps. I have the Dayton Omni Mic to prove the before and after.

Top Bottom