• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which rca cable is worth for topping D30 and A30?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The arrow has to do with how the cable is internally grounded. If you point the arrow the same direction the sound goes (like pointing to the A30 from your D30) it is possible that you will get less background noise or avoid hum. There is not much science that says it makes a difference. So if you have a cable with an arrow....point it away from your source. If your cable has no arrow, do not worry about it.
If you believe what you read, the same applies to any text on the cable.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As others have said...the cables will make absolutely no difference in sound unless you get a set that is defective. That said I agree with DKT88 below that the "World's Best Cables" brand he links to below look very nice and are cheap.

I got these shorter ones (1/2 foot) because my amp and dac were stacked. The same page shows 1 foot lengths.

Hey...when you can get the world's best anything for $20 why not ;) While I am sure the WBC brand is meant to be a bit ironic...if you use high quality cable and good connectors...there really is nothing you get better by spending more.

I have bought a lot of the Ghent cables mention by Koeitje, and they are just as good and also available in short lengths. I just like the fast shipping time and easy return policy of buying the "World's Best" through Amazon in the U.S.
I like the Mogami cable and I also like the Rean connectors -- although they're a little bit hard to work with.
At this point, most of the ahem "interconnects" on my hifi are DIY with Mogami and Rean, very similar to the above-mentioned cables.
One nice thing about DIY is that one may make cables of exactly the desired length.

DSC_4280 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the Mogami cable and I also like the Rean connectors -- although they're a little bit hard to work with.
At this point, most of the ahem "interconnects" on my hifi are DIY with Mogami and Rean, very similar to the above-mentioned cables.
One nice thing about DIY is that one may make cables of exactly the desired length.

by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

What Mogami bulk cable do you use?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
:rolleyes: One will note that I had adroitly not mentioned that! ;)

I took a very scientific approach to my choice -- I quite literally purchased the cheapest Mogami cable per foot that I thought might make an OK unbalanced connection for line level components! And that choice was this cable.

https://www.parts-express.com/mogami-w2552-superflexible-microphone-signal-cable-1-ft--103-1016

1581278880892.png

Since it is shielded, I actually connected the shield at one end, and put a little band of heatshrink on that end. Yes, they're directional cables, too! :)

This is (in all seriousness) almost certainly not the best choice for hifi interconnects, but I've been in no way disappointed by them... and, thanks to some very nice folks at the Polk Audio forums, I even had the chance to compare them (strictly qualitatively) head-to-head with a (small) bevy of store-bought 'interconnects' across some range of prices.

DSC_4214 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: Oh, here's what the final product looks like (i.e., the Mogami cable and Rean connectors) -- note the piece of red heatshrink at the 'shield connected' end. :cool:

diy wires.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
:rolleyes: One will note that I had adroitly not mentioned that! ;)

I took a very scientific approach to my choice -- I quite literally purchased the cheapest Mogami cable per foot that I thought might make an OK unbalanced connection for line level components! And that choice was this cable.

It actually does make good sense, as far as I am concerned (an engineer, though not an EE.)

If a cable is capable of properly transmitting mic level signals over a 25 foot run from the mic to a console, it certainly can do a better job transmitting a consumer DAC output to an amp over a handful of feet at the most.

I made quite a few from Mogami 2534 with the cheaper Rean RCAs and it was likely overkill.

And yes, I also connected the shield to ground only at one end, so IF there was any noise issue, I could flip the cable around to see if that helped.

Tim6622

I have tried the World's best cable mogami +nuetrikcable, SKW cables, "Moonaudio" Micintosh 2328 green hose cable , KUYIOHIFI RCA cable and Chooseal rca's. They all sound the same so for my choice i would go with the cheapest.

OP
S

Slk07

I have tried the World's best cable mogami +nuetrikcable, SKW cables, "Moonaudio" Micintosh 2328 green hose cable , KUYIOHIFI RCA cable and Chooseal rca's. They all sound the same so for my choice i would go with the cheapest.
Is mogami cheapest ?

wje

Forum Donor
Is mogami cheapest ?

Canare cable can be found for a little less. Both Canare and Mogami cable is made in Japan, from what I remember. I've made several purchases of cable and connectors from Redco in the past. Chris charges realistic shipping rates (e.g. USPS Priority Mail, etc.) and my deliveries arrive pretty quick. He stocks Mogami, Canare as well as some Redco-branded cable, but I've never used it. The prices for Canare and Mogami are quite good. https://www.redco.com/

The other cables from Amazon recommended are made pretty well, too. Also, you can find a Seismic Audio cable (1' in length) for a good price on Amazon. I've used a few of these with good results in the past. https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi...rca+cable&qid=1582021197&s=electronics&sr=1-3

wje

Forum Donor
Also, for those D-I-Y types, I've found Mogami quad cable for sale at my local Guitar Center, where they sell it by the foot. Sure, it's a little more per linear foot than on-line, but you save on the shipping costs and get it pretty quick if you have a Guitar Center store near you.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I feel like I'm repeating myself.
Mogami StarQuad cable is for XLR balanced interconnects in hostile interference locations. It's not for RCA cables or most residential XLR cables for that matter.

Reactions: wje

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mogami W2552 is far from the their best cable for an RCA unbalanced analog interconnect.
Chose one of their coax cables with a heavy braided shield.
www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf
I was very upfront with y'all as to why I chose it -- it was cheap. :)
It is also very supple, which is nice. At the moment, most of the cabling in my 'real' hifi upstairs is made from this stuff. I have no complaints, although you are, in principle, completely correct about it be not the optimal choice.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. :oops:

DSC_5909 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Amazon Basic cables are supple and that's why I love them .

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I was very upfront with y'all as to why I chose it -- it was cheap
So put some XLR connectors on it and use it as a balanced interconnect.
There are lots of good & inexpensive coax cables out there.
It's not a coax and it's hard to get it in a RC connector, so it remains a poor choice for other DIY'ers.

Last edited:

wje

Forum Donor
I feel like I'm repeating myself.
Mogami StarQuad cable is for XLR balanced interconnects in hostile interference locations. It's not for RCA cables or most residential XLR cables for that matter.

Your statement is quite true. I had all the necessary connectors at my place last night and only the Canare quad cable. I was trying to build a quick RCA to XLR cable for the amplifier. After getting it all connected, the sound was atrocious. Most of the treble was sucked right out of the music. My pre-made cables will arrive tomorrow, so all will be OK.

TomB19

I am using some terrific 18" cables with clamping wbt rca connectors between my D50s and A50. See the picture. Very trick.

I see I need to dust the a50 already.

That's why I recommend something cheaper, softer, and shorter. I will probably make a pair of custom 6" cables. 18" is too long and the cable is too stiff. Also, the locking feature of the wbt isn't needed. Last, in my opinion, any reasonably decent cable sounds the same so get something decent that doesn't embarrass you but don't spend on sound quality.

IMG_20200220_000927120.jpg

Top Bottom