• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

jasonhirt23

So, very new to all the in's and out's to electrical and indepth sound quality but I have a question. What is the volts and amps usage during stand by mode(sleep), eco mode, and regular mode? I am a full time Rv'er(5th wheel trailer) and really want to use my 3500 but need to make sure it will be able to run on my breakers. Love all this tech stuff. Just wish I was smart enough to understand alot of it. I have some basic knowledge though but very basic.
Thanks for the responses!

kernelpanic

Thanks @amirm for the review of the x3500h! It is definitely disappointing to see these results. Here's my question to the forum, since we know the Denon line mostly uses the ak4458 all the way up to the x6x00h. What's the likelihood that they all measure this bad? Typically you're just getting more channels of amplification after the x3500h with similar internals right?

Along the same line, the Marantz AV7705 uses the ak4458 as well and we know Marantz is basically Denon inside. I have been considering this one for a primary home theater build and the ak4458 measurements here now have me second guessing.

To prove out if this is a Denon/Marantz thing, I looked at your other reviews and the Pioneer LSX303 also has the ak4458 and measures just as bad as the x3500h. Could this be bad implementation of the 4458 across the board?

Gedeon

Forum Donor
To be honest, by any means I’d judge as “bad” 95db snr, 1,2volts output, and 83db 5watts this product at its usual price.

doodlebro

Thanks @amirm for the review of the x3500h! It is definitely disappointing to see these results. Here's my question to the forum, since we know the Denon line mostly uses the ak4458 all the way up to the x6x00h. What's the likelihood that they all measure this bad? Typically you're just getting more channels of amplification after the x3500h with similar internals right?

Along the same line, the Marantz AV7705 uses the ak4458 as well and we know Marantz is basically Denon inside. I have been considering this one for a primary home theater build and the ak4458 measurements here now have me second guessing.

To prove out if this is a Denon/Marantz thing, I looked at your other reviews and the Pioneer LSX303 also has the ak4458 and measures just as bad as the x3500h. Could this be bad implementation of the 4458 across the board?

Maybe it's just me, I don't have the expectation that any all in one system like a receiver is going to measure well when compared against discrete components. I don't know why there is such a push to say that something was "implemented poorly" when mass-production has more to do with it than anything. While it may measure poorly for us, the 1% of the 1% that care, the other 99.9% of sales will not notice ill effects in reality and that makes it a successful product. The point of a mass produced receiver is not to have audiophile level architecture and design, not sure where such high expectations are coming from.

If you are truly concerned about things measuring well, it's entirely counter-intuitive to shop for and expect a jack-of-all-trades device to achieve this. Buy discrete components that measure well (and don't depreciate like receivers do).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's just me, I don't have the expectation that any all in one system like a receiver is going to measure well when compared against discrete components. I don't know why there is such a push to say that something was "implemented poorly" when mass-production has more to do with it than anything.

I'd argue the problem with these Denon units is the very poor preamp performance above 1.5v output. Below that, the SINAD is quite respectable for the price, features, and # of channels. Denon should indeed be pressured to fix that engineering issue.

However, if you're someone who owns one of these or is considering buying one, there's really no reason to spend a lot more money or lose sleep over it. 80/0db on the volume setting with a Denon, at 2.1m listening distance from ~82db/W/m(Magnepan 1.7i, idk, their sensitivity spec is sketchy) speakers produces more than 85db(a) averaged over 1s with tv/film content and typically >95db(a) with music. It's very loud, unless your external amp is underpowered or has unusually low gain.

The amplifier stage SINAD is 84db, which is better than average for amplifiers especially given the hilariously low price per channel here.

Most likely there are no audible issues here for anybody, unless they need more power. The amount of money you need to spend to get significantly better performance is pretty staggering to say the least, based on the options we've seen so far. It's not even reasonable to compare to stereo-only amplifiers that cost more than the entire price of this zillion-function unit.

doodlebro

I'd argue the problem with these Denon units is the very poor preamp performance above 1.5v output...Denon should indeed be pressured to fix that engineering issue.

Should they though? It sort of feels like you're talking past manufacturers with your expectations here. You're saying "You need to spend time and money to fix this." And I won't be surprised if the response across most manufacturers is: "No, we don't need to fix anything. We're selling more products than ever." Especially when nobody can implement the ak4458 DAC well as seen by the other reviews... It's not like Denon is being shady and publishing stats like "1000W all channels driven!!!" That would be deplorable.

It's backwards. We should try to understand why Denon or any other manufacturer made the choices they made before we make recommendations for improvement or say that their implementation is bad. We're putting the cart before the horse in a lot of cases because Amir releases data that is mediocre by his standards and everyone jumps on the bandwagon like they've always known receivers were implemented poorly. It's comical really.

Don't get me wrong, Amir is a great dude and he's doing thankless work, but we really need to tone down the worship aspect and quit acting like we have the same standards and expertise as the guy running this site. A receiver's pre-out is not poor if the amplifier matched to it does not need 1.5V output. So many of us are making sweeping judgements when it is a case by case basis that determines how well something will perform.

Example, I have pretty high standards compared to most of my peers. I still don't consider myself to be as obsessed with this stuff as Amir. Recently I bought the NAD T758 V3 even though it is one of the worst rated receivers Amir has reviewed. I bought it to replace a Denon AVR x2200W and it sounds objectively better, not even taking Dirac vs Audyssey into account.

So, many of you see that review and go "Gah! I will never buy a NAD product!" But is that really fair to the R&D that NAD put into the product? No, I would argue it isn't. You have to understand the holistic picture before you can judge the end product. Amir's review is just one data point at the tail end of the process. I for one am SUPER interested in finding out what compromises and trade-offs NAD made in the development of this product, but we're never gonna get there if our community has such outlandish and entitled expectations from manufacturers who don't even know who we are.

Sure, some manufacturers might have a detail oriented engineer who cares enough about our opinions to influence things, but that's a crap shoot. We've got to find a better way to talk to manufacturers than "Hey look at this review it shows your products are shit."

jasonhirt23

So, very new to all the in's and out's to electrical and indepth sound quality but I have a question. What is the volts and amps usage during stand by mode(sleep), eco mode, and regular mode? I am a full time Rv'er(5th wheel trailer) and really want to use my 3500 but need to make sure it will be able to run on my breakers. Love all this tech stuff. Just wish I was smart enough to understand alot of it. I have some basic knowledge though but very basic.
Thanks for the responses!

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you are truly concerned about things measuring well, it's entirely counter-intuitive to shop for and expect a jack-of-all-trades device to achieve this. Buy discrete components that measure well (and don't depreciate like receivers do).

That would be great, unfortunately you cannot buy separate components that do the same as a receiver (hdmi selector, hdmi out, atmos, HDR, 4k, dac, all kind of inputs, etc) and measure well. You can buy a preprocessor and external amps but when it comes to preprocessors they measure bad as well and are much more expensive so probably you're better off using the receiver preouts.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I dunno what "buy discrete components" means when there's no such thing if you want to decode Atmos and other newer HT formats. If you don't want to decode that stuff, well then you don't really need an AVR at all.

We've got to find a better way to talk to manufacturers than "Hey look at this review it shows your products are shit."

I don't expect Denon to fix this issue with this specific AVR, they probably can't, but it would be nice if it didn't show up in future products, that's all. Other manufacturers have fixed things or changed things in future products due to the reviews on this site, it's not that crazy of an expectation.

Bear123

Recently I bought the NAD T758 V3 even though it is one of the worst rated receivers Amir has reviewed. I bought it to replace a Denon AVR x2200W and it sounds objectively better, not even taking Dirac vs Audyssey into account.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying regarding measurements that are deemed "ZOMG horrible" when they are actually audibly not detectable 99.99% of the time i.e. in the real world, such as with the Denon X3500. However, on what grounds can you say NAD sounds "objectively better" than your Denon, when objective measurements show that this is most likely false? Since you are excluding the difference Dirac makes. If it has higher distortion, higher noise, and other measurements that are audibly worse, how can it sound objectively better?

I would need some pretty solid proof that Dirac sounds substantially better than Audysey XT32 and subeq HT(in order to accept the poor measured performance and substantial bug/glitch/problems with NAD). I have exceptionally high quality dual subs and only eq below Schroeder with relatively well designed speakers. I have a hard time believing that using a different room eq program to eq only the lower frequencies would make some kind of drastic night and day difference in sound quality. I'm not saying it can't be true, I just haven't seen convincing evidence outside of subjective impressions, which tend to go both ways.

I do think that if the Denon had a cleaner pre-out signal up to 2 volts, it would be a much more attractive AVR for anyone using a good separate amp(if more than 1.5 volts are needed). I'm not 100% sure how many of the well regarded amps require more than 1.5volts to reach full power such as Nord's NC500, Monoprice Monolith, etc, but it does seem counterproductive to feed a 75 dB signal to a high quality amp with a 95 dB or higher rating.

I've been considering a separate amp for at least my LCR, and I'm very glad to know that the Denon is not as clean above 1.5 volts. It will possibly affect which amp I get, or perhaps even influence an AVR switch/upgrade.

doodlebro

That would be great, unfortunately you cannot buy separate components that do the same as a receiver (hdmi selector, hdmi out, atmos, HDR, 4k, dac, all kind of inputs, etc) and measure well. You can buy a preprocessor and external amps but when it comes to preprocessors they measure bad as well and are much more expensive so probably you're better off using the receiver preouts.

Let's break this down. You're saying there are no pre-processors that measure well? I think this has more to do with the fact that Amir has not measured many pre/pros... Are we really making leaps this far in the absence of data...?

Further, if pre-pros really do measure poorly, you're saying we should try to make receivers measure better with these reviews? Your thoughts are not consistent and I don't know how a manufacturer will ever put more effort into lower tier products than is put into products of a higher tier.

Yeah I dunno what "buy discrete components" means when there's no such thing if you want to decode Atmos and other newer HT formats. If you don't want to decode that stuff, well then you don't really need an AVR at all.

Other manufacturers have fixed things or changed things in future products due to the reviews on this site

Buy discrete components means don't expect something that is inherently an integrated product with multiple components, like an AVR, to measure well, period. This is especially important when comparisons are being made between say, an AVR and a dedicated headphone DAC: it's an apple to orange comparison. Further, there are plenty of pre/pros on the market that keep up with the latest standards. Just because Amir has not measured them does not make them bad.

I don't expect Denon to fix this issue with this specific AVR, they probably can't, but it would be nice if it didn't show up in future products, that's all.

It is clear that the DAC performance in this receiver is the same across all manufacturers that used the same DAC. So, what does Denon have to do with it...? Are we going to write a letter to all of the manufacturers of this DAC since it appears to be the way all of them have implemented it? Your interpretation is not consistent with the true reality of the situation and makes no effort to understand why the manufacturer made the choices they did in the first place, which was my initial point here. You're not an expert but you're making statements like you are one...

What about "this issue with this specific AVR" is detrimental to your needs and why is it Denon's job to fix this before their next string of products? Is it so that they can sell 50/500/5000 more receivers to people like us? I don't see the value prop there, I'm not sure Denon or another manufacturer would either.

Other manufacturers have fixed things or changed things in future products due to the reviews on this site, it's not that crazy of an expectation.

It'd be great if you provided proof of this beyond anecdotes, but I will guess that the number of products "fixed" directly because of an ASR review is insignificant compared to the number of products reviewed. It's certainly insignificant in the universe of all home audio products.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying regarding measurements that are deemed "ZOMG horrible" when they are actually audibly not detectable 99.99% of the time i.e. in the real world, such as with the Denon X3500. However, on what grounds can you say NAD sounds "objectively better" than your Denon, when objective measurements show that this is most likely false? Since you are excluding the difference Dirac makes. If it has higher distortion, higher noise, and other measurements that are audibly worse, how can it sound objectively better?

For one, the NAD takes less volume to achieve the same volume levels. This is connected to the exact same speakers (actually, the NAD has two additional heights) and the exact same sources. Generally, volume levels for the Denon were between -20 to -30dB for comfortable listening. On the NAD it's more like -30 to -40dB. Differences were much clearer near reference volumes: the Denon would get very harsh if not unpleasant due to distortion and noise at -10dB whereas the NAD didn't have that bite to it at the same level. This effect is even more pronounced after adding an A5175 to the mix for the front channels.

Amir is going to measure the 2200w at some point, I think it will help myself make a better understanding of his reviews and how they can be used to inform our decisions since I bought his worst rated receiver to replace it and I love it.

I would need some pretty solid proof that Dirac sounds substantially better than Audysey XT32 and subeq HT(in order to accept the poor measured performance and substantial bug/glitch/problems with NAD). I have exceptionally high quality dual subs and only eq below Schroeder with relatively well designed speakers. I have a hard time believing that using a different room eq program to eq only the lower frequencies would make some kind of drastic night and day difference in sound quality. I'm not saying it can't be true, I just haven't seen convincing evidence outside of subjective impressions, which tend to go both ways.

Have you tried listening to a Dirac system? It's less of a black box than Audyssey and I would argue that you are letting the perceptions of others color something that should ultimately be a choice made by you and your own ears, preferably blindly. I used to get caught up in "oh this is buggy/this glitches/whatever excuse I can come up with" and after deciding that the best data we can collect is between our own ears I've had a much better time enjoying and quantifying the differences.

I do think that if the Denon had a cleaner pre-out signal up to 2 volts, it would be a much more attractive AVR for anyone using a good separate amp(if more than 1.5 volts are needed). I'm not 100% sure how many of the well regarded amps require more than 1.5volts to reach full power such as Nord's NC500, Monoprice Monolith, etc, but it does seem counterproductive to feed a 75 dB signal to a high quality amp with a 95 dB or higher rating.

I've been considering a separate amp for at least my LCR, and I'm very glad to know that the Denon is not as clean above 1.5 volts. It will possibly affect which amp I get, or perhaps even influence an AVR switch/upgrade.

I agree that it would be nice if Denon's receivers measured cleanly at 2V, but again I ask: What is their incentive to do so? Where is the value prop? Spit-balling to make a point here: a manufacturer may have to spend 150% of R&D in order to make a 1% improvement from their current baseline. Would you do that because an internet forum told you your products measure poorly...?

Hell, my NAD T758 V3 barely outputs respectable numbers at 1V and outputs shit at 2V, but the amplifier I have paired it with takes 1.1V for rated power and so far the match has been very harmonious.

At the end of the day, we're just internet nerds. We have to meet manufacturers halfway and understand their side before we try and inform them how their products are bad. I would say fewer than 20 members here (including Amir) have the pedigree and authority to intelligently challenge manufacturers after making measurements. Those are the people who should be making comments on how manufacturers should change their products, not the laymen who became an expert after discovering ASR.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy discrete components means don't expect something that is inherently an integrated product with multiple components, like an AVR, to measure well, period. This is especially important when comparisons are being made between say, an AVR and a dedicated headphone DAC: it's an apple to orange comparison. Further, there are plenty of pre/pros on the market that keep up with the latest standards. Just because Amir has not measured them does not make them bad.

There actually aren't very many pre/pros with the feature set I care about below astronomical price points, no. I have no idea if they measure well or not. Pretty much the only one is the Monoprice HTP-1. The similar Emotiva option is crap that doesn't even have the promised room correction months after release.

In any case, it doesn't seem productive to continue discussing this with somebody who seems hellbent on defending Denon's mistakes as "just par for the course".

doodlebro

Pretty much the only one is the Monoprice HTP-1.

First you said there was no such thing, but now there's at least one depending on budget. Maybe gather your thoughts a bit before replying? It's hard to understand someone who doesn't have consistent arguments.

In any case, it doesn't seem productive to continue discussing this with somebody who seems hellbent on defending Denon's mistakes as "just par for the course".

Oh the irony. I'm simply trying to understand the other side, that's why I'm asking so many questions.

You really haven't addressed how it is that Denon is responsible for the way a DAC has been implemented across the industry in AVRs... Perhaps we should start by understanding why every AVR using this DAC measured poorly (based on the overall implementation) and why it was "good enough" for the engineers at all of these companies. I don't think anyone would disagree that this will help bridge the gap better than us shouting across it "Hey, your products suck!"

Refusing to entertain and elaborate on your thoughts is equivalent to sticking your head in the sand, but you do you.

Bear123

Have you tried listening to a Dirac system? It's less of a black box than Audyssey and I would argue that you are letting the perceptions of others color something that should ultimately be a choice made by you and your own ears, preferably blindly. I used to get caught up in "oh this is buggy/this glitches/whatever excuse I can come up with" and after deciding that the best data we can collect is between our own ears I've had a much better time enjoying and quantifying the differences.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing this but the logistics and amount of work required to try to accurately compare the two would be a tremendous amount of effort. I can imagine running room correction for all my speakers and subs for both units, level matching, then somehow switching back and forth between AVR's by switching all cables...blindly, quickly enough for the comparison to be valid.......

I'm still doubtful since, unless I'm listening louder than either AVR can cleanly perform, everything above 500 Hz or so will be the same. Perhaps full range eq with Dirac would be "better" than Audysey whether full range or below Schroeder only, but I'm pretty content to blindly follow the direction given by Floyd Toole's research that well designed speakers should not be eq'd full range.

Putter

Forum Donor
For one, the NAD takes less volume to achieve the same volume levels. This is connected to the exact same speakers (actually, the NAD has two additional heights) and the exact same sources. Generally, volume levels for the Denon were between -20 to -30dB for comfortable listening. On the NAD it's more like -30 to -40dB. Differences were much clearer near reference volumes: the Denon would get very harsh if not unpleasant due to distortion and noise at -10dB whereas the NAD didn't have that bite to it at the same level. This effect is even more pronounced after adding an A5175 to the mix for the front channels.

Amir is going to measure the 2200w at some point, I think it will help myself make a better understanding of his reviews and how they can be used to inform our decisions since I bought his worst rated receiver to replace it and I love it.

I have to ask did you check those levels with a sound meter? Stated levels of loudness are not standardized among manufacturers. I'm not doubting that you like the NAD better, but rather that the levels weren't matched or that it was an instantaneous A/B comparison.

carlob

Forum Donor
I have no idea if they measure well or not

The Nad flagship pre-processor has been measured here. It costs north of 6K (add a zero to the Denon price) and measures...well, read it by yourself :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Nad flagship pre-processor has been measured here. It costs north of 6K (add a zero to the Denon price) and measures...well, read it by yourself :)

Yeah, to me that stuff(NAD/Emotiva) has been obsoleted by the Monoprice HTP-1, which has 16 actual balanced outs, working Dirac(lol Emotiva) and Auro3D. $4000 is still a ridiculous amount of money to spend when you get 90%(minus Dirac and balanced outs, only) of the functionality out of a Denon AVR that costs thousands less.

As much as I like measurements, if it doesn't have the features I need it doesn't really matter how it measures. If I was going to spend $6K, I'd just buy a JBL SDP-55 when that comes out, as it has way more functionality than anything else.

carlob

Forum Donor
I don't need 16 outs, I have a 5.4.2 system. To me if you are on the market now and can buy an AVR with preouts that measures so-so and costs under 1k or a pre-pro that measures marginally better for 4k there is no contest.

doodlebro

I have to ask did you check those levels with a sound meter? Stated levels of loudness are not standardized among manufacturers. I'm not doubting that you like the NAD better, but rather that the levels weren't matched or that it was an instantaneous A/B comparison.

Yes, that is with volume calibrated to the same comfortable volume level.

Top Bottom