• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC 374 euro = 415usd for monoblock NC500!

Audiophonics

Dealer
I‘ve recently bought two used PA-S125 XLR amplifier.
Unfortunately, both units are humming as soon as they are connected to power.
Is this normal? Or a sign for a faulty unit? And did the bigger Models also humm?
Would be nice if @Audiophonics could comment on this matter.

We have worked on this problem, even sent back 2 amplifiers to Hypex for testing.
The noise varies between each modules.
It's not on the ouput, but physically generated by the main power input filter coil.
And the small chassis amplify the noise, as it's reduced when the case is opened.

We even sent to hypex 2 identicals assembled units, one that was very quiet, and one where it can be clearly heard when sitting close.
Unfortunately, they can't replace the coil model without doing a new CE cert.
The only way to fix it 100% is to remove the coil, but we can't do that on production.

250 and 500MP modules are less prones to this noise, maybe due to a different coil.

Audiophonics

Dealer
I had to spend quite a bit more just to get units that would fit on my shelf. The @Audiophonics case is hard to understand.

This case has been initially made to receive the NC400 + SMPS600, I couldn't do it shorter.
It must not be forgotten that it's a 500W amplifier module, that requires some thermal dissipation, this free space is not 100% lost as it's acting as an heatsink.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I‘ve recently bought two used PA-S125 XLR amplifier.
Unfortunately, both units are humming as soon as they are connected to power.
Is this normal? Or a sign for a faulty unit? And did the bigger Models also humm?
Would be nice if @Audiophonics could comment on this matter.

I guess the best would be to connect them on a power bar and turn it off when you don't listen to music. It is the proof that electrcity is used even while asleep, and your $$$ go in the wind.

During listening sessions, there's nothing you can do except turn the volume up I guess.

Audiophonics

Dealer
I guess the best would be to connect them on a power bar and turn it off when you don't listen to music. It is the proof that electrcity is used even while asleep, and your $$$ go in the wind.

During listening sessions, there's nothing you can do except turn the volume up I guess.

Yes, stanby consumption is rated at 0.12W.
We planned to switch them to a bigger case that will have both soft and hard switch buttons.

During listening sessions you don't hear them, you have to be in very quiet environment and close from them.

EB1000

Is this better than the NC400? According to specs, it isn't. So why NC500, which implies a higher model than NC400?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this better than the NC400?
Nope. More powerful, but more distortion.

So why NC500, which implies a higher model than NC400?

NC400 = 400W/4Ω
NC500MP = 500W/4Ω
NC250MP = 250W/4Ω etc...

NC1200 OEM = 1200W/2Ω
NC500 OEM = 550W/4Ω (Yep, it should have been called NC550...)

Last edited:

Audiophonics

Dealer
With the larger chassis, a biamp model with 1x 250/500MP, 1x HF100, & 2x XLR sure would be interesting!

It's possible but you will need 2 of them for the stereo ?
Into HPA chassis we could even fit 2x250/500 + 2xHF100.
250 + HF100 may fit in the chassis above with little modification.

NC500 OEM = 550W/4Ω (Yep, it should have been called NC550...)

Even 700W / 4Ω if I follow the datasheet.
But limited to 600W if using one SMPS1200 for 2 modules.

I checked how many configurations could be done into the HPA chassis from 2 to 4 channels, it's around 30 :oops:

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Into HPA chassis we could even fit 2x250/500 + 2xHF100.
How would price compare to using the same modules in two of the smaller chassis?

If costs are similar, I personally prefer a separate box for each speaker. This allows shorter speaker cables, more flexibility, less offline if 1 module faults...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the cost is almost same between 2 profile chassis, or the big assembled one.
Because the big one have heatsinks, thick panels, plain aluminium corners and is pretty long to assemble.
How does the trigger work on that model?

Audiophonics

Dealer
It's same for all MP models.
Both DC sockets are connected together, when applying 5 to 12V both modules will be activated.
And the free socket can be used to connect another amplifier.

They could be connected so that each socket activates a module, but it's not done like that as standard.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Thanks for the summary.
We just updated MPA-S252NC to MPA-S250NC, because it was a mistake.

PA / MPA / HPA is chassis base (PA for power amplifier in case we will do some integrated ones)
M / S / (T / Q) for one to 4 channels
125, 250, 500 for power under 4ohm
NC for NCore.

We tried to code the amplifier configuration to give a name for each, but there will be a problem when we will release the NC500 OEM one :)
You've sent a couple of your DACs to Amir for testing in the past. Any chance you could send an amp such as the MPA-S250NC? This looks like all the amp that most of us would ever need at a price that looks too good to be true!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's same for all MP models.
Both DC sockets are connected together, when applying 5 to 12V both modules will be activated.
And the free socket can be used to connect another amplifier.

They could be connected so that each socket activates a module, but it's not done like that as standard.
Thanks. This allows to chain the amps so all good.
But what do you mean by "activate" the modules? Does that mean they wake up from sleeping mode when there's current or, on the contrary, is it that the modules are totally turned off when there's no current as if the amp was off the socket?

Other question: is it possible to add a Trigger output component on a DAC or a pre-amp? Because not so many DAC have a Trigger output.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dac-preamp-with-trigger.8387/page-2

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You've sent a couple of your DACs to Amir for testing in the past. Any chance you could send an amp such as the MPA-S250NC? This looks like all the amp that most of us would ever need at a price that looks too good to be true!
Amir told me he will get in contact with them, they are up for sending some amplifiers (I emailed them suggesting them to do so). Don't know what the status is. I prefer the 500w mono's to be tested. I also think the stereo case is ugly :D.

Last edited:

Audiophonics

Dealer

We can send him an amp if he wants, but he's generally very busy.
And these amps are not very customized, maybe it will be more interesting for NC500OEM / ET400 models.

But what do you mean by "activate" the modules? Does that mean they wake up from sleeping mode when there's current or, on the contrary, is it that the modules are totally turned off when there's no current as if the amp was off the socket?

Other question: is it possible to add a Trigger output component on a DAC or a pre-amp? Because not so many DAC have a Trigger output.

There are not totally turned off, but in standby mode (0.12W).
It's surely possible on several DACs, but you have to find a 5 to 12V supply inside that is not permanent and wire it to the 3.5 jack.

I also think the stereo case is ugly :D.

If you have objective reproachs to do about the chassis here or in PM feel free to give your opinion.
It can help to improve things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom