• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just heard on the Beeb -- GM's thrown in the towel on the Holden brand in Australia

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Probably no surprise, but sad news nonetheless.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51499775

1581950230733.png

Webninja

Forum Donor
I was sad to hear as my buddy has a Chevy SS (Holden), and I was fascinated to find out Holden is over 150 years old. Partnered with GM since the 1930s. Many great cars over the years with some insane hp.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't they do insane traffic tickets in Oz? Would make a big V8 kind of painful if you can't use it at all.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Don't they do insane traffic tickets in Oz? Would make a big V8 kind of painful if you can't use it at all.

It's the main street exhaust note and attention the hoons go for.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's the main street exhaust note and attention the hoons go for.

Ah that's what you guys call them down there... here we just call them "Americans". :cool:
And yes, I resemble that remark... though I try to keep it under 2K RPM and with the valves closed if driving through neighborhoods... especially after dark. Other than that...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Ah that's what you guys call them down there... here we just call them "Americans". :cool:
And yes, I resemble that remark... though I try to keep it under 2K RPM and with the valves closed if driving through neighborhoods... especially after dark. Other than that...

Now that's a car.

My son and his wife have a Nissan R35 Stagea manual station wagon, with 'the works' - a real Q car(rare in oz). The only give away for non-Nissan GTR tragics are those large exhaust pipes at the back - rather inconspicuous for on-street parking at their inner city/suburb location Nice to transport the greyhound 'kids' around and use the many mode FWD/AWD on trips to the ski-fields. :)

Stagea

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Now that's a car.

My son and his wife have a Nissan R35 Stagea station wagon, with 'the works' - a real Q car(rare in oz). The only give away for non-Nissan GTR tragics are those large exhaust pipes at the back. Nice to transport the greyhound 'kids' around and use the many mode FWD/AWD on trips to the ski-fields.
Oh wow... that would one of my dream cars due to it's "stealth nature" (well and the insane rarity here). Unfortunately the difficulty in not only finding a decent one, but the hassles in importing one made me give up (for now at least). I love all forms of drag-wagon... there's just something special about them.
This one made me drool excessively (and was sold for a ridiculously low price as well):

On topic, it's sad but not too surprising... after GM dropped the Pontiac brand here, I figured there wasn't much time left for Holden either.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Oh wow... that would one of my dream cars due to it's "stealth nature" (well and the insane rarity here). Unfortunately the difficulty in not only finding a decent one, but the hassles in importing one made me give up (for now at least). I love all forms of drag-wagon... there's just something special about them.
This one made me drool excessively (and was sold for a ridiculously low price as well):

On topic, it's sad but not too surprising... after GM dropped the Pontiac brand here, I figured there wasn't much time left for Holden either.

That is the one. There is a dealer here who imports impeccable used Japanese sports models and covers all the local certification red tape and sells at a fair price. I wish I was young again :) Ironically the Stagea insurance is much much less than a Skyline coupe equivalent. You may have to tolerate the occasional "is that a Volvo?" comment.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd happily take a Toyota GR Yaris over any bloated toad of a Holden. A tiny, 2822lbs, AWD, 268HP, turbocharged, 1.6L 3-cylinder? Yaaas!

Holden is dead because they didn't make cars people really wanted.

Also, utes are hideous. I'd rather pull a trailer behind a Miata.

gikigill

I'd happily take a Toyota GR Yaris over any bloated toad of a Holden. A tiny, 2822lbs, AWD, 268HP, turbocharged, 1.6L 3-cylinder? Yaaas!

Holden is dead because they didn't make cars people really wanted.

Also, utes are hideous. I'd rather pull a trailer behind a Miata.

You,re right about Holden but wrong about Utes.

I once kept a LS3 Maloo R8 and what it lacks in looks, it makes up in poke. Super-fun car to drive and I assure you I never hauled anything in it.

I am for the first time in my life considering a Toyota, especially the GRMN. It will replace my current hot-hatch, a tuned Clio V6 which is great for that occasional hoon and putting bigger cars in their place. A few GTI owners have been given a unwelcome surprise in that car.

It needs to be no bigger than a shoe, low roof, float like a butterfly and minimum 250hp.

Top Bottom