• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There was a Harley dealer a couple of miles from me near Abingdon. They are VERY expensive but very fashionable with older riders here. The dealer has closed now, though that may because it was successful and moved to a better location.

According to Google Maps, there are only 3 Harley dealers in all of Greater London, and only another few in the surrounding "Home Counties." I am surprised that it's so very few dealers, although I suppose they are somewhat "oddball." I can remember the odd occasion on long distance travels of coming across large "biker gangs" (?) of 100 of more Harley riders, though.

Google Maps "thinks" that the Harley UK HQ is in Oxford, and there is a dealer in Abingdon, just off the A34, that certainly was there in May 2019 (Streetview.)

xr100

[I have never been to a drive-in, and I haven't the faintest clue where the nearest one would even have existed.]Sunnyside Drive-In, Fresno.

That's more than 5000 miles away from where I am... I don't think that would have been the nearest location. :);)

Saw Woodstock there when it came out. "Passion Pits", they were called. Bad sound, usually a low-cost second run theater with prints worn from the first run. The most likely spot to watch a Roger Corman flick. Now it's mostly a flea market on weekends.

Ah, forgot about the print distribution hierarchy--the use of "second run" prints further explains the reputation of substandard image quality.

How was the sound provided? I gather transmitted so that it could be received via the in-car stereo, or via "clip on" speakers?

I saw "The Other Side of the Wind" for the 11th time last night. It's Orson Welles' autofiction about a washed-up, old-school Hollywood Movie Director's last hurrah. The movie's last image is of his unfinished film being projected at a drive-in:

View attachment 50733

Oh dear. That looks like a distinctly non-luxurious venue!

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice post on movie theaters, xr100, thanks. A favorite subject of mine!

I'm a movie nut and I did an extensive, intricate renovation to produce a projection-based home theater room. It's quite cool: acoustically beautiful sounding, a large 12 foot wide top quality screen with automated 4-way masking, so the screen actually can change in to any shape or size to accommodate various movie aspect ratios. I use a JVC projector that has the highest contrast ever measured for a projector, and the room has black velvet curtains that pull around all the walls to create a "black box" effect which maximizes image contrast/quality and makes the room "disappear" so you just have this big immersive image floating in front of you. And of course, a very nice surround sound system.

What I'm leading up to is that friends and guests who watch movies in the room freak out. They've never experienced anything like it in a home and they all say the same thing: If I had this in my home I'd never go out to the movies again. Why would you?

And when I tell them I still prefer movie theaters many are somewhat baffled.

But I do. Almost every time. Why? I'm generally not a home-body. I like getting out, having experiences. I grew up with going to the movies as one of the most exciting things in my life. I spent lots of time in those huge line-ups for the opening of the original Star Wars movie, all Spielberg's movies, really all the cultural phenomenon movies. It was a ball being surrounded by the buzz of people who were just as eager as I was to see the movie.

I still find that sitting watching on a giant screen in a dark room full of people all there to commune on the same experience, plus the getting out of the house thing, is a richer overall movie-watching experience for me. Contrary to what some guests presume, and to how many home theater addicts think, I didn't build my home theater as a replacement for movie-going, but as a fall-back for all those movies I couldn't see in the cinema (either new, or classic).

That goes even for drive in movie theaters which are, technically/objectively crap compared to my professionally calibrated high-contrast home theater.

Which, in my mind, relates to a point I've been making...

Hmm, I'm not quite seeing how this is analogous to vinyl, though.
As a primary means of regularly listening to music? Hmm.

If the system was the one that gave you the most joy with your music, why wouldn't it be the primary listening system?

Like going out to the movies, the whole experience of buying and owning and interacting with a physical music collection, and using a turntable etc, creates a richer overall experience that makes me keep going back to it, even over the technically superior digital experience.

I used to go to movies with my best friend. I was a "people guy" who loved going out. He was a "get off my lawn" guy who bedgrudged anyone for impeding his experience. In movie theaters I'd be absorbed in the movie and I'd be shocked out of my seat as he inevitably yelled at some guy opening a snack three rows away to "keep it down!" Eventually we always had to sit at the very back of the theater, lest anyone end up behind us distracting my friend. And then eventually only mid or late day shows, with the fewest people in the theater. Finally, we just stopped going to movies together. I wanted more "normal" movie going and engagement, his sensitivity went the other way to where he just found going out to movies intolerable.

And so, with vinyl, people's sensitivities...and hence evaluations...are going to vary. I don't like noisy vinyl and have no romantic feelings for crackle and pops. At the same time I am sure that I'm less distracted or bothered by some of the noise than some here; where I'd be focusing on the "good" things I like about the music and sound quality, others would be sensitized to the record noise and say "no thanks!"

So which is the "right" way to enjoy music? It seems to me: The one in which you personally enjoy it most. Which will vary of course in what one person zeros in on as important to them, or intolerable to them, vs someone else.

For me the overall experience of listening to my music via a physical vinyl collection isn't just a little better...it's MUCH more engaging and fun.
That makes it an entirely rational, justifiable pursuit, just like someone for whom driving a motorcycle engages them more than driving a car.

As to sound quality, I've gone through that a lot before here. But as I've said, though the technical fudges required to get music on and off vinyl would seem on paper to give digital a huge sonic advantage, in practice, generally speaking, I don't find the divide between vinyl (good vinyl) and digital so wide. In fact, I often enjoy and prefer some of the vinyl. Today I compared my digital copy of Rush's 2112 with the re-mastered vinyl release and there was no big obvious sonic benefit in the digital version. In fact, I actually preferred the sound of the LP version. (Seemed more present and punchy). And it's not like I'm coming to this with cloth ears. I'm a lifelong audiophile and I have worked for 30 years in professional sound, and I've always had top of the line digital playback for my music. A lot of the time I'm spinning vinyl I'm not suffering sonically for my nostalgia; I'm hearing damned impressive and engaging sound quality too! I simply would not be buying much vinyl if the sound quality were routinely obviously sup-par or unsatisfying. But with my vinyl collection I find I get both the physical fun and my jones for good sound satisfied.
(And I still very much enjoy my digital music too...which I was listening to as well today).

Cheers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As someone who's fallen off every motorcycle he's ever ridden, I don't 'like' motorcycles. The noise, the discomfort and the pain when I fall off. Consequently, I liken motorcycles to banging one's head against a wall....great when you stop.

Nevertheless there are those who enjoy them, but then there are those who enjoy sky diving, rock climbing, Disneyland rides and even horn loudspeakers and valve amplifiers. Mad, the lot of them.

S
If your scared, go to church. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How was the sound provided? I gather transmitted so that it could be received via the in-car stereo, or via "clip on" speakers?
Yep, little clip-on speakers that were wired. You had to make sure you didn't park by a speaker who's wires had been ripped in half thru some mis-adventure.. Of course the movie was really not the point of a drive-in. I for sure spent more time having sex than watching any movies there.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The most likely spot to watch a Roger Corman flick.

At MIT circa 1970 I considered it my piece de resistance to screen every Corman film in a mini-festival , I couldn't find a print of Ski Troop Attack and one other film but covered all the rest.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You have to live on the edge to appreciate life.
And also cross the edge now and then to know where it's at. o_O

You are entitled to your opinion and you clearly have one.

Crazy_Nate

Since we really want to talk about motorcycles...one doesn't have to go recklessly fast to appreciate the freedom that a motorcycle provides. Some of us choose to do so, off road, at our own risk (with mostly worrying about sandy washes, rocks, trees, falling off trail, etc). Yeah, it hurts, but you learn from your mistakes and as long as you aren't too risky, you can generally walk away. Although all my bikes are road legal, I prefer to be in control of my situation to the extent that I can. The amount of inattentive / distracted drivers is growing and trail riding keeps me away from that.

I also like mountain bikes, too. You kinda have to give it a try before writing it off 2 wheeled contraptions. :)

PS. There are fairly quiet exhaust systems...and earplugs. Priorities, I guess.

Robin L

Master Contributor
At MIT circa 1970 I considered it my piece de resistance to screen every Corman film in a mini-festival , I couldn't find a print of Ski Troop Attack and one other film but covered all the rest.
Gassssssssss?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was young I rode motorcycles. Had a lot of crazy fun and did a lot of stupid things. But that's kids for you. Problem is, once you get older your reflexes slow down (among other things). You think you can still do it, but your kidding yourself. It's like that Little Feat lyric: ...you know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

For the older set, you can always get a Jeep, take the doors and top off, etc. Probably not kill yourself. LOL

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's more than 5000 miles away from where I am... I don't think that would have been the nearest location. :);)

Ah, forgot about the print distribution hierarchy--the use of "second run" prints further explains the reputation of substandard image quality.

Oh dear. That looks like a distinctly non-luxurious venue!
Not sure there were ever "drive ins" in the UK, certainly none where I was brought up. Most Brits couldn't afford cars as young as Americans could.
I did go to a drive in near Milwaukee when I was an exchange student in 1970. The sound came from a little speaker hooked over the side window iirc. It was a unique experience.
A friend of mine decided to make his home theatre a bit like an American drive in, it is inside and has proper surround sound but you sit in a Cadillac convertible to watch the film...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was young I rode motorcycles. Had a lot of crazy fun and did a lot of stupid things. But that's kids for you. Problem is, once you get older your reflexes slow down (among other things). You think you can still do it, but your kidding yourself. It's like that Little Feat lyric: ...you know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

For the older set, you can always get a Jeep, take the doors and top off, etc. Probably not kill yourself. LOL
I stopped riding 'bikes soon after I became a Dad. I fell of a Ducati Darmah I was evaluating as part of designing the Hesketh motorbike and decided being a Dad was going to be fun I didn't want to cut short. I am massively enjoying being grandad now :)

xr100

Not sure there were ever "drive ins" in the UK

Me either, although I thought there might be at least one or two somewhere, but a brief bit of "research" suggests none ever existed, at least not on a permanent basis. I suppose it makes since given that enclosed cinemas were everywhere.

A friend of mine decided to make his home theatre a bit like an American drive in, it is inside and has proper surround sound but you sit in a Cadillac convertible to watch the film...

Oh dear! What was he thinking?!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me either, although I thought there might be at least one or two somewhere, but a brief bit of "research" suggests none ever existed, at least not on a permanent basis. I suppose it makes since given that enclosed cinemas were everywhere.

Oh dear! What was he thinking?!
He is a great character and this is typical. He is a world renowned designer.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Top Bottom