• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a streamer with Intel Nuc/how

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USB 3.0 has throughput that is 5x1GB Ethernet. Also, that router is latest WiFi tech which easily exceeds 1GB Ethernet, and it has a wired multigig port at 5GB Ethernet standard.. All of this fairly moot since a 100MB connection would be plenty for this application.

Thanks for this. I now realize that I've been doing IT wrong for the past 30 years. I can barely comprehend the trail of destruction I must have left behind at the string of global companies for which I have worked. In fact. I think there's a fair chance that I personally caused the 2008 global financial crisis by incorrectly using Gb to refer to gigabit, when I should have used GB as you have done above. It's now become clear to me why I couldn't understand any of the technical sessions at CiscoLive! Barcelona last month. I feel like such a fraud, at least I got to see Nile Rodgers and Chic live at the closing party.

OP
B

Bliman

Whew it is not simple. I have seen the ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER Streamer USB Interface Ultra Low Noise + Case
too. And I found it interesting. Could you tell me what the consensus is about this one? Especially Berwhale, because you seem sceptical about such a solution.
I can install Volumio on it. I don't think I can use Audirvana on it. But I think Volumio is good and I can use Tidal with it.
It is a Pi solution which many like here it seems.
The only question is storage. Downstairs connected to the computer is my router and it is a Fritzbox 7360 V2 and has one usb connection. So do I connect a hdd to the router, go for a simple wd nas (lower cost) or connect a hdd directly to the Allo ?
I hope we can narrow down a little bit and come to a consensus instead of widening the scope.
Also, keep in mind that I want great audio and not be held back. I have just bought the RME ADI DAC and it is a great product with great equalizer. And I wanted to archive my cd's and also start buying digital to lessen the space that my cd's take (because I am running out of room)and also use Tidal and such. But if this means that my audio is less than I would continue the old way. And like the youtube channel of Bleekhuizen points out the one streamer solution is not the other. And he wants the much more expensive power supply and such.

Puska

It comes with SD card with software of your choice. Volumio is one of tham. Audirvana will be installed on the ripping computer. The usbridge will show up in Audirvana settings.

Puska

This is the cheap solution with good quality sound. Step up from this is sotm sms200 Ultra Neo. Step up from sotm is Auralic Arie G2. Good luck.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially Berwhale, because you seem sceptical about such a solution.

Not sceptical, lots of approaches can work and will fit your requirements. I still think the NUC with internal HDD is a good approach because it's fairly cheap, self contained and gives you options to upgrade or tweak at a later date...

* Building the NUC (adding RAM and HDD) requires little technical ability.
* Installing Daphile is simple and well documented.
* If you're not happy with Daphile, can explore other options on the NUC like Windows + Aurdirva or any of the media oriented Linux distros including Volumio x64.
* HDD can be upgraded, USB HDD can be added easily.
* It's a standard PC, not a solution relying on proprietary hardware like the Audiophonics USB bridge (which I have nothing against, but seems a little expensive for what it provides)

Daverz

Major Contributor
Whew it is not simple. I have seen the ALLO USBRIDGE SIGNATURE PLAYER Streamer USB Interface Ultra Low Noise + Case
too. And I found it interesting. Could you tell me what the consensus is about this one?

I suggest reading some of Amir's reviews of USB converters. The Allo device is simply unnecessary and doesn't do anything more than a Pi4 would at less than 1/3 the price.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

one streamer solution is not the other. And he wants the much more expensive power supply and such.

Seems like a nice fellow, but he pushes a lot of nonsense like this. Check reviews of power supplies here.

Puska

Nice fellow dont believe in usb out of computer. Pi is not but its usb is shered on the board thats why allo usbridge signature is superior. Im writing from my own experience which cost me a lot.

OP
B

Bliman

Not sceptical, lots of approaches can work and will fit your requirements. I still think the NUC with internal HDD is a good approach because it's fairly cheap, self contained and gives you options to upgrade or tweak at a later date...

* Building the NUC (adding RAM and HDD) requires little technical ability.
* Installing Daphile is simple and well documented.
* If you're not happy with Daphile, can explore other options on the NUC like Windows + Aurdirva or any of the media oriented Linux distros including Volumio x64.
* HDD can be upgraded, USB HDD can be added easily.
* It's a standard PC, not a solution relying on proprietary hardware like the Audiophonics USB bridge (which I have nothing against, but seems a little expensive for what it provides)
So you would go for this with a 2TB hdd 5400 rpm? https://minipc.eu/computers/zelf-samenstellen/micro-pc/shuttle-ds10u And I would send my music upstairs wireless from my computer to the Shuttle?

OP
B

Bliman

Nice fellow dont believe in usb out of computer. Pi is not but its usb is shered on the board thats why allo usbridge signature is superior. Im writing from my own experience which cost me a lot.
And you would go for the Allo and what would you use for storage? hdd connected to router or a nas or hdd connected to Allo?

OP
B

Bliman

Have you worked with a Nuc connected to Dac. Was it not good in quality?

OP
B

Bliman

Would both of you agree and most here. That the two solutions are good and give excellent audio. And the same functionality?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Would both of you agree and most here. That the two solutions are good and give excellent audio. And the same functionality?
I think all of the solutions discussed will give the same audio, unless I've forgotten about a bad one. There may or may not be an audible difference in background noise level with a fan or hdd in the listening room. The core functionality will be similar, but there will be capabilities where they differ that will matter to some people and not others. What online sources can it stream from, and at what quality level? Can it index by composer, soloist or whatever other ting matters to you? Does it do gapless playback between tracks? Does it work with Bluetooth or AirPlay? Can it do room EQ? Is the interface just too complicated, or oversimplified for your tastes? It's these sort of things that drive the personal preference for one solution over another, and why you'll never get consensus on the 'best' one. I've tried several and settled on the one that suits me, but it may not be the one that suits you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Bliman

The 4205U CPU in the Shuttle is newer than the J4005 in the NUC, but it's slower. Personally i'd go with the NUC. The NUC will emit more noise due to it's CPU fan, but I can't tell you if that will be a problem for you.
Thanks. Yeah that is a difficult one for me to. I can't estimate if the cpu fan would be noisy or not. This one has a price of 565€ and has an i3 without a fan. With the same 2TB HDD 5400rpm. https://minipc.eu/computers/zelf-samenstellen/micro-pc/shuttle-ds77u3
And I would combine that with audirvana or Jriver. That looks like a good product and is much less expensive than Roon.
Do I then still need another storage? Or can I convert the music with a ripper on my computer and send it wireless upstairs to the Shuttle? And then delete it from my computer? I know it is best to backup it too.
The only thing I am afraid of is digital noise from the Shuttle itself. That's where the audiophile and such come in. It is difficult to separate the truth from false.

Puska

Not only fan makes a nose. The electronic too does and therefore for ultimate sound q. You need network player. You should understand by now that if you are aiming for top sq, your computer, Nas, HDD should be away from your listening room. For ultimate usb network player you really have only handful of choices. Which one to choose, people including me already suggested. Now is your turn to decide.

OP
B

Bliman

Not only fan makes a nose. The electronic too does and therefore for ultimate sound q. You need network player. You should understand by now that if you are aiming for top sq, your computer, Nas, HDD should be away from your listening room. For ultimate usb network player you really have only handful of choices. Which one to choose, people including me already suggested. Now is your turn to decide.
The problem is that many have conflicted views. That is the problem. The choice above is fanless for the cpu and the hdd makes 21db working.
I haven't heard anything about digital noise from anybody besides you. You can be right of course. What do others think of my choice above. Yay or Nay? If the Shuttle introduces noise in the dac or music then I will disregard it. I want the quality to be at least cd quality.
Tell me precisely which noise would be introduced if I did it the above way? And I am not talking noise from hdd.

Puska

We are not talking about audible noise here but ruther about computer pollution transfered via USB cable from computer to DAC. This pollution is generated by fan CPU and other components. Please read and learn about it.

Top Bottom