• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ultimately you hear what you hear. But I am curious if there's any research on this. Lots of people swear by their towers, but I think the tiny devialet reactors are some of the "biggest" sounding speakers I've heard, for instance.

Yeah, I haven't seen any research on it either. Subjectively, I usually get this when comparing smaller monitors to my Magnepan 1.7i. It can't entirely be a directivity thing -- the vertical directivity on the MG1.7i is terrible, definitely much worse than the KH80. Just standing up maybe 0.5m from listening position completely changes the frequency response in an instantly audible way. Not so with the KH80.

I know Amir and others have said that Magnepans make music "sound big", "tall" etc and I don't know what, if anything, that corresponds to in terms of measurements. Maybe it is related to the dipole effect and the way that blankets the room in reflections, and less so the physical size. I did read something in some other thread about how adding certain types of noise subjectively improves "stereo spaciousness".

However, I don't always experience this. If I close my eyes for long enough and switch back and forth between speakers, the illusion sometimes goes away. That's why I wonder if it's really just sighted bias, or partially so.

That's all a bit off-topic though. I agree the KH80 and JBL are close enough in size that it shouldn't have much effect, but I'm sure that's far from the only type of sighted bias...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We have all those goal, but testing loudspeaker isn't a simple "monodimensional" thing like testing electronics, as it depends on too many variables.
So far it is actually less dimensional than electronics. Frequency response is so dominant in speakers that it dwarfs all other dimensions. You can measurebate to death of course in either field but that wouldn't be scientific.

The fastest way to get confused about speakers is to drill too deep. This material for woofer, that material for the case. This idea about timing and that idea about something else. It all boils down to one thing: what did you spread on and off-axis. Very simple and linear idea of sound unlike the very complex things in electronics such as jitter, audibility of noise and distortion, etc.

The challenge with it is that measuring speakers is resource intensive and potentially very expensive. Not because it is multidimensional. If you are designing one, that would be true but not to evaluation for listening fidelity.

Habu

Hello from France

Thank you for this review Amir.
For hifi listening test, the direct contender the LSR305P (5‘ woofer) should be the KH120 (5’1/4), instead of the smaller KH80 (4’ woofer).
This speaker is designed for mobile « pro use in recording and mixing (your words...) » The first video is the studio in a Box...
I really prefer the solid aluminium case of the KH120 to the composite polycarbonate of the KH80.

Sincerely yours
Habu

884359B6-B4B8-42EB-A90A-ADC0A4B5A67D.jpeg

Getting Better Studio Sound, KH 80 DSP - Part 1: Basic Monitoring Setup

Getting Better Studio Sound - Part 2: The Neumann.Control App for iPad®

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I too wonder about this - is there any research on whether a "bigger" speaker, given similar frequency response, actually sounds "bigger"? I have not, anecdotally, experienced this to be the case, but I know many people have.

I can see how a 50" tower might sound bigger than say, a Sonos One. But I do not think the 305P and Neumann are different enough in size for that to be noticeable as an actual physical phenomenon (aside from things like frequency response and transient response, etc)

Ultimately you hear what you hear. But I am curious if there's any research on this. Lots of people swear by their towers, but I think the tiny devialet reactors are some of the "biggest" sounding speakers I've heard, for instance.

Its the power output that the transducers are designed to transmit rather than just pure size if alternative technologies are considered.

The Wankel engine in a Mazda is tiny when compared to a typical V6 3 liter that it competes against in terms of power. But it has a fuel consumption thats very similar to a V6 3 liter. Its similar with the Devialat.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But still the "dumb" old filter worked quite well in most cases as their average measurement from 69 test samples showed:

I based my office speaker eq off the same paper. Very useful. Measured results in my room were very close to this. Another benefit is that the eq was very simple to implement in both eapo (pc) or uapp (tablet+otg cable). Made a significant improvement in the sound of the office system.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this wonderful endeavor into speaker testing, Amir. I was considering Neumann based on their measurements, but it seems like the crossover dip is more audible than we thought.

In general I think I have a different preference for overall tonality than you, Amir. Any form of rising response in the higher range (listening window averaged) gives me the sensation of a cold and sizzling sound.

I think it would be interesting if you could "calibrate" your preference in blind testing with a neutral speaker EQ'd to flat listening window vs a slightly raised elevation like the Lsr305. Not important since any smooth-dispersion speaker can be tonally adjusted to taste, but knowing your preference could possibly help us read into whether or not the tonality itself is the reason for a certain subjective experience you may have.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So far it is actually less dimensional than electronics. Frequency response is so dominant in speakers that it dwarfs all other dimensions. You can measurebate to death of course in either field but that wouldn't be scientific.

The fastest way to get confused about speakers is to drill too deep. This material for woofer, that material for the case. This idea about timing and that idea about something else. It all boils down to one thing: what did you spread on and off-axis. Very simple and linear idea of sound unlike the very complex things in electronics such as jitter, audibility of noise and distortion, etc.
That is true for consumer class loudspeakers like usually Harman compares (tests like Revel vs. Magnepan or B&W :p) but when the level gets higher like with top of the line studio monitors and/or your use EQ to correct little imperfections then hearable problems like IMD play a bigger roller than expected.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. From the paper:
View attachment 46881

One-third octave is not useful for low frequency optimization. It completely mispredicts real room response. From Dr. Toole:

View attachment 46884

1/3 octave is useful for overall target curve (even there 1/6th octave may be more useful) but not in low frequencies. It hides way too much.
Generally I agree, but a wide average based filter there is still better than nothing and to show that an example of my own listening position measurement of a Genelec monitor placed behind and a bit higher (as this is better than placing directly) from the desk, no smoothing:

1.jpg

Due to the desk there is a peak almost 150 Hz as expected.

To show the influence of a "dumb" generic filter I take the average values of the Genelec paper, so a different mid frequency (146 Hz), 3.5 dB attenuation and a relatively wide Q factor of 3.23:

2.jpg

As it can be seen the peak is still there as it isn't perfectly fit but lower in amplitude, but the important thing is that our perception isn't like that but rather psychoacoustic smoothing (which is approx. 1/3rd octave in the lower region) and with it looks quite nicer (I added also one of the Harman target curves for comparison):

3.jpg

(the dip is at 80 Hz is an unfortunate SBIR cancelation)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, there is slight variation in high frequencies:

----
9.00 kHz: +0.182 dB
11.80 kHz: +0.454 dB
15.17 kHz: +0.566 dB
18.77 kHz: +0.601 dB
19.55 kHz: -1.00 dB

So it takes just 5 measurements between 9K and 19.5KHz?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add, I use these as desktop speakers, listening distance 2-3ft. Absolutely silent, no hiss or hum whatsoever audible.
The only hiss is as previously stated, if I really get my ear into the waveguide, there is a barely audible hiss (which I had never heard until I just tried getting my ear right in there).
The absence of hiss in the KH80DSP and its presence in the JBL 305p MK2 (which is the reason why it's so cheap now IMO) can be a decisive point for very near-field listening.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this wonderful endeavor into speaker testing, Amir. I was considering Neumann based on their measurements, but it seems like the crossover dip is more audible than we thought.

If i understand correctly, Amir´s measurement can´t be trusted in this matter because he used a wrong reference point for the acoustical axis. Is that right? If it is true, think it would be helpful if @amirm adds a comment about this to the initial post or measure again.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL 305P MKII Preference Rating
SCORE: 4.36
SCORE ignoring LFX: 6.43

They are very similar except for Smoothness of the Predicted In-Room; however, when looking at the smoothness graphs, they are both very smooth; the only way I can think of as to why it has a score thats ~1/2 as good for Smoothness is the tonal balance, the target slope wants a slope-down, whereas the JBL is almost flat. Now, Amir listened to these on a desk I believe, so that is likely the reason he preferred the wider soundstage; the preference rating is for a listening room. Or, my formula is borked somehow that I can't see (but my formulation matches the one that's generated via the graph).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MDuE6hFfo9pofi2063s6IXqYcxtXMph8gqLLkL9X8pA/edit?usp=sharing

KH80 Radar:
View attachment 46860

305P MKII Radar
View attachment 46861

KH80 Smoothness:
View attachment 46862

305P MKII Smoothness
View attachment 46863
Is this rating on a scale of 1-10? With 1 being a terrible speaker and 10 the perfect one?

vavan

Pretty sure floor standers will not do well at closed in listening and yet better at beyond 3 meters compared to say a 4 inch driver bookshelf, regardless of how smooth and how well its directivity is implemented
my MLP is at ~2.10m from f208s and I tend to use some basic PEQ correction to alleviate somewhat excessive energy at mid to high frequencies and bring it closer to harman target curve

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this rating on a scale of 1-10? With 1 being a terrible speaker and 10 the perfect one?
There is no mention of what the highest (best) score is; but it is likely 10.

The regular calculation is not affected by that, but the scoring ignoring LFX and the radar charts are using that assumption.

urfaust

My guess is the Jbl sounds at least as good because of the more sloping in room response, and additional thump due to the larger woofer. I ve heard the KH120 it sounded good, flat but not very exciting to listen to (which is not really what you look for in a monitor anyway).

Pio2001

Yes, so shouldn't that mean we should be careful about our reference axis?

But what does mean a reference axis for near field holographic measurement ? All axis are measured.
It means that the software is going to choose a given curve among others to display. I'm not sure that this curve is chosen by Amir. He would have to tell the x, y, z coordinates of the tweeter to the software. Is it the case ? If not, the Klippel is probably detecting the axis where the treble response is the strongest.
It is rather a good thing that all speakers are mesured equally. In doubt, we have to read the listening window curve instead of the on-axis curve.
The fact that the speaker was designed to have a best response in a different direction must be taken into account when we interpret the measurements.

I Don't know about the KH-80, but the KH-120 are more sensitive than the 305P to this. We can see below that the in-room curve of the JBL follows closely the anechoic curve, while the one the the Neumann KH-120 is somewhat different.
Both in-room curves were measured a bit above the tweeter's axis. The distance is 2 meters, and the top side of the speaker can just be seen from the listening position.

114_Neumann_All.png

113_JBL_All.png

View attachment 46852

Are people OK with the tail of the response being cut off this way? I can shift the directivity plots up so that is not a problem.

I prefer this vertical range.
What do you mean with the tail being cut off ? You mean the left part of the directivity indexes ? Can't we offset them so that they are displayed at a higher position ?

Can't tell if this was a joke, but from everything I've seen online, they are essentially the same barring aesthetic changes, For instance, the mkii appears to hiss as badly as any other iteration...

What about the difference in frequency response ? I thought that only the 305P mkII had the treble boost, and that the original LSR 305 was more neutral.

To illustrate the differences more clearly, here's the KH80's on-axis performance as measured by the Klippel, Neumann, Sound&Recording, and me (quasi anechoically), scaled to match aspet ratio. It kind of concerns me that the Klippel is the biggest outlier in terms of broad FR shape. We know the reference axis was a bit off, but I'd consider these differences of significant amplitude given the precision we're aiming for here.

View attachment 46873

Thanks for the comparison.
Neumann's measurement should be discarded, as it is self-referent : the speaker was designed to sound flat according Neumann's measurements, therefore Neumann's curve is obviously flat.

But there is Indeed a difference between near-field direct measurements, as yours, and Klippel's holographic measurement. One explanation, given above, is that holographic measurement gives an accurate result, while direct near-field captation is an approximation. To confirm this, we need to understand the limitations of direct measurement, if they exist.
We might, if we get the chance, compare with other measurement methods. Half space might not settle the argument, as it is a bit inaccurate in this frequency range, where there is a transition between direct radiation and half-space radiation.
Ground plane (microphone against a concrete plane) might be interesting.
True free-field would be ideal, but it requires a lot of Equipment (a crane to lift the speaker far above the ground).

urfaust

Once again this cliché: flat frequency response = flat music? NO! Just listen to better mastered stuff!
That's not what i meant, it sounded flat as in a correct frequency response to my ears but imo lacked dynamic, definition and separation you can begin to expect from that kind of mid/high end monitors. Of course on tracks i know well enough to have a point of comparison.

Palex

Amazon says that is discontinued. is it?
Yes it is right, KRK Rokit 5 RP5G3 is laid off. The new G4 series, but I didn't listen to it.
P.S. Many thanks for your, huge work.
I ask you, don't do the review on ProAC Response D Two. I already old also won't be able to replace them))))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom