• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had to make some cables up for the new Gradients, no soldering involved I was still pitiful, a chimpanzee would have been quicker and made a better job of it.
Keith

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to make some cables up for the new Gradients, no soldering involved I was still pitiful, a chimpanzee would have been quicker and made a better job of it.
Keith
I took on a job many moons ago making 2000 RCA interconnects using MIT product. Got real good at it real fast ;)

vitalii427

Forum Donor
AD8E61F4-4CB7-429A-96B0-6A94FA1B5DE3.png

building new dummy load

House de Kris

A hot air rework unit can sometimes resurrect the ribbon-to-glass contacts and give you a working LCD. I've had a decent success over the years.
Good advice, thanks. I gave it a shot today, the display has improved and is almost readable. It's better than it was, but it's still not easy to read. I'll continue to wait for the replacement. The bad news is that I sliced my thumb open on the edge of the glass and didn't even know it until a drop appeared on the display. Wiping off the drop just made a big smear until I looked at my thumb to see the gaping slice.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
Measuring influence of speaker cable to amplitude response.
Blue - at amp output terminals
Brown - behind speaker cable, 6m of 2x4mm2 zip cord, at speaker terminals
Audible or not?

View attachment 48064

That makes a fantastic case for exotic kilobuck cables... I mean, it totally makes sense... you buy the amp for the 77.8dB and spend another similar amount for that last 0.1-0.2dB. Without that, why even bother listening at all! :facepalm: Wait, don't tell me those exotic cables do the same thing?!?!? :oops:

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
That makes a fantastic case for exotic kilobuck cables... I mean, it totally makes sense... you buy the amp for the 77.8dB and spend another similar amount for that last 0.1-0.2dB. Without that, why even bother listening at all! :facepalm: Wait, don't tell me those exotic cables do the same thing?!?!? :oops:

Regardless your ironic tone, the result will simply and only depend on cable impedance, R + jwL, which makes the divider with the speaker impedance. The smaller R and L, the smaller effect to amplitude response. I can make you sure that with the length mentioned, 6m, 2 x 1mm2 will be audibly different from 2 x 4mm2 zip cord. Talking about cable price is pointless.

The effect of cable impedance can be quite easily measured and simulated, so if you can do one or both, you can try. "77.8" number is pointless, it was just there because of SPL calibration. dB is always dB, 0.2dB field was the result.

Comparison of measurement and simulation, but the simulation is for closed box.

BB_modul_CNO_amp_vs_spk.jpg

SIM_CNO_amp_vs_spk.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Regardless your ironic tone, the result will simply and only depend on cable impedance, R + jwL, which makes the divider with the speaker impedance. The smaller R and L, the smaller effect to amplitude response. I can make you sure that with the length mentioned, 6m, 2 x 1mm2 will be audibly different from 2 x 4mm2 zip cord. Talking about cable price is pointless.

The effect of cable impedance can be quite easily measured and simulated, so if you can do one or both, you can try. "77.8" number is pointless, it was just there because of SPL calibration. dB is always dB, 0.2dB field was the result.
I totally agree that talking about cable price is pointless - which was my point. ;) Obviously cheap cables come in all the same gauges as expensive ones. So a 6m length of ~17ga wire vs ~11ga wire? Yeah, I would expect an obvious measurable difference between the two... as far as actually hearing that deviation (even when it's slightly higher than that for much of the lower-mid range...) of that, I'm less convinced.

Not sure that matters regardless, since whether inside or outside the box - if I had to run 6m worth of wire... I'd definitely be using thicker wire than that. Even at 16ga (1.31mm2) much of that difference will disappear. However, I don't think that was your point - so for this matter I'll just say "I'm convinced".

Just please don't ask me to prove I can hear a ~0.2dB deviation between two physical boxes in real life - I'm pretty certain that would have been a herculean task even 30 years ago when I could have at least perceived the entire frequency range in such an attempt. :D

To the original thread topic... just random garbage is all over my workbench (and desk for that matter) - I'm hopeful that I'll again be able to see the surface in another couple days of cleaning. Though there's not going to be any audio gear on it even then... I'm way behind where most of you are in that regard.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Audio Buddy's Audio Cat applied some Audio Cat Piss to his AC power filter thingy.

It opened its PCB mount IEC inlet internally, between the spade and pin.

1580663074244.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Zo = sqrt[ (R+jwL) / (G + jwC) ] to first order -- capacitance can be important too. And alas those equations barely work for RF stuff since everything is distributed and if you go too high in frequency other transmission modes appear.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Audio Buddy's Audio Cat applied some Audio Cat Piss to his AC power filter thingy.

It opened its PCB mount IEC inlet internally, between the spade and pin.

View attachment 48395

Luckily the actual audio quality of the system was not harmed in the process, I assume? I mean other than having lighter blacks now, of course. :cool: I swear some cats know exactly how far they can push the envelope without actually risking their lives in the process. I presume there was much more valuable (both monetarily and sentimentally) possessions in close proximity to the AC filter that would have been far less acceptable to "baptize"!

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Zo = sqrt[ (R+jwL) / (G + jwC) ] to first order -- capacitance can be important too.

Because of values of crossover parts, amp output impedance and all circuit impedances, the capacitance of normal cables makes the smallest difference, it does virtually nothing. Then it is inductance, which affects only highest frequencies. The biggest difference is made by resistance. Should it be cable resistance or connector junctions. Easy to simulate with high precision. That's why thick x thin cables may sound different, it falls to audible resolution.
HF EMI is a different case, depending on overall circuit design and ambient conditions at the particular place.

cable_step_cap.png

cable_step_induct.png

cable_step_res.png

Top Bottom