• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a streamer with Intel Nuc/how

OP
B

Bliman

I am so confused. It seems like a web.
I shall try to list here and would you please say if my thinking is right and what you would choose.

-1:
A Shuttle DS10U see here https://minipc.eu/computers/zelf-samenstellen/micro-pc/shuttle-ds10u
Onboard - Intel Celeron 4205U (2x 1.80 GHz)
Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM CL15 (2666
2TB SATA3 2.5" HDD
Price: 391€
I would use it next to my equipment upstairs connect it with USB to My RME ADI DAC and use my computer downstairs to load my music wireless to the 2TB HDD. Possible min point the 5400rpm hdd. Positive: direct connection to the dac
-2:
The same as above but then with a 120GB SSD for only Daphile or so. And a Synology DS218J 4T Nas connected downstairs see here https://www.amazon.de/dp/B077DFW4SQ...ds=Synology+DS218J&qid=1582045688&sr=8-3&th=1
Total price: 706€
I would set the NAS downstairs connected to the router and set the best media server on the NAS. And stream the audio wirelessly to the Shuttle which is connected to the RME DAC by USB. Negative: Price,no direct connection with the storage Positive: certainly no noise, great storage.
ALLO DIGIONE SIGNATURE Network audio Player Raspberry 3B+ DigiOne interface Pre-installed Volumio Black
See here https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...face-pre-installed-volumio-black-p-13276.html I would again need a NAS I think downstairs.
Total price with Synology NAS : 728 € .
Negative: Price, no direct connection, Raspberryneeds 2 power supplies Positive: Volumio preinstalled, storage, certainly no noise.
Sotm sMS-200 see here: https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/
Needs a Nas again I think
Total price 918 €

So please could you tell me if my thinking is good? I also don't get why my thinking of a NUC is way to extreme. Only the first offering that is a sort of NUC is the cheapest. And even if I go for raspberry pi the price goes up greatly.
What am I missing? What should you do? Like I often hear raspberry pi here , but don't you have in mind something like I stated here?
I hope to get more clarity. Because it is just getting more confusing.
And as always thanks for the help.

captain paranoia

See my last post. You are massively over-complicating this, and over-specifying it.

1) check your router to see if it provides NAS functions
2) buy a cheap RPi, secondhand, if need be
3) download and install Volumio
4) connect your DAC to a USB port on the RPi
5) configure Volumio
6) control Volumio from any device on your network running a web browser. Enjoy music.

Volumio is free. It is easy to install onto a uSD card. Stick that card into the RPi and turn the RPi on.

https://volumio.org/get-started/

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
See my last post. You are massively over-complicating this, and over-specifying it.

1) check your router to see if it provides NAS functions
2) buy a cheap RPi, secondhand, if need be
3) download and install Volumio
4) connect your DAC to a USB port on the RPi
5) configure Volumio
6) control Volumio from any device on your network running a web browser. Enjoy music.

Agreed. And a NAS is generally only necessary if you are storing video or a truly massive amount of FLAC for streaming to multiple locations .

Puska

Connecting your hi quality and experience DAC to a piace of sh. Rpi and via terrible sounding usb is....

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Pi 4 (4GB for the sake of argument, probably not necessary) £54
FLIRC case £16
uSD card £10
PSU (assuming you don't have a spare usb-c phone charger) £7
2TB USB3 HDD £64
Connect the HDD to one of the USB3 ports, and your RME to another USB port.

That's functionally equivalent to your option 1 for £151 (give or take rounding errors) from cpc.farnell.com. Stick Volumio, PiCorePlayer, Moode, Rune or similar on it.
If you find the hdd is too noisy then spend an extra £87 on the 1st four parts. Move the set with the HDD out of the room - it's now functioning as your NAS / media server. The new bits are the client/player, connected to your RME by USB. Worst case that's less than just your Shuttle or NUC. If you want to spend more that's up to you.

Darkweb

You’re getting a lot of penny wise and pound foolish advice.

Buy any old fanless PC and pony up the $100 for Roon. Point Roon at your music files. Connect said PC to your DAC via USB.

Control Roon with an iPad and enjoy the seamless Tidal or Qobuz integration, as well as the most intuitive and data rich interface of any of the music apps.

Daverz

Major Contributor
You’re getting a lot of penny wise and pound foolish advice.

Buy any old fanless PC and pony up the $100 for Roon. Point Roon at your music files. Connect said PC to your DAC via USB.

Control Roon with an iPad and enjoy the seamless Tidal or Qobuz integration, as well as the most intuitive and data rich interface of any of the music apps.

$119 a year. Please tell me I'm wrong about that. Paying $119 a year to play my own music files off my own equipment in my own home?

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

WesParker

It's not just about streaming. You have to get the data on there as well as back it up somewhere else. I don't know where you're getting those figures for the Nighthawk from. The read figure exceeds the maximum theoretical throughput of 1GbE by a factor of 2. Here's what I found...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/175-ntfs-read-usb-3-0/35
USB 3.0 has throughput that is 5x1GB Ethernet. Also, that router is latest WiFi tech which easily exceeds 1GB Ethernet, and it has a wired multigig port at 5GB Ethernet standard.. All of this fairly moot since a 100MB connection would be plenty for this application.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Worth every penny.

For some. If you simply want one app to control local files and Qobuz BubbleUPnP will do for free well enough. Additional features are great but not everyone values them

Darkweb

For some. If you simply want one app to control local files and Qobuz BubbleUPnP will do for free well enough. Additional features are great but not everyone values them
This guy doesn’t sound like the type who appreciates products with “UPnP” in the title or other fly by night crap that rarely “just works” the way Roon does.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
This guy doesn’t sound like the type who appreciates products with “UPnP” in the title or other fly by night crap that rarely “just works” the way Roon does.

Unfortunate geek name but nothing fly by night about it, and I've used Roon as well. On Audirvana mostly now which is fine too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
For me it's worse than that - it offers nothing I'd use that I don't already have, and takes away things I do use. If it does what you want then by all means use it, and you can use the Pi as a Roon endpoint.

Daverz

Major Contributor

Clever of Roon to tap the market of folks who don't feel confident about a home music server unless they can pay at least $700 for it. Now that I think about it, in a world of $250k amplifiers, there's probably a market for a much more expensive service.

Last edited:

captain paranoia

Frankly, this thread now contains more nonsense than those I'd expect to see on audiophoolery sites.

I'm out. Best of luck to the OP.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get fed up of seeing recommendations for people to spend a lot of money on unnecessarily over-specified solutions.

I agree, but I don't consider a low spec NUC with small HDD running Daphile to be an over-specified solution. It's small, cheap, self-contained, has full setup instructions available and doesn't require additional hardware like a high powered router or separate NAS.

Top Bottom