• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist Youtube Channels?

knobtwiddler

Hi,

We all know there are about a thousand YT channels where subjectivist opinion is propagated, but is there anyone out there who's strictly covering audio from a scientific perspective? And if so, do they have more than 9 people and a dog following them?

TIA.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Who cares about attention whores on camera? "Objective" audio is all about data - graphics - so text with images is the only proper format for it.
About 3 billion hours are spent watching youtube every month. So I'm guessing a lot of people care ;) Video reviews don't have to be about pruning on camera. There's a lot of quality content out there. I could see a person talking about the measurement results, their meaning, the different features and showing the gear in use. All quite hepful, imo.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like Impulse Audio. He takes science seriously. Also, he is a skilled woodworker and speaker designer. And generally a very friendly guy whom I enjoy watching.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I restrict my Youtube to mainly food related channels. The audio stuff is usually boring no matter which way it goes.

OP
K

knobtwiddler

I restrict my Youtube to mainly food related channels. The audio stuff is usually boring no matter which way it goes.

I agree that about 99% of it is boring (mainly because it's personal opinion, posted by the same type of people). However, there is the occasional gem - John Atkinson's recent articulation of why measurements matter being one of them.

While I am in complete agreement about the whole Youtube narcissist thing, I do think there's a place for it in audio. You can say in 5 minutes what it'd take an hour to write down. It has all kinds of advantages in theory. In reality, yes - it's full of egomaniacs and bearded weirdos.

It's very depressing to think that subjectivist channels have tens of thousands of followers, yet the ASR channel has 2 dogs and 59 humans. I would've thought it would be interesting if Amir made a video showing an item being tested. It would also prove that the testing is straight, keeping disputes to a minimum.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It would also prove that the testing is straight, keeping disputes to a minimum.

A video doesn't do that nearly as well as sharing AP project files, which Amir has cheerfully done on request.

matgir99

Hi,

We all know there are about a thousand YT channels where subjectivist opinion is propagated, but is there anyone out there who's strictly covering audio from a scientific perspective? And if so, do they have more than 9 people and a dog following them?

TIA.
hi,
I find it difficult too to find a youtube channel which evaluates things properly, through bot subjectivist and objectivist points of view.
however i found a video done by new record day with gr research in which they try to fix a klipsch rp8000 speaker and it seems they do it "properly".
You may want to give it a try.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am a huge consumer of youtube so I definitely see the need. There is an entirely different audience than those who read websites. I wanted to do some reviews in video but haven't had the time.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
hi,
I find it difficult too to find a youtube channel which evaluates things properly, through bot subjectivist and objectivist points of view.
however i found a video done by new record day with gr research in which they try to fix a klipsch rp8000 speaker and it seems they do it "properly".
You may want to give it a try.
I watch this channel from time to time but wouldn’t recommend it. It is really controversial.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am a huge consumer of youtube so I definitely see the need. There is an entirely different audience than those who read websites. I wanted to do some reviews in video but haven't had the time.

metal571 is semi-objective. He does frequency swipes of headphones before reviewing them. :)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a terrible youtube channel, and while I consider myself a subjectivist, the channel is subjective as I don't have measurements.

I do focus on complaining however, which seems rare for people on Youtube. If I made more time, I'd have done critical reviews of all the speakers I've purchased and returned.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I can recommend avrant. It is basically a podcast with YouTube streams. I find it entertaining and educational. You can learn a lot about audio and video of home theaters. Each episode is a two hour question and answer session. I really trust these guys, even though I might not agree with everything they say. Most advice is based on facts and extensive experience.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_t-9AiTSf0Rn8IiRIvQqGw

Top Bottom